EM5 II vs EM10 II

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by snaimpally, Nov 10, 2015.

1. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Trying to decide between the EM5 II and the EM10 II. The EM5 II is weather sealed and has the super high res mode, but other than that, I'm not sure what other differences there are between the two. Most important for me is that the EM10 II now has 5-axis (rather than 3-axis) IS so both camera bodies now have 5-axis IS, which is why I am having difficulties deciding. Thoughts?

2. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    There is also the fully articulating screen in the E-M5 II and a tilting screen in the E-M10 II. For some folk this is a decisive issue. I have the E-M5 II and love it - my best camera i have owned. I like that it is weather sealed (rainy west of England). I am undecided on the Hi Res mode yet, it is useful under quite limited circumstances. There may be other specs that differentiate them that others may articulate. Both are amazing cameras.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    The three most important differences for me are:

- Maximum mechanical shutter speed (1/8000 vs 1/4000)
    - EVF magnification (0.74x vs 0.615x)
    - Weather sealing

For me, the E-M5 Mk.II would be a no-brainer if I was trying to choose between the two cameras just based on these three. For others, it may not depending on how important these features are as well as budget concerns.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    We have the E-M5 II and the E-M10 I. There is a slight difference in size that is noticeable in the hand. I haven't held the E-M10 II but the E-M5 II ergonomics are wonderful. If nothing else, the weather sealing tips the scale for me.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#594,633

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Weather sealing can be used only with matching lenses, so consider that too.
    Today should be:
    Oly: pro lenses, 60mm, 14-150 II
    Pana: pro lenses, any others?

The E-M5 has more options for external grips, including battery IIRC.

I do not know if the two cameras have exactly the same IBIS components or if the E-M10 II is using the old 5-axis IBIS present on the E-M5 and E-M1.

Other difference is price: the money you save can be used for better lenses, tripod, photo books, courses, expositions, etc.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  6. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I haven't tried the EVF on the EM10ii but the EM5ii's EVF is so much better than the original EM10
    that if the EM10ii EVF is the same as the EM10 then I would definitely buy the EM5ii.

sorry for the tangled sentence

7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    A good friend uses an EM10 quite a bit and he gets greate images from it. His work is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lucdeschepper/

It really does come down to the smaller things on the OMD cameras. IQ is there in all, but do you need the weather sealing, hi-res mode? If so, EM5 Mk II - otherwise as others have already stated, go for the EM10 and use the extra money for more lenses or bank it for a rainy day.

8. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    It's the same one as on the E-M1. 4 stops vs 5 stops on the E-M5II. Regardless, very little real world difference.

9. scott rawson

scott rawson Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    west yorks
    I just got second hand em5ii from user here on forum...just like my old ep5 the em5ii oozes class and feels nice in hand...had the em10 I and It definatley felt cheaper...image output to be fair is very similar across the board...but I paid under £500 pounds for nearly new em5ii...I am more than happy with my choice.

10. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    +Oly 12-50mm
    + 4/3 ZD/Oly lenses ('High' grade and above, generally)

Panasonic has their 'X' series, of which the 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8 are reportedly sealed, but I'm not sure about the 45-175mm 'X'

Barry

11. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I have recently bought a used EM5 Mk2 and bought the metal and very sturdy ECG2 grip as I prefer a simple grip utilising the existing shutter button and controls to using the HLD8 G with extra buttons/ dials which like the HLD6 on the Mk1 is much less pleasant to use for me as getting to the customisable buttons and dials is more awkward and uncomfortable
    After using the Mk2 the only real but significant niggle I have is that my rear dial gets knocked very easily and I frequently end up taking pictures with unwanted exposure compensation
    As a result I have ordered an EM10 Mk2 to see if the dials are better (slightly stiffer to move and less prone to accidental knocking due to their positioning perhaps)
    I got the EM10 ii at a great price new so the change won't cost much it it works out. If no better I can return it
    The Mk1 EM10 was previously my favourite M43 camera especially with the ECG1 attached so I have also ordered an ECG3 for the Mk2 EM10
    I do prefer the ability to remove the ECG1 and 3 grips very quickly ( in seconds) from the EM10s as the ECG2 on the EM5 ii is attached by screws with a hole in the base for access to the battery bay. The EM10 is therefor much easier to change from bare body (with pancake for pocket ability for example) to gripped for larger lenses
    Even though I have big hands I still preferred the EM10 size wise
    The Mk2 EM10 has focus bracketing due to be added to EM5 ii and EM1 in firmware later this month
    The EM10 Mk2 alone has the focus track pad feature - enabling you to look through the viewfinder whilst manipulating the focus target area by finger touch on the LCD - a feature I loved on the Panasonic cameras since the G5
    The viewfinder is apparently OLED on the EM10 ii which according to some reports is less accurate with regard to colours compared to the EM5 ii and has slightly less magnification
    I will try to update to let you know how I get on
    Hope this helps a little
    Regards
    Rob

