EM5 & Exposure 60+ seconds

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by -Dan-, Jul 31, 2014.

1. -Dan-

-Dan- Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to figure out how to do long exposures with my EM5 around 90-120 seconds. The 'standard settings' go as far as 60 seconds, yet I see examples of 60+ seconds but can't figure out going through the settings how to accomplish this. I've searched this forum but couldn't find anything (wrong key words?). I'd appreciate any help.

2. carterru

carterru Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2014
    It is something called bulb mode. You press the shutter button to start and press again to stop exposure. Its up to you how long to leave it exposing. Up to 30min I think.
  3. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

• Like Like x 5
  4. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  5. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    Haven't done that long exposure myself but on something similarly long I see hot pixels show up.

Might be good idea (if you're on tripod) to run multiple shorter exposures with pause in between and combine them later. Or take multiple long exposures and average the exposure to wipe away the spurrious pixels
  6. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    I find that my Em5 shows hot pixels at around 80+ seconds.
    its easy enough to get rid of in PP though...

Get yourself a remote shutter so you dont shake up the camera when pushing the release to stop the exposure...

[​IMG]P7143421-Edit by Lowlight88, on Flickr

86 seconds, The live bulb and live time functions are great!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Doesn't automatic dark frame subtraction get rid of hot pixels if you have noise reduction (not the blurring noise filter) set to on/automatic?
  8. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    On jpeg maybe. I shoot raw with nr-off (presumably only affecting jpg-playback) and the camera playback shows hot pixels on even 15 sec exposures shot near consecutively
  9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    It makes no difference if you're saving RAW or JPEG if NR is active (Auto) as it does a dark frame subtraction (for long exposures) that should remove any hot pixels from the saved file.

Don't forget NR (noise reduction) & NF (noise filter) are two different things where NF does only affect JPEGs.
  10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I also shoot raw only... With NR at to auto it will still automatically do DFS for exposures longer than about 4 seconds.