1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

EM1X Matt Granger Field Test

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by retiredfromlife, May 22, 2019.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
  2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There are some comments on this video here. Why the EM1X makes perfect sense

BTW, it's going for a good price in Australia at the moment (from DigiDirect)
    Olympus E-M1X Body Only
    AU$3,389.80 SAVE 15%
    WAS: $3,988.00
    BONUS HIGH-POWER FL-900R FLASH VALUED AT $649 AUD WHEN YOU PURCHASE OM-D E-M1X
    2262_web-icon-jpg.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Olympus E-M1X Body Only

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Avondale87

Avondale87 Tasmania Subscribing Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Tasmania
    Looks like 15% off all Olympus gear, lenses are similar. 300 pro! Tempting!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    STOP upsetting me Ross !!!!

hey are you going down for Vivid?

5. Ross the fiddler

I was thinking of it but the family are going to the zoo for it. I wasn't keen for the walking (I'm not as fit as I should be) so unfortunately I won't get there again. The last one I got to was 2016.

6. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Olympus have two walk events scheduled, myself and a friend will be at the second .... seriously thinking of getting the 16mm Sigma 1.4 before then

Jun
    Walk with Olympus: Vivid Sydney 2019 (Olympus x Camera House)

location.jpg
    Meeting Point - Corner Alfred St & Loftus St, Circular Quay, NSW
    time.jpg
    6pm - 8:30pm
    price.jpg
    FREE

7. Ross the fiddler

So you're coming up to Sydney for it then? I've never been down to Canberra for the National Folk Festival, but maybe one day.....

8. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    On Matt's video. finally watched it. (home from hospital)
    The power switch discussion is obviously personal and i do wonder if he levels the same complaint against other cameras that don't place it under the right hand but really i've found that fast sleep mode is very effective and the camera lasts for days in this mode .... wake up from sleep is near instant and during a days outing i'll just randomly wake it up and let it go back to sleep so it doesn't drop into off mode.

As for the 40-150Pro lens being dunked in water .... mmmm i get the expectation but it's hardly a negative unless they also tried ALL the other lenses on hand with the same treatment.

Otherwise he was again fair even i don't 100% agree with his summary :) 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jeffcs

Jeffcs Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 20, 2017
    Toms River NJ
    I’m in complete agreement about the on-off switch not an issue but Matt is a Nikon guy and the on switch it right under the shutter button. As far as the “small” sensor not able to produce good clean images I feel he’s way off base there, Matt is a diehard FF guy! I’m loving my OMD gear and I purchased the X in preparation of the new super zoom due to the $500 off price.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Had to go and look at the images.... it actually looks possible to knock when using the front dial on the Nikons ....
    Agreed on the clean images
    That 150-400 is on the top of the savings list here :) 

11. CO_yeti

CO_yeti Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2019
    Denver, CO
    Over all a nice review.

On the IQ: we all know the images don't 'fall apart' at ISO 640. If he had quoted 1600 or higher I would have given his opinion, but 640 is way too low. He might have been shooting in jpeg and getting images with too much in camera NR.

On the lens: That video is sponsored by a rental company. I assume that is where his party got the gear to test for the trip. Those lenses are disassembled by the rental company to clean and check condition on a regular basis. No one can know for sure of it was a used lens and if it had been reconditioned and to what standard.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jeffcs

Jeffcs Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 20, 2017
    Toms River NJ
    Lenses are disassembled on a regular basis I’m not doubting you I’ve never heard of such a thing, if that’s the case well I don’t think I’d be likely to rent gear any more as maybe im Old school but only the manufacturers should be in a lens just my thoughts

13. Acraftman

Acraftman Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Kinda curious why he didn't even mention the Z7 since its their 4/3 flagship, something of note as another perspective was this video which was next in line on utube,where Joe shows a 8'x40' billboard and really stunning studio shots. Like somebody else said, you just need know how to use it. Btw I know its a miss print but the new B&H catalogue has it listed for $1,699 might order two!

14. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    Yeah, I had to buy one of those Savage Light Painting Wands ($159) to play with after that video. Interesting device.

It's bright so I had to use a ND-6 stop filter with the camera on ISO 200 and 25mm lens at f/8 to get the saturated colors while in composite mode (0.5 sec. exp.) on the E-M1X. Manual focus. Without the filter I was around f/22 as the colors started to get washed out and go white if I opened it up. I tried it first with the 8mm fisheye lens, but the FOV area was too much and I had to run all over the place for coverage with the wand.

Haven't tied it to the flash yet and I tried to pop the flash 5 times manually and it barely registered (Wig stand head is in the middle of it below, but still dark.). I need to plug it into the hotshoe and see if it''ll sync up rather than free-handing and popping it. I need smoother music for it to sync with as well so it won't break colors between color transitions.

Sample:

_5231420.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I had a Canon FD 200mm f2.8 lens that a friend had knocked out of their hands. I sent it directly to Canon for service. A client that was using my work for marketing noted that pictures that were shot with this lens weren't quite sharp and had some color fringing when the separations were done. It turned out that the regional Canon service centre didn't have a collimator. Every local repair shop I knew of did, though.
    Don't consider the manufacturer to be the penultimate for service - it's really the individual tech and their equipment that counts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Retief

Retief Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 14, 2019
    Marysville, WA
    Bill Dewey
    As a "diehard Nikon guy" myself who is now moving to the M1X, the Z7 is a 45.7 mp Full Frame. The only other mirrorless Nikon made was the Nikon 1 series, a 1" sensor, 2.7x.

I don't understand the big deal regarding the on-off, who cares where it is, you don't use it that often. I have been shooting Nikon for almost 30 years now, Olympus and Bronica prior, and also never had issues with accidentally hitting the switch.

As a D500 shooter, and using ISO 6400 with impunity, I was, note the word "was", concerned about low light, as I photograph birds and animals early morning and late afternoon. The reality is, as I noted in another thread, that with reasonable processing ISO 3200 is no problem and when I can now use f2.8 and faster glass most of the time, along with stabilization and slower shutter speeds, I don't see this limiting my shooting style.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DennyVanNostrand

DennyVanNostrand Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2018
    I think Matt was pretty fair in his review. I don't agree with his comments on image quality though. it's too broad of a statement. Image quality in what situation? I still think the EM1X wins on aggregate. For stick and ball sports, the A9, D5, 1DX are serious competition. I don't see the A9, 1Dx or the D5 as competition for birders though. That leaves the D500 as the only other option and it falls way short on features.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.