Em5 flash problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kakapo, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Kakapo

Kakapo New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2015
    Hi.

I'm having problems with a Yongnuo 560iii. It works fine off camera with the radio triggers I've got but I just can't get it to fire when mounted on the EM5 hot shoe. I believe this is possible, so either mine is defective or (more likely) I haven't set it up right. Can anyone help me with how to get this working?

Thanks.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Press the sync/wireless button (#3) until the M flash icon appears on the top left corner of the screen. The rest are all optical and RF trigger modes.

3. Kakapo

Kakapo New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2015
    Thanks for this. I've done that but it just won't flash when I take a photo. What settings do I need on the EM5 itself? (I have it on manual and have flash on.)

4. wjiang

Shouldn't have to do anything else. My YN560-IIIs will fire no matter what the flash setting is in camera (it will even fire with the flash set to off). Either the flash is broken or maybe the contacts on camera/flash need cleaning/wearing down. When you say it works with triggers are you using the YN560-III as the receiver directly or are you shoe mounting it on another receiver? If the former, can you stack it on the receiver unit hot-shoe and see if it fires from its shoe pin that way?

5. Kakapo

Kakapo New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2015
    I was mounting it on another receiver, which does work. It also works on the receiver mounted on the camera, which is workable I guess for when I don't want it off camera, but does make it more bulky.

I don't know if this is relevant but in the top right corner it has a little icon and 'RX'.

6. wjiang

That icon indicates RF slave receive trigger mode, not what you want. It won't trigger from the shoe pin in any of the slave modes. What you might be finding is that it's actually RF triggering from the transmitter directly while just sitting on your receiver.

If you cycle button 3 manual flash should be just a flash icon with an M on the top left corner only. The only other things it has on the screen in this mode are the power and zoom settings. Only in this mode does direct hot shoe or PC sync port trigger work.

7. Kakapo

Kakapo New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2015
    Ah, I see. I couldn't get the RX to go away for some reason, but the next day when I turned the flash on it had gone off and now works fine. Thanks for your help, wjiang!