EM5 Images Coming Out Bright RED

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by GnedTheGnome, May 14, 2015.

1. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

I just picked up a second-hand EM5, and I'm having the oddest thing happen. Every picture I take, regardless of the white balance setting, is coming out looking as if I'm shooting through a red filter. The exact color of red varies, from deep magenta to orangy-red, depending on the WB setting, but they are all red. The only exception is the first one-touch setting, which strips the image of all the red, including the red that should be there, and leaves it a strange cyan/magenta duotone kind of thing. Has anyone had this happen? Did I accidentally tweak a setting while I was exploring the menus, or did I get a dud camera?

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    how does raw file look? if it's only affecting JPGs I bet it's in the settings.

3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Reset the camera.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Go into the menu and select "factory reset".
    If that doesn't solve it you have been sold a faulty camera and need to redress that.

5. GnedTheGnome

I did a complete reset, and it's better, but not completely solved. :-( I guess I'll be contacting the seller, and hoping that they do the right thing.

6. GnedTheGnome

Good thinking/ :) Unfortunately, it's in the raw files as well. Not good.

7. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Could it be an infrared converted camera - perhaps the seller wasn't aware of?

Take the lens off and have a look at the sensor/filter inside the camera. If it's blue-ish that would suggest normality (hot-mirror.) If it's obviously red-ish - it's more likely to have been converted. (Hot mirror removed and replaced by IR pass filter.)

Just a thought.

8. GnedTheGnome

Interesting thought. What I can see appears grey with a slight rainbow sheen, like a CD, but darker. No obvious red-tone. Interestingly, it was taking pictures fine under sodium vapor lights last night, but anything in more normal lighting is red. I'm thinking maybe there's a problem with whatever does the color sensing, and it's over-compensating for any blue light it picks up.

In any case, I've contacted the seller, and I'm waiting to see how they respond.

9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Its a WB issue. Try auto WB and see if that helps.

10. GnedTheGnome

As I said in my original post, I've tried every WB setting in the camera. Auto, sunshine, incandescent, fluorescent, cloudy, ... They're all bright red.

11. Christopher

Christopher Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    Toronto
    have you tried setting custom WB?

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Example?