1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM5 II card slot

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jcm5, Aug 8, 2015.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Just a question, is it normal to feel a little bit of resistance when putting the card into the slot? It feels stuck for a second and then the card goes through after some push, though it almost feels like its rubbing against something. Anyone else want to speak about their experience with the EM5 II slot?

2. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    I've noticed this too on the E-M5ii (never had any issues with the E-M1 or E-M5 before it). Actually, one of the plastic tabs that separates the metal connector pins on a Lexar SD card broke off b/c of this. Not sure how it happened, but when I removed the card and tried to put another in it did not click into place. I looked inside the card slot and noticed a small plastic piece. Got it out with a paperclip, and the card slot worked perfectly again. Fortunately my Lexar card still works fine, but it's a little concerning that I had this issue with the E-M5ii.

3. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Oh wow a piece broke off!? I wonder if warranty will cover it?

4. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    For the memory card? I doubt it. I've had it for about 3 years now. Still works perfectly fine so I'm not too concerned about it.

5. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Oh sorry nevermind, I misread your post. I thought you said something in the EM5 ii itself broke off.

6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    When my E-M5 Mk.II was new, the memory card slot was stiffer than any other camera I've owned. After a month or so, it's now much easier to get the card in.

7. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Noticed the same thing,but now I am used to it. The little plastic tabs between the connector electrodes do get bent but the card still works if you clip it off.

8. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I've noticed this too on my camera.
    Now looks like it's getting a bit easy to put the card into the slot, but not so smooth as with my Panasonics.

9. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Hm I see. Okay, well I'm glad on the one hand to hear that it's not just my problem, though on the other not so glad that this is an issue in the Mark IIs in general. Thanks for the input so far!