1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM5 II Flash

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JDK504, Mar 3, 2016.

1. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I have been using my EM5 II flash and I feel in certain situations I could use some more power.

Has anyone used their flash from the EM5 II and felt this way and upgraded? If, so what to?

I'm open to any suggestions.

Much Obliged,

Ken

2. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    The Nissin i40. Search on here as it's been discussed a lot. Powerful yet smaller than most others. I use it off camera with the Oly mini flash as trigger/master.

3. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Ok great. Is there a diffuser accessory to put on the standard EM5 II flash?

I see the i60a was just announced should I wait for that?

My shots are just basically indoor events of bdays or family get togethers.

Nothing professional. I just need some more light so I can stop down and get a good amount of people in focus. Bouncing light in a large room with a small flash is hard to do that.

4. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I've not seen a diffuser. It's not really powerful enough to spread around that much.

The i60 is more powerful than the i40. But you'll have to work out if you need that. Generally the i40 power will easily be enough for most things indoors.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I find the included flash fine for just a little fill, but otherwise I picked up a MeiKe MK320 thatseems to work reasonably well.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I suggest bouncing light and never use direct flash for fill. Using an index card to throw a catchlight is fine but otherwise bounce. Never use stofen products or gary fong lightspheres as they simply kill at least 1/3 stop of light.

• Useful Useful x 1