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  12. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    Got the EM10 Mk2 today
    The EVF is indeed slightly smaller in terms of magnification
    Not much in it but the EVF in the EM5 ii is bigger
    The 10 ii EVF appears very different - being OLED it is much more contrasts and vibrant in much the same was as the EVF in the LX100
    I prefer the more natural looking 5 ii EVF - more muted and realistic and lifelike
    Also the EVF on the 10 ii has different architecture and requires you to put your eye very slightly closer (eye point) in order to see right up to the corners.
    Looking around the view in the EVF you can see the circular edges of the viewfinder eyepiece assembly at the left and right edges of the view which are slightly illuminated by the display which I find a little distracting
    I would say that apart from the higher contrast issues the colours themselves are quite good in the 10 ii VF - both cameras show reds as slightly orange - an example used for testing being the red banners on the BBC TV News feed
    All in all the 5 ii EVF is more relaxing to use and more accurate in terms of reflecting the scene accurately ( please note testing was done only indoors due to heavy rain outside). I sometimes found the jpeg results from the LX100 a little disappointing compared to the high contrast appearance in the LX100 VF and would expect the same of the 10 ii
    In terms of build and handling. I tried the 10 ii with the ECG3 grip
    It does not have quite the same heavy duty feeling I get from the 5 ii - the 5 ii feels better made and the ECG2 is very sturdy feeling
    One big advantage of the vari angle screen on the 5 ii is that when the screen is turned in on itself you can use the auto EVF switch effectively
    On the 10 ii and the original EM5 I couldn't use the auto switch due to the LCD lighting up until you look through the VF. I always reluctantly used my 5 mk1 and 10 mk1 with the auto switch off and the EVF permanently selected as the LCD being lit was annoying and used up battery power more quickly
    I much prefer the 5 ii set up so I can again use the auto switch like I always have with Panasonic bodies
    This is perhaps a big plus point for the vari angle screen design which many might be overlooking ?
    The focus target pad feature on the 10 ii is very useful but sometimes slow to initially react (please note I still had the factory screen protector foil fitted due to testing before making my mind up so direct contact without this fitted might render better results)
    On the Olympus the individual target points are selected and moved when the smaller focus points are in use so the focus points jump from one to the other as they would by using the 4 way controller. When in the larger focus point mode the focus point moves around steplessly
    One advantage of the Olympus system is that when you go 'off the edge' of the available focus points using the touch pad - the focus system reverts to Multi point (ALL Focus points showing on the screen thereby replicating the manual 4 way button operation)
    While using the touch target pad you can still press Info and use the 4 way pad as usual to change from small to large and multiple modes
    I think the rear dial on the 10 ii would be less prone to accidentally being moved on the 10 ii as it s slightly more below the level of the thumb grip and perhaps more protected from being nudged
    The customisable buttons on the 10 ii are very good and well placed and better than the Mk1 but again not quite as good (overall) as the 5 ii
    At the moment I am erring towards keeping the 5 ii due to weather sealing, better auto EVF operation, better build, slightly better controls and more natural less distracting EVF display.
    I also prefer the Mode dial positioned on the left of the 5 ii compared to next to control dials on the 10 ii although the mode dial position of the 10 ii does enable the additional very well positioned and very useable custom button Fn3 next to the on off switch which is a real bonus
    I do like the 10 ii a lot and the above are mostly minor issues - but perhaps they highlight what is for me slightly better on the 5 ii which is easier to discern and appreciate by direct (personal) comparison
    Hope this helps
    Regards
    Rob

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    The EM10 Mk 2 has now been returned - I'm staying with the EM5 Mk2 for the time being - will just have to be careful with the rear dial

14. Nawty

Nawty Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Thanks for the write-up, I am currently trying to decide between the two to replace a smashed EM10 and I think you have swayed me towards the 5ii, I am especially interested in the EVF functionality of folding the screen in.