EM5 Images Coming Out Bright RED

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by GnedTheGnome, May 14, 2015.

1. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

I just picked up a second-hand EM5, and I'm having the oddest thing happen. Every picture I take, regardless of the white balance setting, is coming out looking as if I'm shooting through a red filter. The exact color of red varies, from deep magenta to orangy-red, depending on the WB setting, but they are all red. The only exception is the first one-touch setting, which strips the image of all the red, including the red that should be there, and leaves it a strange cyan/magenta duotone kind of thing. Has anyone had this happen? Did I accidentally tweak a setting while I was exploring the menus, or did I get a dud camera?

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    how does raw file look? if it's only affecting JPGs I bet it's in the settings.

3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Reset the camera.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Go into the menu and select "factory reset".
    If that doesn't solve it you have been sold a faulty camera and need to redress that.

5. GnedTheGnome

I did a complete reset, and it's better, but not completely solved. :-( I guess I'll be contacting the seller, and hoping that they do the right thing.

6. GnedTheGnome

Good thinking/ :) Unfortunately, it's in the raw files as well. Not good.

7. Could it be an infrared converted camera - perhaps the seller wasn't aware of?

Take the lens off and have a look at the sensor/filter inside the camera. If it's blue-ish that would suggest normality (hot-mirror.) If it's obviously red-ish - it's more likely to have been converted. (Hot mirror removed and replaced by IR pass filter.)

Just a thought.

8. GnedTheGnome

Interesting thought. What I can see appears grey with a slight rainbow sheen, like a CD, but darker. No obvious red-tone. Interestingly, it was taking pictures fine under sodium vapor lights last night, but anything in more normal lighting is red. I'm thinking maybe there's a problem with whatever does the color sensing, and it's over-compensating for any blue light it picks up.

In any case, I've contacted the seller, and I'm waiting to see how they respond.

9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Its a WB issue. Try auto WB and see if that helps.

10. GnedTheGnome

As I said in my original post, I've tried every WB setting in the camera. Auto, sunshine, incandescent, fluorescent, cloudy, ... They're all bright red.

11. Christopher

Christopher Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    Toronto
    have you tried setting custom WB?

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Example?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.