1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM5 Card error and sometimes freezing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Mar 6, 2015.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I've asked olympus about this, I frequently used to get card errors with my Kingmax and Sony 16gb cards both were uhs class 10 or class 1 cards which they said was due to the cards. I now use a Sandisk ultra which gets less frequent card errors but they still occur. Usually i get a card error and I just have to remove the card and put it back in, a few times in the past with the sony and kingmax card where I lost my data and it said "no picture" after putting the card back in and attempting to review images.

None of these cards presented any problems in any other device.

I've been to their service centre to have my em5 looked at and had the shutter replaced twice, each time I ask them to check the memory card problem but they say they can't find any issue and say it must be due to the card.

I've also had the camera freeze up when turning it off, where the lcd screen stays on after I switch it off and turning it back on again has no effect, the only thing that works is removing the battery. This happens with my 12-50, 14-140 and 14mm, I don't currently own any other lens so I can't test against others. Oly service also doesn't seem to be able to replicate this and says it's likely to be a card issue.

It's not a big deal for me but it's annoying as hell. I'd like to know from any others with these issues if they were able to find a remedy or if your local olympus service was able to help sort it out.

2. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Do you ever delete files while the card is in a card reader attached to your computer, or have you formatted the card(s) using your computer?

3. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    After I started getting them, I would only transfer directly and then delete everything or format the card using the camera to minimize the errors. It seems weird that it's happening, with three different cards though.

They said something about a virus causing it but I can't remember if they were talking about the cards or the the computer I was using.

I've noticed the freezing up issue a bit more recently and I'm wondering if there's any way to find out if they are somehow related.

EDIT:

I hope they have more specific or precise ways of testing for errors other than inserting and reinserting the card into the camera waiting for error message to appear.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Any virus would be erased by formatting the card in the camera.

You could also try using the SD association's formatting tool; it wouldn't do better than the camera format, but it might expose a problem with the cards:
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

If that doesn't help, then there's probably something wrong with the camera.
    Have you checked to see if the SD contacts are clean?

Barry

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Cards can and do fail and when they start to do that, it's probably best to not use them for photography. That said, since you have a Sandisk card, it came with RescuePro so, firstly, use RescuePro to see if you can recover the photos from your old card. You may be surprised, as even formatting the card won't remove the files. Secondly, once you've done that, use RescuePro to completely wipe the cards and then insert them in the camera and format them. Then try them out and see if you have further problems and from then on, always format the card after your photos have been uploaded to minimise potential conflicts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Unfortunately not. I've recovered photos from cards that have been formatted many times over and these photos come from many different dates.

7. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    @OzRay@OzRay

I agree the virus (or any other files) would be readable with data-recovery software (until they are overwritten by new files/pictures), but formatting the card would leave the virus in a state that it couldn't do anything.

Caveat: if it's an MBR virus (mostly extinct since the 1990's), it could still be on the card. However, it wouldn't affect the camera's ability to use the card.

Barry

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    My understanding of an in-camera format was that it's a low-level format that mainly removes whatever it is that provides the tags (identifying data) to the photos, not the data itself. So if a virus was loaded, as it doesn't have anything to do with the photo recording process, it could still remain untouched after a low-level format. I guess the only way to test this is to load some small program on to a card, format in-camera and then see if it can be fully recovered.

9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    @OzRay@OzRay, What you're describing is a High-Level format; it's been decades since there's been devices (RLL and MFM hard drives) that could be low-level formatted by the user.

Either way, it doesn't matter if the virus could be recovered by recovery software; it's still inactive if you don't run the recovery software.

Also, there's no PC viruses which infect cameras (nor have I heard of any camera-camera viruses).

Barry

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I know just enough about the details to be dangerous. ;)

I also doubt that there's any sort of virus in the card, but it could be corrupted in other ways that causes the issues. But as I've read recently, memory cards do fail and one of the common characteristics is failure to write etc.

The other thing could also be that the card is not genuine, but a copy, which apparently is a very common thing. I recently bought some 32GB, class 10, Samsung cards from eBay and ran both through How2Test to confirm that they were genuine, which they were. BTW, these cards really make a difference in the camera, much faster processing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    I'm sorry but my understanding of this issue does not really go beyond formatting and deleting files. All I know is that I've never had this issue with my other devices or cameras using any of the cards I've used. I have done full and proper formats in the past using my windows 7 format utility but most people have been recommending in camera format so that's what I started doing. I've also used h2test and other programs to verify the speed of the cards and the results I get are all consistent with cards that are genuine and in good working order.

Around the same time i kept getting these errors frequently, which was almost immediately, I did upgrade the firmware and replace the external card reader on my pc at the same time so I'm not sure which of that was more effective at minimizing the occurrences of the "card error" issue. They have seem to have decrease since then but not totally gone away. I guess I could try a fourth card for now to see what happens.

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    It's possible that you have either driver issues with the card reader, or physical (contacts) issues with the reader. Do you have an alternative reader you can try? I have had a couple of readers go flakey over the years - they are not generally high-end, long-life equipment and driver support is sometimes dodgy. (Having said that, I agree that they're not terribly sophisticated equipment, either...)

13. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    I suspected it had something to do with that when I was losing files and such which is why i now mostly use my laptop to transfer files. I haven't lost files in a while but I still get frequent card error messages and freezing up has happened twice this week.

I just transferred files from my gf3 using my old card reader on my pc without issue. I'm wondering if the camera itself may be saving them in a manner that would cause this issue or maybe creates directories or file paths (I don't really know what those are), that cause a conflict?