EM1X in action by mu-43 users

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
@Retief
Following are my settings, but I've been using EM1X pretty much for birding only, so some of these are not relevant to other shooting styles. First, you may want to spend some time testing some settings within each shooting mode (A, S, M) before registering them to C1-C4. That's because once C1-C4 are written with certain shooting mode (A, S, or M), the mode cannot be changed. For example, if C1 is registered from the settings in A mode, you cannot change the C1's mode to S mode while retaining other parameters stored as C1. So, basically, A, S, and M shooting mode is a template for C1-C4.

Now, I list AF settings and menu location, and make some notes based on my experience.

1. AF Mode
Gear>A1>AF Mode
It is up to your shooting style, but I like C-AF+MF because I can get approximate focus by C-AF first, and if I'm in doubt, fine tune focusing by simply rotating focus ring (without using MF clutch available only in Pro lenses). This is pretty much like the way D500 works, but missing in EM1.2 (S-AF+MF was available). Additionally using magnify and focus peaking, I can confirm the focus is good. This is useful for perched birds deep in branches (not flying birds).

2. Back button focusing
Gear>A1>AEL/AFL
In order to use back button focusing, change the mode selections S3/C3/M3, and Half Way Af: Inoperative.

3. Focus Ring orientation
Gear>A4>Focus ring
I make it clockwise orientation to focus more distant targets. You can set up the other way (counterclockwise).

4. Focus peaking while doing MF
Gear>A4>MF Assist
I set up Magnify OFF, and Peaking ON. When I want Magnify, I use front function button which is assigned to start Magnify function (see below).

5. AF area definition
Gear>A2 [custom] Target Mode Settings
This is totally your 'play ground', and you can set up AF area with various size (horizontally and vertically) and you can also skip rows/columns so that AF performance is faster. I haven't tested vertical boxes (like 1x7, 3x11, etc), but for birding, horizontal boxes below seem like working. So, current registration for C1-C4 custom AF area look like these.

C1 7x1, C2 7x3, C3 7x5, C4 7x7

I found C1 and C2 are useful when you pan and follow fast flying birds like ducks/geese flying out of the water. Even I fail to keep the bird in the center, a part of the bird is still within the horizontal boxes, and focuses well. These horizontal box setups are useful also when you see a big bird (like herons or egrets) flying in distance. For large birds or the bird flying above my head circling, I use 5 box-cross or 3x3 box square because I can mostly keep the bird in the center of the frame. I haven't found 7x5 or 7x7 larger AF area useful. I think these large AF areas make the AF performance slower, so I'm going to replace C3 and C4 for something else in the future.

6. Fn lever function
Gear>B1>Fn Lever function
I use Fn lever as Mode 2 to switch AF area selection (I switch between 3x3 and 7x3, depending on the size of the bird, 7x3 for small/fast bird, 3x3 for big bird).

7. Shutter/Burst mode
I use mechanical shutter and Low burst almost all the time. Low burst is required for CAF to properly adjust the focus between exposures. Lots of people actually use silent (e-shutter) mode, but I often pan the camera fast, so I just don't like rolling shutter effects. But rolling shutter of EM1X (EM1.2) is very minimal so using silent mode is totally fine in most cases.

8. Picture mode/size and dual card settings.
Gear>H1>Card slot settings
I use Dual Independent, and save Raw to slot 1, Jpg to slot 2. Video files go to Slot 1.

The quality of Jpg is LF (Large/Fine) so that the camera clears buffer relatively fast. I use the Jpg files in slot 2 only for backup purpose, or quickly take it out and put it in the card reader connected to my smart phone. Of course, you can transfer Jpg files to your phone via WIFI/Bluetooth, but I'm just doing what has been working, and saving battery life a little bit by disabling wireless functions.

To set up picture/slot storage destination, you need to go Camera1>camera picture icon. This is kind of confusing all the time (slot settings are Gear>H1, and file storage destination in Camera1 menu).
By the way, I use SONY G 64GB (UHS-II, R300MBS/W299MBS) for both slots.

9. Metering and ISO setup.

This is really depending on your shooting targets/styles, so I just mention my settings (with 300mm F4 Pro). I make C1 as S priority mode (1/1600 as default), and ISO max is set to 6400. Metering is center weighted. I use C1 when lighting condition is poor.

