1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM5 Accessories compatible with EM1 ???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chonbhoy, Dec 31, 2013.

1. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I was wondering what EM5 accessories will be compatible with the EM1?
    Is the eyecup the same fitting?
    Is the cable connection the same for remote cable release dongles?
    That's all i can think of at the moment as I'm hundreds of miles away from them at the moment.:frown:

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not the Eyecup. Only the existing eyecup E-P10 & the E-P11 & now also the standard one for the Stylus 1, E-P14. All other accessories will work, including the VF-4 (with firmware 1.7), but not with the eye sensor operation. The grips are not interchangeable though & will only work with & fit the HLD-6 grip. The GS-5 Grip Strap for OM-D E-M1 would actually work better on the E-M5 than the original one. The E-M5 & E-M1 use the same RM-UC1 Remote Control Cable as most of the DSLR's (E400's, E500's, E600's & E30 etc) did.

BTW, I didn't find the twin arm LED light (MAL-1 Macro Arm Light) powerful enough to be at all useful. I use a flash with diffuser cap instead or even white paper as reflector or diffuser from the click on flash for macro use.

3. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Thanks. That's a shame I have the deeper eyecup which is great apart from it fouls the connection below the hotshoe?!?

I wondered about the macro snake light actually but someone was nice enough to me to buy me a FL600r for my birthday. I do fancy making some kind of diffuser for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ross the fiddler

I use the EP-11 eyecup too & have to bend down the edge a little to get the click on flash (FL-LM2) into its slot, but it does serve its purpose well otherwise. I also have the Stylus 1 with the same EVF that has come with a deeper standard eyecup & they've named that the EP-14. It's good enough to leave on without updating to the EP-11 (which is just as well as I want it to remain as compact as possible).

5. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    That's good news then they are making little changes like that in the right direction. Kudos to Olympus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Sorry - so does the EP14 fit on the EM5 ?

7. Ross the fiddler

Yes, the E-P14 will fit the E-M5 & it looks like it is standard on the E-M10 too. I believe the E-M1 has a similar shape but obviously a different fit though.