EM5 II Unresponsive/Locked Up

Real Name
Andrew L
I switched on the EM5 II this morning, but it didn't turn on. Switched it a few more times, it got as far as the LCD and EVF lighting up, but blank. The lens didn't extend. I removed the battery a couple times, not much change. Then removed the memory card, and it began working normally. It's a quite new memory card. Anyone had similar behavior with this camera? Wondering if it's just a fault with the card, or something else is going on.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Do you have a second card to check? I haven't had such an issue with any of my Olympus cameras, however I remember back in the day when my Compact Flash Microdrive started to fail, my Nikon D300 also started acting up, being unresponsive, slow read and write times and so on.

Sometimes also new memory cards can be faulty, depending on where you bought it, there might also be a chance you got a counterfeit product, which is not that uncommon with some ebay and Amazon Marketplace sellers, especially from known brands like Lexar.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I switched on the EM5 II this morning, but it didn't turn on. Switched it a few more times, it got as far as the LCD and EVF lighting up, but blank. The lens didn't extend. I removed the battery a couple times, not much change. Then removed the memory card, and it began working normally. It's a quite new memory card. Anyone had similar behavior with this camera? Wondering if it's just a fault with the card, or something else is going on.
Huh, that's strange. Since removing the card is what resolved the issue, I think the new card would be the primary suspect. Have you tried re-inserting the card since this happened? If not, I might give it one more shot and format the card in the camera. If the issue recurs, I'd bin the card (or return it, if possible).

- K

Real Name
Andrew L
Do you have a second card to check? I haven't had such an issue with any of my Olympus cameras, however I remember back in the day when my Compact Flash Microdrive started to fail, my Nikon D300 also started acting up, being unresponsive, slow read and write times and so on.

Sometimes also new memory cards can be faulty, depending on where you bought it, there might also be a chance you got a counterfeit product, which is not that uncommon with some ebay and Amazon Marketplace sellers, especially from known brands like Lexar.
It's a Lexar, but from Amazon proper. The Pro 32GB cards used to be black and gold, now they're black and blue, but I've always had good luck with those cards in the past.

Huh, that's strange. Since removing the card is what resolved the issue, I think the new card would be the primary suspect. Have you tried re-inserting the card since this happened? If not, I might give it one more shot and format the card in the camera. If the issue recurs, I'd bin the card (or return it, if possible).

- K
I did reinsert the card and the camera worked fine and took photos. It did seem weird to me that initially there wasn't even any response from the camera, I would think the lens would at least extend, but the fact that that didn't happen till the problem was cleared up has me stumped. I'll just watch the behavior of the card and camera.

Real Name
Chris
"It's a Lexar, but from Amazon proper"

Amazon has been know to sell fake SD cards. Fake in that they are Chinese knockoffs with a fake label.

Glad yours is working now.

Real Name
Andrew L
"It's a Lexar, but from Amazon proper"

Amazon has been know to sell fake SD cards. Fake in that they are Chinese knockoffs with a fake label.

Glad yours is working now.
I'm not going to waste sleep over the concept of a "fake memory card." I think those happen far less frequently than what is reported on boards like this one. A sub-$10 card wouldn't provide much profit to fake, complete with packaging, all of which looks completely genuine. It didn't "feel" like a memory card problem at all, but I will definitely play with it some with no card to see if I can reproduce the issue, then move on to other memory cards and do the same thing.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Anyone had similar behavior with this camera?
Yes I had this exact issue a couple years back and mentioned it here...
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/broken-e-m10-ii-dilemma-looking-for-advice.111788/#post-1488225

While I don't have that card in my E-M1 anymore I still use it regularly in other cameras with no issues. I chalk it up to a temporary corruption of the communication between card and camera and once the SD card was removed to break the stare-down between them it has never reoccurred.

Real Name
Andrew L
Yes I had this exact issue a couple years back and mentioned it here...
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/broken-e-m10-ii-dilemma-looking-for-advice.111788/#post-1488225

While I don't have that card in my E-M1 anymore I still use it regularly in other cameras with no issues. I chalk it up to a temporary corruption of the communication between card and camera and once the SD card was removed to break the stare-down between them it has never reoccurred.
Good to know there has been a similar issue with similar behavior when you did the same thing I did. I'm more comfortable with there being more than one instance of the card totally locking up the camera on startup, because it really didn't "feel" like a card issue but maybe that's just how the OMDs are programmed. Did the OP of the linked thread ever follow up to say whether his cleared up?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Did the OP of the linked thread ever follow up to say whether his cleared up?
My comment was never acknowledged, so beats me if they pulled the SD card or not.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom