1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM5 makes manual glass sooo fun to use...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by OdzBodkinz, May 3, 2012.

1. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    EM5 and 85mm 1.8 Nikkor AiS

P5030022-X2.

And two with the 105mm Nikkor f/4 Micro

P5030028-2-X2.

P5030037-2-X2.

• Like Like x 10
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I'm just curious, what makes it better for manual lenses?

3. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Über ois I'd imagine.

4. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    The IBIS does feel well with this one

5. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    Rock steady view in the viewfinder courtesy of the new IBIS. Makes focusing a longer lens a dream.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Fine portraits Joshua.

7. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Nice shots! I love shooting with the OMD and Pen Mini. Makes my job fun again.

8. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    nice! ibis set on one?

9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I've been playing around with legacy lenses on the E-M5. Has anyone found a way to keep the camera in magnify mode while half-pressing the shutter to activate live view stabilization?

When I half-press the shutter, the display goes back to non-magnified view...

Edit: Just found the answer. Doh! So it seems you can set it to stay in magnified mode. Phew!

10. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Yes it does make legacy lenses even more of a joy to use. Since dogs seem to be featuring here, here's Peggy, shot with a 90mm Elmar from 1946, with the E-M5 set to 3200 in quite dim light. Lens almost wide open.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    My E-M5 arrived today and I agree, the camera makes using legacy glass very nice. I'm trying the Fn2 button for digital tele-converter just to digital magnify view 2x (for focusing) and it works well for that purpose. Instant 2x with one touch and then away again with one touch. I need to try the magnify feature as well. The various controls on the camera are excellent.

With Zeiss Planar 85mm f/1.4 lens
    P5070024-Edit.

P5070036.

With Zeiss Planar 85mm f/1.4 lens
    P5070042.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Wonderful portrait

• Like Like x 1
  13. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Is there a way to keep the focus square active?
    I have function 2 for magnify,but I have to press first, to call up the focus square, then again to magnify.
    I also have function 1 set for digital tele converter which doubles the focal length of any lens, but I,first have to press ok to make the green square go away before it works.

14. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    Once the magnify reticle box is active it is only one push to magnify the image in the box.

15. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    Don, those are great!

16. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Thank you guys for the kind remarks. I'm enjoying the camera quite a bit with my legacy glass.

Not sure of the answer. I'm just now trying out the magnify on Fn2... works quickly with two quick presses (if the focus square is where you want it to be) otherwise pretty quick to bring
    up the square... move it where you want it to be, then tap again to magnify.

17. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I love your tag line!

18. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Yes,but you must first press to activate so ,two presses.

19. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    In addition the EVF adjusts brightness/exposure so that even stopped down you can still see to focus. a major issue with using manual lenses on my 1Dmk3 was I'd have to be wide open to focus (using a split screen focusing screen helped) and then stop down to a desired aperture if preferred before shooting.

By the way I want to mention something about the magnify feature. One way I test legacy glass is to see how easily I can manually focus without having to use the magnify feature. Great glass offers excellent contrast and thus in many lighting situations, not all, I should be able to focus without the need to magnify. I look for lenses that have a proper throw that allows me to fine tune the focus. I also test my acuity by focusing first, then magnify and see how well I did. After several tests if I find that when I magnify there was no need for further adjusting, then I know I can generally hit focus with that lens without needing to bother with that extra 2step dance.

20. tonys05

tonys05 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2010
    Philly
    I agree completely with the IBIS. I hooked up my ZF.2 lenses (28/2, 35/2, 50MP and 100MP) first to my XPro1; then to my rented OM-D. about 12 shots each, indoors. No keepers at from any of the Fuji; 3 real keepers from the OM-D, and a couple marginal

• Like Like x 1