EM5 II sensor issue - what is this? Mold/fungus?

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
A few weeks ago I noticed some regular splotches in photos taken with my OMD EM5 II (nearly 6 years old now), especially visible at small apertures. After some investigation it seems like this began sometime in mid-2020 (what a year). Looking at the sensor it appeared to have what I assumed was just a smudge of some sort, so I bought a sensor scope/loupe and some good cleaning kit. Unfortunately cleaning attempts made no difference - it was as if the "smudge" was under the surface. This really surprised me because I take extremely good care of my cameras, rarely even change lenses outside, and when I do I try to observe good technique i.e. sensor aimed down etc. Hmm...

So, my guess is that somehow I have mold/fungus in my sensor?! Please take a look and see what you think. Have you seen this before? Is it salvageable? I dare not use this camera with my lenses anymore (they do all appear to be clean). I've also purchased an environmentally controlled storage cabinet to store my photo gear in from now on.

Here is a photo of the "smudge" - it's not great but you can get the idea:

OMD EM5 II sensor issue DSC08999.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Could be fungus. Stuff I've seen looks more like spider webs and cracks.

Look at this video and 51 seconds in that shows the cover glass.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I suspect delamination. Not curable.
(I had this on the rear view mirror of an Audi.)

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Sigh... well, I guess this poor camera is done then. A shame, it's perfect otherwise.

I will be ordering an EM1 III (again) later.

Latest threads

Top Bottom