EM5 for EM10 and some thoughts.

Hingo

Mu-43 Regular
hello mu43 users

Straight to the subject, I have the EM5 but I'm thinking of switch it to the EM10, but I've read that the EM10 has no dust sealing compared to the EM5. So I'm thinking if EM10 users has noticed any dust spots in their images? Does the EM10 have any kind of minimum sealing for dust or is it totally open for this unwanted thing, DUST?

Hoping to hear from you people, thanks.

pictor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
AFAIK, the E-M10 is not weather sealed like the E-M5.

All µ4/3 cameras of Olympus and Panasonic have efficient dust reduction systems.

wanderenvy

Mu-43 Regular
What kind of dust level are you thinking about? It's not like the camera has open holes or cracks to let in the breeze and dust during common use. The main way to get in dust would be while changing lenses.

On the other hand if you regularly travel in extreme dusty, wet, salty, humid, cold areas, the e-m5 has an edge up.

Medley

Mu-43 Regular
The weather sealing on the E-M5 vs none on the E-M10 is a non-issue for me. Until relatively recently very few cameras had said sealing. Back in my film days I took my Pentax MX to sub-saharan Africa for 3 years (there's dust there). It worked fine. I never have and probably never will shoot in downpours. When it's misty or sprinkling, I never give cameras' absence of sealing a second's thought. I feel that this has become something that has taken on a life of its own due to marketing by manufacturers who try to differentiate themselves. After one has been successful the rest really have no choice but to follow.

When I bought my E-M10, I looked closely at the E-M5 because the price was starting to come down with the introduction of the newer model. In the end I bought the E-M10 because of its more advanced features borrowed from the E-M1, like wireless, a better LCD, a faster EVF. Neither the lack of sealing nor the 3 vs 5 axis stabilization gave me a second's pause. I haven't once regretted my decision.

randyspan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Randy Spann
The M5 and M10 are so close in performance, it's hard to tell which is which! But I demo'ed the M5 and just couldn't seem to "bond" with it, so I got the M10. Loving it. Dust should not be a factor IMHO.

Swandy

Mu-43 Veteran
I had the EM5 (then went to the EP5) and now the EM10 and don't regret it at all. As others have said, for most people the main source of dust is when you change lenses (so just don't do it on a beach in the wind) and for years the Olympus dust removal system has been considered one of the (if not the) best in the industry. So if dust is your major concern of the EM5 over the EM10 - forget about it. If you have questions about the other differences - then ask away. For me the improvement in the EVF, the improved processor (and what it allows) and for me the improved buttons/controls - the buttons on the EM5 always felt very mushy - was worth the "loss" of the weather sealing. (Anyway, none of my current lenses are weather sealed anyway.)

DennisC

Mu-43 Regular
When I first got the EM10 I couldn't believe how soft the images were from the EZ kit lens and from my Lumix primes.
I didn't see shutter shake as an issue but I returned the first camera just in case it was defective.
While testing the second copy I found that to be soft too and then came the firmware fix and after setting shutter lag short and using the electronic shutter things became better.

No dust issues for me but I'm not really bonding with this tiny body and its myriad of options.
I want to like it but Olympus Menu complexity is getting me down.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
It was always more about rain than dust for me. I wouldn't worry about dust.

Agreed. Dust is usually a lens changing issue and in most cases the dust control systems work extremely well as far as the sensor goes. I wouldn't touch an E-M10 because of the lack of waterproofing, however. I have spent hours in heavy rain with my E-M5 and E-M1 with no issues at all. The E-M10 would have been a paperweight.

D

Deleted member 20897

Dust on the sensor is going to be an issue with any ILC system. All the EM5 weather sealing buys you really is being able to shoot in the rain (with a weather sealed lens) and not destroying the camera.

If you keep to good lens changing procedures, or never change the lens on the EM10, you will have no more issue than normal.

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just got back from west Texas, and Oklahoma with my E-M10. I had no dust problems. You DO realize, don't you, that weather resistance is a relatively new thing in consumer grade equipment and I do know that few cameras (if any) from the VietNam war era had weather sealing and earlier (Capra never had any sort of weather sealing either). This has never been a significant problem except in the most extreme circumstances and that's what plastic bags are good for!

Hingo

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for your respond everybody, it seems that the EM10 is the right choose.

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
For those who switched from EM5 to EM0, just curious why you made the switch and what specific reasons you enjoy the EM10 more.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just got back from west Texas, and Oklahoma with my E-M10. I had no dust problems. You DO realize, don't you, that weather resistance is a relatively new thing in consumer grade equipment and I do know that few cameras (if any) from the VietNam war era had weather sealing and earlier (Capra never had any sort of weather sealing either). This has never been a significant problem except in the most extreme circumstances and that's what plastic bags are good for!

You DO realize, don't you, that many cameras in the Viet Name war era had little or no electrical components, and those that did had only metering and flash sync circuits that did not affect basic camera function or operation at all if they were damaged or stopped working? We can do many things today that no one would have dreamed about 50 years ago. Taking pictures with extremely sophisticated cameras that are in most cases entirely dependent on electrical circuits in a driving rainstorm is one of those things!

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
You DO realize, don't you, that many cameras in the Viet Name war era had little or no electrical components, and those that did had only metering and flash sync circuits that did not affect basic camera function or operation at all if they were damaged or stopped working? We can do many things today that no one would have dreamed about 50 years ago. Taking pictures with extremely sophisticated cameras that are in most cases entirely dependent on electrical circuits in a driving rainstorm is one of those things!

There were electronics in those Nikons and Beseler Topcon cameras and they didn't fry. I know, I was there. The film stayed dry and was able to wind on the take up spindle. Are you REALLY trying to suggest that modern cameras are LESS well sealed than the cameras of 40 - 50 years ago? That is what the above post is trying to imply. Weather resistance has become a fetish for some. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have, but it simply CAN'T take the place of reasonable care of your equipment.

Latest threads

Top Bottom