1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

EM5 makes manual glass sooo fun to use...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by OdzBodkinz, May 3, 2012.

1. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    and I've found I'm getting better with practice. I think it's taken me awhile to remember the tricks I used "back in the day" when all we had were manual focusing lenses. I've gotten a little 'lazy' with the auto focusing situation; but also, there are some drawbacks with the autofocus lenses; sort of akin to the autofocusing video camera -- suddenly focusing on the 'wrong' target if something moves into the field of view. The OM-D is so fast at focusing and sometimes I want to tell it "hey -- stop that; I already know what distance I want!) For example, speakers at a podium; once you know the depth of field you want and have established focus that's sharp, except for very tight head shots, you shouldn't need to refocus between shots or between speakers, for that matter. With high speed races, I would establish focus on a stationery object in the FOV I wanted and when objects moved into that FOV they would be sharp; just need fast FPS and probably one or two will be fine.

[NOTE: is there a way to separate autofocus from the shutter button? On my 1Dmkxx, 5Dmkxx, and most other Canon DSLRs, I could switch the exposure lock with the AF with a custom function]

• Like Like x 1
  2. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Here's how: In AEL/AFL go to S-AF and set Mode 3. This makes the shutter button give AEL for a half press and Exposure for a full. Then go into B: Button/Dial, select Button Function, and set Fn2 to AEL/AFL

In this case, AF is activated by the F2 button instead of the shutter. (You can use a different button if you'd like...)

Hope this helps.

3. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Thanks. Just saw your post. Don't know why I missed it. I'll experiment. But now I'm thinking I'm a button short due to the recent revelation of obtaining a kind of focus peaking using the key line II style to aid in acquiring manual focus.

4. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    In body Image stabilization works great. You have to manually set the focal length. Use manual focus with image enlargement for sharp focus. This also works for Lumix but not IS. One thing I wonder is ,if you use a zoom ,how do you adjust the focal length? I guess you just have to decide in advance.

Here is a shot taken with a Canon 300MM 2.8.Hand held!

OM--D_Canon_300mm.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Ha! I'm in the same boat, but in reverse. :smile: I haven't played with the focus peaking workaround (yet) for this reason.

6. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I just got my 1st legacy lens for the the OM-D...a zuiko Auto-S, MC 50 mm f1.4 and she is really sweet.

I've figured out the zoom focus assist and config'd it for the Rec (red dot) button (1st press to activate the green box; 2nd to zoom in; 3rd to zoom out).

Too bad there isn't an option to confirm focus like a beep or target box blink. With contrast detection focusing, I'd have thought that should be relatively straightforward to do...just needs to asses light striking the sensor chip and give an acknowledge when focus is attained...just like with modern glass. THe psuedo focus peaking method using the Art filter Keyline can be used and mapped to a MySet setting ready to quickly deploy when needed. Not sure it works for me...need more testing with it.

Here's an early test shot at f1.4:

147043094.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.