EM5 firmware new smaller AF box, explanation please

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rxstuve, Jan 29, 2014.

1. rxstuve

rxstuve Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    I understand that this has been lacking and in the past have had less than desirable results with AF not focusing where I wanted. So this is a very welcome addition. In the past I would touch the back screen to pick a focus point and then turn up the magnification and it would create a smaller focus box, or so I thought. Apparently this must have only been cosmetic to my eye as I don't think I have seen very much improvement in the cameras performance, and perhaps it was just helping me concentrate more on a smaller area

So excitedly I updated the firmware and turned on the small box in the AF [...] Set Home section of the menu.

I expected the focus box visually in the viewfinder or LCD to be smaller but it is not. Is this operating as designed? Its the same size box but just more accurate to the center of the box?

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I believe you have to set it once in the AF Area menu. It's kind of a stupid way to get to but here you go: SCP > AF Area > Info > Up/Down Selector > Select "[*]s"> OK
    • Like Like x 3
  3. euler_spiz

euler_spiz Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Cantabria, Spain
    LP Hoyos
    Once you have the grid with the green boxes. Press info and you'll be able to choose between smaller boxes, group of 3x3 boxes or whole grid.
    And you can choose between the options for face detection too (Were you able to access to this feature from this point before or is it just posible after this update? I don't remember it)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    when selecting the AF point, press *info* to change mode from multi, 9 points, 1 point, and 1 (small).
    • Like Like x 1
  5. rxstuve

rxstuve Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Thank you, did the trick.
  6. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can see this being great for macro photography...
  7. spacecreature

spacecreature Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    Thank you!!! I have been going crazy trying to figure this out lol. Initially I was going to menu-custom menu- AF/MF- Set Home, but whatever I picked there it just wouldn't got into effect for some reason. The SCP route worked out though, finally!