1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM5 / EM5-2 advice

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jello212, Jul 11, 2015.

1. jello212

jello212 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I have a chance to grab an EM5 for $450 or EM5-2 for $900. I really like the mark2, but don't know if I like it twice as much. What say ye?

P.S. I'm still shooting with the original Panny G-1, so ither of the OMD's will be a massive improvement.

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I traded up to the mk II. That
    is just me, though.

Look at the improvements and see if any of them are with the extra $500.

For me, it was. The hi res mode is nice to have as is live composite.

Some people really love the fully articulating screen, others are happy with the time only of the original EM5.

The IBIS is improved, but might not be enough for most people to know the difference.

3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    BOGOFF - meaning buy one, get one for free. Two for the price of one. I know what I would do!

4. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Or pick up a used EM5 for even less...less than $300 I suspect. That makes the spread more than $600. That's what I figured it would cost me net to upgrade after I sold my EM5. Just not seeing the added value for me.

5. jello212

jello212 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I really like the Mk2, but my thoughts are pretty much in line with yours.

6. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry
    If you need the high resolution mode or video then you go with the mark ii. To me if you're contemplating then you'd be fine with the mark i since it means you don't need the mark ii features that much.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What lenses do you have? Would that $500 give you good upgrade(s) there?

Since you are now a Panasonic G shooter, have you seen that new G7? That would be on the top of my list. Only $800 and just launched.

8. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I balanced the trade-offs when the Mk II came out and decided to just keep my EM5. If the image quality had made a significant improvement, I would have jumped but the differences between the EM5 and EM5 mk II just weren't substantial enough to warrant the extra money. I am waiting for the next improvement, perhaps EM1 mk. II, perhaps something else.

9. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    You can always do high resolution images in Photshop. Not as convenient but you can get great results.

That's what I'm telling myself until I can afford an upgrade :rolleyes-38:

10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Pick EM1 for $625

• Like Like x 1
  11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I upgraded to the mk ii as well. The ergonomics, particularly the grip, is much better on the mk ii.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    There are more to the upgrades than the technical insides.

Handling of the cameras was really a big deal for me and the Mk II just feels better in the hand and the control placement/button feel are a big factor.

As with anything, you need to balance need with price. IF price is a big factor, then the Mk I is great camera, and by the time you will want to upgrade from it, there might be a Mk III or the EM1 Mk 2 will be out and you'll be able to get into an EM1 Mk I for cheap!

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The high res mode on the EM5II is the real deal! I've been shooting a bunch of night exposures and the detail is awesome. Takes a couple seconds to process, but it's painless!

14. jello212

jello212 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I currently have the Panny 14-45, 45-200, and the 20 1.7. I'm currently leaning toward the mk1 and adding the Oly 9-18.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Like a lot of people here, I considered upgrading my E-M5 to a Mk II, but decided I'd rather wait and replace it with an E-M1 Mk II. That's not to say I wouldn't think the E-M5 Mk II is worth the price, if I were a new buyer and not in an upgrade situation.

The operative question for you is what do you want it for that your current camera can't do? Then we can determine if the E-M5 can do it $450 better, or the Mk II do it another $450 better still. (Probably not...)

16. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    You would get more wonderful pictures with adding a high speed prime such as the 24mm or 45mm 1.8 rather than upgrading to a fancier body. The M_5 is quite superb despite some folks niggling criticism,such as squishy buttons and what have you.

17. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    One person's niggle is another person's bane of existence.

I do agrees that a quality lens is a good investment in any system, but a lens in and of itself is not going to make more wonderful pictures.

18. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Sure, but I don't want to hear that :wink:
    With PS it takes a while with my slow computer but at least it's possible to get awesome HiRes from the original E-M5 too (or any other camera).

To the OP
    In your situation I would get the original E-M5 + nice lens or two. It is a fantastic camera and the price difference right now is too large imo.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  19. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    I have an E-M5 and am looking at getting a second body and have been debating if I want a MK II or just get another E-M5 and another lens. I seem to change my mind every day. :doh:
    So I feel your pain.

20. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I have not owned an E-M5, but just purchased and E-M5 II to replace my GX7 as my main camera. The overriding reason was the great feel of the E-M5 II, much better EVF, fast focusing, more function buttons, better SCP, both first curtain and full electronic shutter, and......yes, yes I like the Olympus menus much better than the Panasonics. Mine gets here in two days, can't wait.

This decision was made after spending this weekend shooting with my wife and her new E-M5 II and comparing it to the GX7 and my E-M10, which will now be my second body. The E-M10 placed second in the evaluation, tied with my sweet little PL7...........the GX7 was last.

• Agree Agree x 1