1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM5 grip

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JoJo, Jan 5, 2014.

1. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I bought a "L" grip and really like it but it has one big drawback so I am researching grips again. I would like to compile a list of grips that members have used, seen or heard about.

Would anyone like to start?

2. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    HLD-6. Leave both parts on most of the time. Gives you great portrait and landscape grips in a package the height of an enthusiast-level DSLR. Plus, when needed, one or both parts can be taken off to reduce size (though, I rarely take both off.)

3. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    The Devil's Avocate says it adds too much bulk and rewires an additional device to QUICKLY attach to a tripod.

Who is next?

4. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I have the JB grip. It feels very natural, so much so that I don't usually use the wrist strap. Battery door still free, and tripod mount centred. IIRC, very reasonable price.

5. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I have used both the JLM and RRS grips. Given that I now have an EM-1, both are for sale, if you go that way.

6. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I use the RRS l-plate and grip. Works great by my book and I have used it for around 18 months. No issues that I can complain about. It extends the grip just enough that my pinky finger is now not the grip instead of under the camera. I have used L-brackets over the years, and this gets a lot of use. Here it is with my 12mm on the E-M5:

photo8.JPG

7. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I have the J&B grip and while it makes a small improvement over no grip, I don't really like it. Out of the box it has lots of sharp, uncomfortable corners that I had to sand down. In use, with the grip, the shutter being on top and not out in front makes it not very comfortable for extended shooting. If I had to do it again I wouldn't buy the J&B grip.

I've gotten the HLD6 recently since prices have dropped(I got one on eBay used for $150), and the smaller section is a lot more comfortable than the J&B grip, the shutter/front dial being in the correct place makes a big difference and the grip size and shape is a lot more comfortable as well. With the 1st section of the grip, the handling is similar to my EM1, though the EM1 is still better. Needing to take the grip off to swap batteries is of course annoying.

I don't use 2nd part of the HLD6 much as it makes the camera too big for my liking.

Here are some more that I've seen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shippi..._Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item3f2d6591fd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UN-Hand...ens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item338930aab1

I've also seen an RRS knock off (without the machine-cutout to access the memory card) but can't find a link for it now.

Again I wouldn't really recommend any of these, I would suggest anyone in the market to find a used HLD6 for around $150 if you can.

On a related note I got the RSS BOEM1 B for my EM1 as a grip extension and I really like it, keeps my pinky from falling off the grip and barely adds any extra weight.

8. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    For those with the RRS grip, do you have a picture of it on your EM-5 WITHOUT the grip section and just the RRS plate and L-plate?

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm with BigTam on this. I have not used any other grip to compare it to, but I am very happy with the JB Designs grip. I've had two of them, and zero issues with sharp edges.

10. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
  11. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Full RRS grip-plate. I do a lot of tripod work and find the L-plate invaluable. Grip is good, although having the more forward shutter, dial and buttons would be better.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    I agree with EarthQuake, i search for a used HLD-6..

13. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    I have one for sale!

14. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I had the Olympus HLD-6 grip and promptly sold it. It was a pain in the neck to have to remove it every time you have to change a battery. I have not removed the RRS grip/L-bracket since I put it on. It has convenient access to the battery and memory cards. I also find that with the way the grip is formed, my index finger is placed comfortably on the shutter. So no need for an extra shutter button or control dial.

15. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    I send you a PM. Could tou tell us the reason you sell it ;

16. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Devil's Advocate says: I looked at the eBay grips and the J&B grip......not designed to be easily attached to a QR shoe or easily used in a vertical orientation......very short sighted.

17. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013

18. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    It depends a lot on usage. I don't change batteries while shooting that often, even when just using the first part. However, when I do, it literally takes less than 10 seconds to change the battery. The grip screws out and back in very easily. Obviously, I would have rather had them put a cutout in there, but I feel that the location of the grip's shutter release and front control wheel (which no other grip has) and the ability to add the third part for better control in portrait orientation far out way that minor inconvenience.

For a very long time, I just used the first piece, but I have recently gone to using both most of the time. With the 75/1.8, it makes an amazing combination. It actually solves the battery change issue, too, since I can just change out the grip battery, leaving the in-camera one as an emergency backup.

19. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    me too!

20. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    I like the grip, makes the camera easier to hold, but I'mselling the camera and grip s result of a GAS attack!