1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM5 II grips - what's the logic?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by letsgofishing, Feb 7, 2015.

1. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Moulding stuff out of plastic vs machining things out of alloy does introduce price differences.

3. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Obviously you don't use an L-plate and have no need for one. That being the case, go with the regular horizontal grip. The RRS L-plate w/o a grip for the E-M1 cost $125 … so a gripped L-plate for $150 is a good deal IMO - and a very thoughtful addition by Olympus if I may say so. I pre-ordered the E-M5 II with the gripped L-plate.

4. letsgofishing

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Ermm... what's your reply got to do with my original post?
    I actually DO have an arca swiss grip and L plate for my EM5 which I got for on E Bay for $69....

5. BobbyTan

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    I am trying to explain why the metal external grip is more expensive. If I get the less expensive external horizontal grip (which cannot be used with a tripod head with a QR clamp) I will still need a basic camera plate or an L-plate, as otherwise I can't mount the camera to my tripod.

6. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
    ^ Probably this

7. BobbyTan

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Yup … CNC-machined aluminum anodized L-plate/bracket + grip vs grip + shutter button made out of plastic. And it looks like the vertical piece of the L-plate can be removed if you do not shoot verticals. I am sure the quality is as good as any RRS L-plate.

Attached Files:

8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks for this thread, I forgot to order a grip.

9. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I like the grip on the EM5 unlike the EM1. Why add more weight and bulk? I'll put the $¢£ toward weight and bulk in the form of glass :smile:
    Whatever floats your boat...

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
  12. letsgofishing

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
  13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Unfortunately, wrong deduction. Yes, you can get cheaper products from China and often they can be very good; but like with RRS products, there are many factors that affect the end price. It's not just the logistics of producing these, it's the stock holdings, distribution, warranty, advertising, packaging etc. The Chinese products are all made in one factory (ostensibly) and then sold from people's homes and can take a month of Sundays to get to you. Comparing the two options, there may also be significant design differences and tolerances etc.