1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Em5 ii ibis with MF lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JDK504, Jun 12, 2015.

1. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I did some testing with my em5 ii and noticed the ibis is smoother with naitve lenses vs MF lenses. I tested the panny 25 and Nocticron vs Nokton 25 in video mode. I noticed using both AF lenses with contacts is significantly smoother vs the 25 Nokton during recording in video mode. No testing for pix.

Is that normal for MF lenses? I was hoping/'thinking they would all be the same. And yes I did adjust the fl. Am I missing something or is this to be expected?

2. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Nobody shoots video with vintage/MF lenses here? Or compared the IBIS to their other AF lenses?

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    That is very interesting.
    I'm sure you entered the correct focal length for the camera's IBIS setting, right?

4. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I have a question about this. Say i have my 50mm nikkor, do i input 50 for the focal length, or 100?

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It's a 50mm lens. Put in 50mm.
    Fred

6. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    regardless of the crop factor?

7. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Yes, the camera knows it has a 2x crop factor

8. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    ok, thank you

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Whoa, wait, these cameras have become self-aware?!? I guess the robot apocalypse has begun. :p

10. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Good one!

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    There is no crop factor.
    Repeat after me : a 50mm lens is a 50mm lens.
    Your camera does not know your lens was once mounted on a sensor four times the size : there is no crop factor.

• Like Like x 1
  12. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Something I've wondered myself, whether the olympus/m43 native lenses have some kind of compensation factor in them sent to the camera to adjust for focus breathing, which an MF lens at a fixed IBIS length setting couldn't.

13. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I used the Nokton 25mm, there is no 25 on there so I put in the 50. I noticed the IBIS was left effective with the Nokton vs the Panny 25. More jittery and more shake.
    All handheld and no tripod. I just want to see if others were experiencing the same thing or maybe its the lens or ? IBIS with my Panny 25 and Nocticron are superb.

14. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    There's your issue. Choose 24mm (some have suggested it's best to round DOWN if the lens focal length falls between two menu options) and try again.

15. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Too late returned it today. Anyone else that has this issue chime in if putting your fl at 24mm made the ibis better/worse/same?

16. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Always put the actual focal length of the lens in mm, or closest to it. Don't try and factor in crop or anything. For the 7.5 FE I have to put in 8mm but it's close enough.

17. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Anyone with mf and native af lens test to see if you get the same result in ibis with either type of lens?

18. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I often shoot video on my EM5 with FD50mm, Rokinon 85mm. and FD85mm, plus the kit 40-150 zoom. I don't notice any different results with the old lenses. There was a time, before the 1st or 2nd firmware update, when the EM5 5-way IBIS could not be activated during video.

19. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I too haven't noticed drastic differences between the effectiveness of IBIS with electronic versus non-electronic lenses (provided the focal length is set correctly). That said, I haven't ever done any close analysis/testing of the subject, nor am I inclined to do so unless/until I a difference became apparent to me.

20. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

My main curiousity over it is that I've been using the 135mm 2.8 Close Focusing with a 2x teleconverter on it. There's nothing near 270mm as a manual IBIS setting, and 300 or 250 as the manual setting seem to do better or worse depending on how close you're focusing it, which I've not especially noticed with any of the native m43 lenses. So I wonder if there's a curve provided on the lens/associated with certain lenses in the body to do with that.