EM1X in action by mu-43 users

horsth

Mu-43 Regular
I've found the 75 1.8 to be one of the best autofocusing lenses, in terms of hitrate, on both the E-M1ii and E-M1X. I always seem to get much better results than, say, the 40-150 @ 75mm despite some claims online that the 75 1.8 has slower AF.
The 75mm is really great with the X. Against all online rumors from the past.... :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 29884

It motivates me to test it. I was always afraid to rely on it - mostly because of the word of mouth saying it is rather slow.

Stop = +1 ... it means CAF Sensitivity or something else ?

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
In the above photos we were actually part of a photo walk put on by Olympus AU and they had the full set of lenses available to try out... i was curious to try out the 300mm Pro on the EM1X
wow it's impressive for sure
Now whilst this image doesn't look sharp it's actually the projected image that is low res... the tiles on the roof of the opera house are pretty good considering the ISO
48085898907_8b99e3562a_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Vivid Sydney 2019 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr

To me this one is even more impressive considering ISO6400 and shutter down to 1/30sec and this boat was moving at the same time :)
48085899982_3db675f868_o.jpg
Vivid Sydney 2019 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
Wow that looks a fantastic night show!
I grew up in a small city in Japan, where they have a big fireworks on the lake around Obon festival.
Your images made me wish going back to Japan to take some shots! Unfortunately, I can't this year...
We have July 4th here of course, but the variety and refinement of the fireworks is nowhere close.
If anybody who spent in Japan and saw their fireworks, you know what I mean.

Gidget

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leah Hallett
Some 2500 ISO backyard birdies and a squirrel...

P6160140a.jpg

P6160113a.jpg

P6160201a.jpg

P6160129a.jpg

P6160244a.jpg

Last edited:

rocklogic

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mulyadi Robin

horsth

Mu-43 Regular
At the lake from today
E-M1X- 1.jpg
E-M1X- 2.jpg

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
Well, if finally happened. You folks have inspired me enough to get out and do some shooting. Great images all around, here comes my very first image posting in this forum, be gentle, I have only had the M1X since June. Be nice, I am new, finally found the shutter button, etc.

Caspian Terns are quite fun, and often challenging. As bird that flies fast and erratically. In my opinion one of the better tests for how well a camera and lens handles AF. As the EXIF shows 420mm, I am guessing this was the 300mm f4 with the 1.4 TC attached on the M1X. At the time I photographed these, the Tern was 150-200 feet away, the crop is approximately 1/9 of the full frame. A sequence of three of a classic Caspian Tern flip. Looking at them I may very well process a bit more to add a more interesting sky, a bit of cloud, and perhaps not crop quite so closely. Just wanted to show what I think of the M1X, when I get lucky :biggrin:

#1: For clarification, what looks like a white artifact is actually the edge of the wing on the right side of the Tern. Nice bright light.
20190801-145618-17565-M1X01.jpg

#2:
20190801-145618-17566-M1X01.jpg

#3:
20190801-145618-17567-M1X01.jpg

Hope you enjoy, let me know what you think, honest opinions requested.

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
Thanks. This is very normal behavior for the Terns. They will catch a fish in the water, fly up in the air and flip it around to get a better grip. I have one sequence from this same day where one bird flipped the same fish at least 5 times as it was flying around.

When they feed their young, they will at times drop the fish down to them, and never land.

Gy Rob

Mu-43 Regular
I was cutting the grass today and this Dragonfly started to fly over the garden so grabbed the EM-1X with the 300 f4 pro on and did managed to get a few shots 1/5000 second f4 iso 500 CAF +2 Tracking speed and 25 focus points this seemed to work quite well .
Rob.

P1010053 small.jpg

D

Deleted member 29884

I tested the CAF + TR - Motorsport .

In my opinion it is fully functional feature. It was my first motocross and I must say, they are fast … really fast :)

The AF sticked to the helmet and held.

Still, it is expedient only for some scenarios, sometimes it is better to use one point or a group.

Motokros Nepomuk 001.jpg

Motokros Nepomuk 006.jpg
Motokros Nepomuk 059.jpg

Motokros Nepomuk 017.jpg

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
I spent a bit of time today adding a bit of new sky and clouds to one of my Tern pictures posted the other day. I still think I need to work a bit more on the Tern to sharpen it up. I do like it better with the clouds and not quite so much crop.

#1 - Tern flip with clouds
20190801-145618-17566-M1X01.jpg

Here is one more, no crop, the only processing was white balance and open up shadows. I like it when they are closer.

#2 - Fly By
20190801-151614-17830-M1X01.jpg

D

Deleted member 29884

These are grand. David, Motocross is tough, that panning/blur shot is really interesting. Is there any special technique you used to create it?

The panning was shot on CAF + Tr + Motorsport, CAF Sensitivity -2. The key was to find one longer gap in the crowd to stick to the rider and then to follow him along through the crowds by the track. To be sincere, I would take it more like a lucky shot then a repeatable routine ;-)

Actually I did just a few attempts and I was not very happy with the result, but later, at the computer, I found it interesting.

Still - for panning generally (and with obstacles especially), CAF -2 seems to work well.

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey

... To be sincere, I would take it more like a lucky shot then a repeatable routine ;-)

Actually I did just a few attempts and I was not very happy with the result, but later, at the computer, I found it interesting.

Still - for panning generally (and with obstacles especially), CAF -2 seems to work well.

Isn't this true for so much of what we do with anything that is moving? The joy of digital vs. film, is we can now afford to have many attempts.

Great info, thank again.

Latest threads

Top Bottom