EM1X Ranked Quite Highly in BIF Mirrorless Comparison

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Just a little snippet of Info for those into BIF
EM1X did quite well here
Guess it depends upon your perspective. The Sony 6400 is a $900 APSC camera and it is listed above the EM1X. The EM1X just barely beats out the $1,000 EM5 MKIII by 2% points in the perfect focus category. So at $2500 now, down from $3,000, the EM1X is not a bargain from a BIF perspective.

What I still continue to use for BIF and airshows is my D500 and my 15 year old $1,000 300mm f4 Nikon AFS lens, which because the D500 is APSC, is a 450mm eq. lens, 630mm @ f5.6 with the 1.4TC. While not listed in the Mirrorless Camera listings, the authors comments in the top rated A9II overview said the D500 was the previous best score of 85% and 98%. Other than the 2 versions of the Sony A9, the 2 best in this test, the D500 beats ALL the mirrorless offerings listed and the D500 is now only $1,500 new. So you can get a better BIF camera with a "no BS" 200 shot buffer at 10FPS and 300mm f4 for what Olympus wants for its EM1X.

Sad to see that the DFD system from Panasonic is not competitive.
The G9 is a mixed bag when it comes to BIF. With clear blue sky backgrounds it is very good. But once trees or clutter gets in the background, it falters. I found this out 2 years ago in my BIF test written up in the G9 with Birds thread linked here:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/g9-with-birds.96288/post-1113694 .

Last edited:

ibd

Mu-43 Veteran
I guess the E-M1 III would rank exactly the same as the E-M1X? If you go strictly by "article score vs. retail price", it would be a better value proposition in comparison.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
I guess the E-M1 III would rank exactly the same as the E-M1X? If you go strictly by "article score vs. retail price", it would be a better value proposition in comparison.
Or at worst case maybe 1% point below, as the EM5.3 is only 2% points below the EM1X. Just got my EM1.3 last week and I look forward to putting it up to the test against my D500 for BIF.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Guess it depends upon your perspective. The Sony 6400 is a $900 APSC camera and it is listed above the EM1X. The EM1X just barely beats out the $1,000 EM5 MKIII by 2% points in the perfect focus category. So at $2500 now, down from $3,000, the EM1X is not a bargain.
Yes A6400 have really good AF performance for what it is and cost...but lets face it, its only A9/A9II that perfomes better than A6400 in this test.

For $2500 E-M1X isnt super expensive for what it is...what dose the other cameras cost if you ad one extra original battery, one extra charger and a battery grip to the cost?

Personally i would take E-M1X over A6400 if i manly shoot wildlife and sport...its way more comfortable, better handling and better balanced with bigger lenses plus its built like a tank.

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I also like the weather sealing of the E-M1X as it was raining on mine yesterday and the 300mm f/4 while outdoors shooting birds. Sony has some catching up to do there.

Given he admits to some soft images with the E-M1X, he was also using the 5x5 group which I rarely have good luck with. Gets worse if I use C-AF+TR as in the image playback, the green AF square is rarely on the target and often is elsewhere. Really an annoying thing Olympus does and I think maybe why they do not show that green AF square in their own software (i.e. Workspace.) as it appears to go for a walkabout at times.

I have the best and sharpest hit rate with the single and smallest AF targeting square, just it is harder to use it with a BIF. I have luck using their Dot EE sight and making sure its red LED circle and the camera's green smallest AF square agree with whatever distance I am using, then rely on the Dot EE sight and a Low Speed shutter burst. Can't do that with flash though which I'm playing with.

Also, pays to calibrate ALL the AF fine tuning points which is probably something many do not do and likely the author did not do either. The DOF with the 300mm f/4 is very shallow as it is, and maybe a one point change at 10 feet may be less than 1/4" which might be beyond the sharpest focus plane in the final image. Not to mention how far off the other 24 AF tuning squares may be either. One of mine is four points different from middle so it is about an inch different which puts a small closeup hummer into the OoF waste basket had I tried to use it prior to calibration.

Part of the "This is better than that" review is it takes a long time for one to learn this equipment and to make it work for them. I still don't know all I should know about the camera - and have forgot some things I probably learned earlier on too (e.g. I cannot use any Memory or C settings as my memory fails to remember what I put in there!). Maybe why some use the cellphone cameras too as they don't take a 600 page manual to operate. :hide:

Jock Elliott

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jock Elliott

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Think it would stack up really well...probably in the same league as the best Sony cameras.

Darmok N Jalad

Shaka, when the shutter fell
Real Name
Randy
Some of those lenses make my back hurt just looking at them!

The G9 is a mixed bag when it comes to BIF. With clear blue sky backgrounds it is very good. But once trees or clutter gets in the background, it falters. I found this out 2 years ago in my BIF test written up in the G9 with Birds thread linked here:
The 2.0 firmware update added animal tracking, which does help it in this regard. I’m not much of a BIF shooter, but I have had some good results, even when some geese flew behind some trees. I’ve actually found that blue sky days are harder—I get more focus hunting. Still, it probably is the G9’s weakest point. I don’t shoot this category much, so it doesn’t bother me. Oly would be what I would recommend to a BIF shooter looking for m43.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom