1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM5 + HLD6 for EP5 + VF4 trade worth it?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oly18, Dec 5, 2013.

1. oly18

oly18 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    Is this trade worth it in your opinion?

The EM5 and HLD6 are like new in original boxes, while the EP5 has some minor marks and the VF4 has some light scuffs and no boxes. Both work fine though.

Weatherproofing is not that big an issue for me since most of my lenses are not weatherproofed anyways...

Developed a severe case of g.a.s. (gear acquisition syndrome) and want to try something new...

2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    The EP-5 plus VF-4 is worth more currently, but the difference in condition could even it out.
    Rudy

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Why? Seems to me that the E-P5 will not give you any better photos and personally I find the integrated EVF of the E-M5 a much better option ergonomically than separate finders like the VF-4.

4. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I was assuming the OP meant "worth it" money-wise.
    Judging which type of camera you prefer is a different issue.
    For long lenses and portrait shooting the EM-5 plus grip will be better.
    The EP-5 offers 1/8000, the VF-4 is nicer than the EVF of the EM5 and can flip up which is nice for low shots or macro.
    The look and handling is also quite different.
    Money-wise the two would be quite comparable, but the EP5 / VF4 would likely be a bit higher, IMHO.
    Rudy

5. oly18

oly18 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes, I meant money wise. I ended up doing the trade... really wanted to try some of the new improvements without investing any more $$$.

So far I really like the focus peaking, built-in flash that can control my other flashes, better lcd, wifi ability, 1/8000 and smaller focus points... and I gotta say the VF4 is really really nice. Noticeably better than EM5. :) I also like the 2x2 control for the dials... and also think it focuses my four thirds lenses a bit better than the EM5 did... I also have a EPL5 and can share the VF4 with that. Though I really wish the batteries were the same though.

Anyways, thanks for the comments. I don't think I will regret the trade, though I already miss the bigger grip on the EM5/HLD6.

Debating now whether to sell my EPL5 and start saving for the the EM1 when it drops a bit...