1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM5 II using a flash shoe mont microphone?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Halaking, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Just got the EM5 II, trying to get a flash mount shotgun microphone for it, but the new EM5 II has very little space around flash shoe, the hump actually block the front of the flash shoe, has anyone try to using a screw on flash mount microphone?

Thanks
    Morris

2. vegasvegas

vegasvegas New to Mu-43

Jul 25, 2015
    All you need is to pick up a flash bracket, below you can see it with my normal flash bracket (CB MINI RC). Although you can also pick up one of those cheapo aluminum $5 chinese straight brackets, and then get a 1/4"20 female stud and a umbrella bracket.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    B&H has this one on special today. Don't know it it would fit or not but the price is right.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I think that's a great idea, although a little bigger package when using.

THanks
    Morris

5. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Very good reviews on this one, but it use 3 pin connector, EM5 II use 3.5" mini jack.

6. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Hey there. I just bought a used shure vp83f lenshopper shotgun mic. It is the version with the built in digital recorder. That model is handy if there is no mic in jack on your camera. There is also a headphone monitor port on that mic as well as line out. Right now I'm playing around with it on my lx100. Due to the rangefinder design I can just get my right eye to the viewfinder.

I just got a e-m5 II that I should have in about a week so I will try it on there and upload some photos.

7. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    My knowledge of microphone is limited, but base on reviews/price, shure has great features.
    Thanks for sharing.

Morris

8. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I'm only just learning too, but I'd be doing a disservice if I didn't add a few more things. The most important thing about audio is getting a microphone close. Mounting a shotgun mic (or any type of mic) on the camera might not really improve your audio as shown by this video:

Remember, if you are using dual-system sound (an external recording device), you are going to have to syncronize the audio in post editing, which is another step. Most pro video editing software like Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere should have this feature. That is why many people like having a mic in jack on camera, then you can avoid sync. The thing to remember is to adjust the right mic levels into the camera (camera preamp as low as possible, with the mic input high) as the camera preamps are generally quite noisy. The cool thing about the shure solution is that you can input to camera, and also have the recorder making a "backup" copy.

I'm looking into something like this mic to clip onto my kids when they are running around and I want better sound :)
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/instamic-the-smart-small-gopro-of-microphones#/story

Another good recorder for getting ambient sound, or field recording is the Zoom H1. It is cheap and has good mics, sometimes a little too sensitive in my opinion. You have to be careful of handling noise when gripping the plastic body. Also mounting it to a camera, etc. is difficult as it picks up vibration sounds via its body too.

Finally, this video shows how important getting the mic close, as well as providing wind protection is to getting good audio. Here is a video from readhead windscreens on a very windy day. If you are impatient jump to 2 minutes.

I dug this information about mic selection from Shure. I would also recommend checking out Rode Mics site as they also have a lot of good quality/price audio for video equipment.
    http://blog.shure.com/how-to-mic-a-dslr-video/

There are tonnes of videos on youtube comparing these different mics and show how to use them. Good luck!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    This series (three parts) is also quite informative (especially 1 and 3):

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Have you looked at Rode mics? Here is mine mounted on an E-M5 II. I don't find the hump to be a problem at all, in fact, it fits perfectly when pushed in and tightened down (not in this picture, I just loosely attached the mic).

20016105112_bed40b8940_h. IMG_0330 by David Dornblaser, on Flickr

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  11. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I did. I was looking for Rode pro as the one on your EM5II, I thought the tighten knob is too big, and going scratch the body/hump, thank you for provide this information with picture!!

Morris

12. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris

Just finished all the video, I'm getting some nice concept, thanks for sharing and the useful tips.

13. vegasvegas

vegasvegas New to Mu-43

Jul 25, 2015
  14. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Yeah, camera audio is something like an afterthought which is why I went with the shure lenshopper with digital recorder. Pity that Rode didn't ever release their video mic with built-in recorder...

I will test mine with the em-5 II when I get it...

Didn't the gh4 have hissy sound before they released a firmware update?

I hope Olympus keeps improving the em5 II video and audio quality with firmware.