EM5 grip

abat

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Andrew
I like the RRS grip. Easier to access top buttons and dials than with hld6.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Mu-43 mobile app

stenlius

Mu-43 Regular
Does the JB grip sell outside the US? I really like it, but Amazon doesn't ship to Europe.

CPWarner

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Cliff
It depends a lot on usage. I don't change batteries while shooting that often, even when just using the first part. However, when I do, it literally takes less than 10 seconds to change the battery. The grip screws out and back in very easily. Obviously, I would have rather had them put a cutout in there, but I feel that the location of the grip's shutter release and front control wheel (which no other grip has) and the ability to add the third part for better control in portrait orientation far out way that minor inconvenience.

For a very long time, I just used the first piece, but I have recently gone to using both most of the time. With the 75/1.8, it makes an amazing combination. It actually solves the battery change issue, too, since I can just change out the grip battery, leaving the in-camera one as an emergency backup.
Well, I had the HLD-6 grip and this gets to a personal thing. I thought it was annoying to use for the couple months I had it. I am MUCH happier with my RRS grip and do not miss the extra shutter button at all. With the RRS grip my index finger lines up with the camera's shutter button perfectly. I agree that will big lenses, for example the Panasonic 100-300, the vertical grip was nice. However, that made everything more bulky. On top of that, there were no good options for L-brackets to go onto the HLD-6, and to me that was such a limitation for landscape work that the HLD-6 was sold. I think it depends a lot on how one uses the camera, and what for. At least there are several options so everyone can figure out what works for them.

Haans

Mu-43 Regular
I don't believe in the devil's advocate.
I use both parts of the HLD-6 grip and have not taken them off except once in a while to cycle the camera batt. Usually just replace the grip batt. Couldn't stand the OMD-5 until I bought the grip.

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well, I had the HLD-6 grip and this gets to a personal thing ... At least there are several options so everyone can figure out what works for them.
Absolutely!

I don't believe in the devil's advocate.
I use both parts of the HLD-6 grip and have not taken them off except once in a while to cycle the camera batt. Usually just replace the grip batt. Couldn't stand the OMD-5 until I bought the grip.
It really isn't that big ...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

:wink:

brettmaxwell

Mu-43 Veteran
Love my JLM grip. I wanted just a few things: arca tripod mounting, easy battery access, a bit more grip up front, and minimal size and weight to accomplish those other goals.

Real Name
Adam
I used my E-M5 almost exclusively with at least the HLD-6G attached. The extra height improved the grip, and the forward position of the shutter button (& wheel) was way better than the standard position. I wouldn't consider any grip that didn't provide the forward shutter button, but YMMV if you don't use the VF.

The minor delay in changing batteries was just that - minor. I don't recall ever missing a shot as a result. Of course if you can add the HLD-6P too and have the benefit of a 2nd battery.

Mine is not for sale yet, but will be soon when I flog my E-M5.

JoJo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Well guys, it seems there are only a few choices. RRS is the ONLY grip that covers all the bases so that is where I am going. If anyone has seen a RRS clone I would like to look at it. RRS has great quality but GAWWWD they are expensive.

Old Fart

CPWarner

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Cliff
Well guys, it seems there are only a few choices. RRS is the ONLY grip that covers all the bases so that is where I am going. If anyone has seen a RRS clone I would like to look at it. RRS has great quality but GAWWWD they are expensive.

Old Fart
Check the buy and sell here and over at Fred Miranda. There have been some for sale as people are selling their EM5's to buy EM1's.

JoJo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Thanks for the advice. I found two and bought them......one more to go.

Old Fart

Setb

Mu-43 Rookie
I like the HDL-6 use only the grip and the extra battery pack is in my back

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom