em5 iii tripod thread breaking?

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Possible over tightening with the Allen Key. Use of the capture plate attached to a rucksack strap when walking, may have attributed to the fault. But I think it is a flimsy camera base which is the problem.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I think the issue may be that the plate on the bottom of the camera itself, the one held in place by the three small screws, actually stands proud of the rest of the bottom plate of the camera. I don't think that screwing a wider plate to the tripod socket does much to distribute the load, but may limit the amount of perceived flex to whichever it is attached by 'bottoming out' or limiting the movement of the outboard ends of attached plate. Perhaps if the plate that one would attach had some type of moderately hard but pliable rubber it may mitigate any 'flex' by filling the void that currently exists when a flat, rigid plate spans past the areas that stand proud of the camera's tripod plate.

Does that make sense or did I turn my attempt at a simple explanation into a science project ?
It makes a certain amount of sense to me, but I think it is hard to tell exactly what is happening without, um, doing a science project.

There's one potential problem with using a regular large mounting plate. At least with my E-M10II, certain lenses could not be mounted on it and then use a standard plate. The problem is that the diameter of the lens is so large that the lens protrudes beyond the edge of the bottom of the camera.

For example, my P12-35 2.8 lens is so fat that the edge of the lens hits the edge of any standard mounting plate attached to the E-M10II camera. The only way around it is to use a small plate that does not protrude beyond the edge of the camera (or add something like foam rubber to make the camera sit higher). If I remember correctly, the P20mm 1.7 has the same problem. I have a really small plate that came with a small Sirui tripod (T-024X) that can do this, but it seems like it might be worrisome with the E-M5III.

I have tried the P12-35 2.8 with large standard plate on the E-M5III and it is VERY close to touching the edge of the plate. I can imagine that some lenses would cause a problem. This is less of a problem than with E-M10 models because the E-M5III is taller, so the lens has to be really fat to protrude below the bottom.

Dogbert62

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
I think the issue may be that the plate on the bottom of the camera itself, the one held in place by the three small screws, actually stands proud of the rest of the bottom plate of the camera. I don't think that screwing a wider plate to the tripod socket does much to distribute the load, but may limit the amount of perceived flex to whichever it is attached by 'bottoming out' or limiting the movement of the outboard ends of attached plate.
I was zooming in on the ECG-5 grip photo at an online retailer and it *looks like* Olympus has indented the mounting surface near the mounting screw to match the proud section on the baseplate of the camera. It also looks like they have indented in the corners where the camera baseplate has little feet. So, I *think* the OEM plate may sit flush with the bottom of the camera. This may be the way to go...

Regards
Dogbert62

Real Name
[email protected]
I took the PD tripod out to a fly-in event but didn't have the opportunity to use it. I missed most of the planes. I have used the tripod a couple of times on my back porch to shoot a few timelapses. I love that it is quick and easy to deploy and takedown. The camera lock-in is quick, easy and tight. The E-M5 III with one of the smaller primes is super stable on it.

Again, the included plate feels quite solid on it. I COULD probably break it if I REALLY tried, but that's not likely to happen in regular use.

Yeah, the tripod is expensive, but it's REALLY well designed and clever. It's great for smaller cameras. It's a total "buy once, cry once" purchase.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I was zooming in on the ECG-5 grip photo at an online retailer and it *looks like* Olympus has indented the mounting surface near the mounting screw to match the proud section on the baseplate of the camera. It also looks like they have indented in the corners where the camera baseplate has little feet. So, I *think* the OEM plate may sit flush with the bottom of the camera. This may be the way to go...

Regards
Dogbert62
Here's a good shot of that grip. You're right, there is a slightly indented area around the tripod screw. I would have been more interested in it if it had Arca-Swiss flanges on it, like their ECG-4 grip. But, I guess that wasn't possible because the ECG-5 grip is primarily plastic, while the ECG-4 grip is metal. Thanks to BH****** for the images.

Attachments

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I would have been more interested in it if it had Arca-Swiss flanges on it, like their ECG-4 grip. But, I guess that wasn't possible because the ECG-5 grip is primarily plastic, while the ECG-4 grip is metal. Thanks to BH****** for the images.
I hadn't actually realized that the new grip did not also function as a release plate (with Arca-Swiss flanges). If the price hadn't already stopped me, that lack would have. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom