EM5-III CAF performance

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
One thing to remember about C-AF, is that the camera will fire, even if the lens has not reached focus.
Example when I shoot volleyball, I will quickly shift players from A to B and FIRE. The lens is still changing focus from A to B when I fire the first shot, and the odd are that shot #1 will be OOF. Shot #2 is usually in focus, as the lens has finally caught up and has subject B in focus.

I don't use BBF. For me, it is not worth the hassle of changing.
I may change my mind later.

You need to RTFM on YOUR camera, because it can be/is confusing. It was for me.
Continuous Low and continuous High may behave different on your camera.
On my camera Low will AF on EACH frame in a burst.​
But High will focus on frame one, then lock focus, so every shot after that will be focused at the same distance as frame one. So if the subject moves closer or farther, it will be OOF.​
On another camera, High will AF for each frame, but ONLY at 9fps. At 10fps, it would lock focus on frame 1. Did I mention it is confusing.​
And mechanical and electronic shutters may behave different, so again RTFM.

Try the various AF area modes, to see which works for your and your specific subjects.
Example 99+% of the time I use fixed single point, it is only for singles tennis that I use 3x3 area mode. Every other sport, other players are too close to my subject to use area mode.​
But a single child or dog, area might work well for you. You have to try it to determine what works best for YOU.
Recently I have been combining C-AF with High continuous. This seem to provide an interesting operation where the camera continuously focuses at half press while I follow the subject, and than locks on when I trip the shutter. I have been using this with some success with my E-M5 III that does 30fps at high burst. I actually have a better keeper rate sometimes than with C-AF and low continuous with my E-M1 II.

n3eg

Mu-43 Regular
The 12-40 is NOT parfocal at close distances out to about 4 feet. Farther than that at f/2.8 it seems to not be an issue, probably due to DOF but not quite hyperfocal yet.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So it looks like the E-M5iii is comparable to the E-M1X for BIF.
Well, that is not my take on it. Having both the E-M1 II and the E-M5 III, and having shot BiF’s with both, I can assure you there is a difference. The 5.3 just doesn’t have near the performance punch that the E-M1 II has.... much less the E-M1X.

You can do BiF’s with either but the speed to lock focus quickly on small erratic birds is more in the wheelhouse of the 1.2. When I shoot birds in flight with my 5.3 I use C-AF (no tracking) with high speed burst at 30 FPS, locked on the first shot. If you nail the focus on the first shot, a short burst of about 1/3 second (10 images) will normally get a better keeper rate than using the low speed burst with refocusing between each shot... at least that has been my experience so far.

Last edited:

adammaniam

Mu-43 Veteran
More testing. Light wasn't the best, these were all after 6 in the evening. But CAF performance is decent. Will try again in better light (and spend more time doing better PP!).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom