Em5 Lens Adapter Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by iso640, Dec 7, 2013.

1. iso640

iso640 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    I currently shoot with a Panny GX1 (and love it) but I wanted a m43 with a viewfinder and have been lusting after the EM5 for a while and finally bit the bullet yesterday. What I'm wondering is if my Minolta lens adapter for the GX1 will fit the EM5. It's a Fotodiox MD-m43 adapter. I'm guessing yes but wanted to verify.

Also, are there any threads with tips for the new EM5 user? I do mostly street and abandonment shooting... so one is on the move and off the tripod, while the other is mostly on the tripod with longer exposures (which may be a better candidate for the Minolta lens).
  2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Adapter works. There is "no shoot without lens" software switch on Olympus, so your adapter lenses will work w/o fussing. I like having my FN2 button set for magnify mode. It is may need to be initialized in default mode on a new camera. Press FN2 and turn the wheel around the shutter button. One of four choices is magnify, After it is selected, when you press FN2, the focus box pops up. A second press magnifies the screen. The magnification size can be changed too. Press INFO when magnified and rotate the shutter wheel to change. Once all is set, press FN2 once to get focus box. Second press gets magnify.

See this link for other suggestions. It mentions enabling the super control panel (SCP). Most users do this. Then pressing "OK" shows you most shooting parameters and it is easy to change them.

It takes a while to learn the Olympus menu, but after you do, all their current cameras, even the compact XZ1. are similar.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sanjay Mehta

Sanjay Mehta New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2013
    I have exactly the same adapter and the em5 and it works as expected.

A useful trick for manual focussing: map the art filter 11 type 2 to Fn1. When pressed, this approximates focus peaking. I saw this tip on dpreview with complete instructions.

Sent using Tapatalk.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. fredsh

fredsh Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Can anyone give their experience with Fotodiox adapters? I have a few "OM" lenses that I'd like to use on my EM5. Also, there's a "pro" line that is roughly twice the price of the 'non pro'. Does anyone no what the difference is?
  5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I have two fotodiox adapters. Nothing wrong with them. I have about six adapters with various "names" off ebay. Nothing wrong with them either. Given a choice of buying a fotodiox for about $28 shipped off amazon, or something off ebay for $6-12 shipped plus a 2-3 week wait, I opt for the cheaper approach and buy two off ebay instead. Either way, it's not much money so do what you like.

The OM adapter is really a simple design with no moving parts. What can go wrong with adapters is they copy the mounts wrong so the connections wobble, or they get the length wrong which affects infinity/close focus. These are quality control issues. I figure anyone with a good rep selling on ebay has found a supplier that knows what he is doing. I might not buy the $5.99 adapter currently on ebay, but would be comfortable at $12.

Looks like the Pro line gives you some blue paint and maybe someone took the time to make sure it's exactly at the proper register distance. If an adapter is too long, you can't focus the lens to infinity. Most vendors therefore err on the short side. Too short, and they focus well past infinity, the distance markings on the lens cannot be trusted, and close focus distance is also lost. If you want to be able to trust the lens distance markings, maybe a Pro adapter is needed.It might be more parallel too. They say that being off a little on parallism plays havoc when you shoot a test chart. Doesn't matter much in the real world unless everything you shot is exactly parallel to your sensor plane.

Getting the right thickness is tricky and I don't know that it's needed. I once shimmed an FD adapter so my 135mm hit infinity exactly as indicated on the scale. Then it was too long for my 85mm lens. Even my official Olympus MF1 has a little slop in it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have a fotodiox adapter (non-pro) and it works fine. Depending on the lens, you can also adjust the infinity stop on the helical to match the adapter, as some of the old lenses have wandered over time.
    • Like Like x 1