Then, C2 is Manual mode (SS 1/3200, F6.3 as default), and ISO max is set to 1600. Metering is ESP. I use C2 when lighting is very good. C2 allows additional DOF so that AF inaccuracy is compensated if the target moves faster than expected.

Auto ISO max/default is set up via:
Gear>E1>ISO-Auto set
This is what I register in My Menu, because I always struggle to find where it is.

10. Front function button customization
Upper front function button (Default: One touch white balance) is assigned to Magnify. This is useful when you switch to manual focus.
Lower front function button (Default: Preview) is assigned to change AF to Home mode. I set up Home AF via Gear>A2>Set Home, and make is single box in the center. So, this button is used when I see a bird deep in the branch and want to focus on just on the bird with the small AF area. Usually, Magnify, and MF adjustment would follow to nail the focus.

11. Other preferences (still testing)

CAF Center Priority vs. Center Start: Gear>A1
CAF sensitivity (-2 to +2): Gear>A1
EVF frame rate: Gear>D2

There are many other features I haven't touched or used only several times, e.g. hand held high res, AI focus/tracking, HDR/focus stacking, live ND filter, Procapture, etc and many video features have not been explored. But things listed above will get you started, especially for birding/wildlife photography. We look forward to discussing with your own experience/settings.

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
@Retief
Following are my settings, but I've been using EM1X pretty much for birding only, so some of these are not relevant to other ...

One thing is for sure, I owe you not only Lunch but Dinner, I plan to take care of this perhaps next fill when we go to Jaspar and the Grand Tetons. I may be forced to come by and say "thanks" in person.

I will be copying this and saving it for future reference. I read the "manual", what a freakin' joke that thing is, that comes in the box. It told me how to turn on the camera, like I couldn't figure that out by myself, and not much else.

Any references for a good reference book? I have look at the Advanced manual online, and will download that to my phone and table, but sometimes a good hard copy manual can really help.

If I can't find a "newbie M1X" thread, I will start my own.

This thread has been great. 1st camera and lenses arrived yesterday, next set should be next week. Too much fun.

One comment I will make, whoever designed the "My Menu" to not allow saving the sub-menu items should be re-educated. It is nice to get the "section" of what you want to change, but having to still do additional button presses to get to the actual item you want to change is simple lazy and silly. After 50 years of software development I feel well qualified to make such statements, after all, us old folks are ALWAYS right!

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
One thing is for sure, I owe you not only Lunch but Dinner, I plan to take care of this perhaps next fill when we go to Jaspar and the Grand Tetons. I may be forced to come by and say "thanks" in person.
My pleasure! Every year, I and my wife talk about going to Coeur d'Alene for Eagle watching cruise boat, but end up staying around our state. We love driving up to Teton, even in Winter and temperature is -10F. Jackson and the reservoir nearby, called Palisades reservoir is our favorite 'day trip' to see some eagles and ospreys.

Re: books/references, there should be good ones about EM1.2, but I don't know about EM1X yet. I'm a person just trying this and that in the menu before reading the manual, so never needed a printed manual. But I understand it's quite overwhelming, and very different from Nikon. We are still 2-3 months after product release, so we need to be guinea pigs.:)

Yes, the inability to register submenu to My menu limits the use. Hopefully they can fix that in the future firmware upgrade. I also work as a code developer for specific needs in our research lab (not photography or IT research but bio/medicine), and understand your frustration.

Just curious, are you getting two cameras for you and your wife?

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
My pleasure! Every year, I and my wife talk about going to Coeur d'Alene for Eagle watching cruise boat, but end up staying around our state. We love driving up to Teton, even in Winter and temperature is -10F. Jackson and the reservoir nearby, called Palisades reservoir is our favorite 'day trip' to see some eagles and ospreys.

Re: books/references, there should be good ones about EM1.2, but I don't know about EM1X yet. I'm a person just trying this and that in the menu before reading the manual, so never needed a printed manual. But I understand it's quite overwhelming, and very different from Nikon. We are still 2-3 months after product release, so we need to be guinea pigs.:)

Yes, the inability to register submenu to My menu limits the use. Hopefully they can fix that in the future firmware upgrade. I also work as a code developer for specific needs in our research lab (not photography or IT research but bio/medicine), and understand your frustration.

Just curious, are you getting two cameras for you and your wife?

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
We were in Yellowstone the end of February. -35f one morning. The day we left, 3/2, it was -9, did not hit 0 until almost noon.

I could easily convince myself to do an Eagle tour on Couer c'Alene. Would give me a good excuse to go to the Duluth Trading store in Spokane, I love their ads.

Living near Seattle and hearing about how "great" the software talent is here, Amazon/Google/Microsoft, I often want to, well, throw up. The software talent certainly does not show in the quality of the code. Hopefully Olympus is better at doing meaningful firmware updates than many of the other camera manufacturers.

We will figure this out, I really enjoy meeting people in "real life" that I have met via the internet. Usually they are fine people. When they aren't, well, one can always find a convenient cliff nearby ...

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
[QUOTE="masayoshi, post: 1286321,
Just curious, are you getting two cameras for you and your wife?[/QUOTE]

PS:
The second camera is for those times my wife goes out to shoot with me. The rest of the time it will be my second body. Most likely I will add either a third one, or a MkII. On our Yellowstone trip I took 3 D500's, a D5600 and a Lumix LX100. Lumix is going in favor of a GH4, so for now it will be just 2 M1X and the GH4. I believe in redundancy, and having a lens I might need ready at all times.

I love meeting people like you. Makes life so much easier for lazy butts like me :thumbsup:

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
Back to the EM1X setups, I was playing with custom assignment to Fn buttons on the front.

Right now, one of them is Magnify, and another one is AF Home function. AF Home is set up to go single box in the center (and C-AF+MF). So when I see a perched bird, I hit Magnify button, and hit AF Home, and change it to single box and try to focus on the bird's eye. Get some shots, de-Magnify, hit AF Home again to go back to 3x3 (or 7x3) boxes to prepare for the moment the bird flies off.

Olympus pro lenses have another function button L-Fn, so I wanted to assign something useful to it. Then, I remember I assigned Preset MF for EM1.2. Preset MF is useful, when I try to lock AF on a flying bird in the sky and AF goes to infinity, I completely lose the bird in the EVF. Then, I press Preset MF (which is set up ~30m), and I usually regain the view of the bird, and try to lock the AF again.

So I just wanted to do the same thing with EM1X, and found I can't! Preset MF doesn't appear on the list of assignable function, WHEN the Fn Lever is set to Mode 2. I checked EM1.2 again, and I can assign Preset MF to L-Fn, even the Fn lever is Mode 2. I don't know why EM1.2 can do that, and EM1X cannot. :mad:

Maybe we should have a list of requests for the firmware update, and send the request to Olympus with multiple names on it?

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
We were in Yellowstone the end of February. -35f one morning. The day we left, 3/2, it was -9, did not hit 0 until almost noon.

I could easily convince myself to do an Eagle tour on Couer c'Alene. Would give me a good excuse to go to the Duluth Trading store in Spokane, I love their ads.

Living near Seattle and hearing about how "great" the software talent is here, Amazon/Google/Microsoft, I often want to, well, throw up. The software talent certainly does not show in the quality of the code. Hopefully Olympus is better at doing meaningful firmware updates than many of the other camera manufacturers.

We will figure this out, I really enjoy meeting people in "real life" that I have met via the internet. Usually they are fine people. When they aren't, well, one can always find a convenient cliff nearby ...
The Couer d'Alene Eagle tour runs in December, so when we decide to go there, we'll contact you!

D

Deleted member 29884

Masayoshi

All you posts are extremely informative, I'm glad to be allowed to read them :)

I also have front top button assigned to Magnify. For the front bottom I have Custom mode, which is dedicated to BIF - S 1/2000, IS 2, 5x5, CAF +2, MSHTR ...

Thus, seeing some flyiing birds, I can quickly set the camera to photograph them.

AF Home I have set to joystick press.

Your description of the routine for perching bird and AF Home set to change to single point in the middle, and CAF + MF, is interesting. I will test it :)

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
I'd been meaning to do it for a while and the discussion above made me do it. I have the Front buttons set this way.
Top button - ISO, you don't need to move your finger from the shutter.
Bottom button - +/- Compensation, press once to turn on, in M mode the joystick gives L/R Exp Comp, Up/Dn Shutter speed, press again and turn off.

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
Thanks for both of you for sharing your front button use!

Re: David's use of Custom mode assignment to the front button, I always wondered what it does. Pressing button and all the set ups suddenly becomes C1? That's very interesting, and useful if I want to toggle my C1 (low light birding) and C2 (bright light birding) with a press of button. Needs to try that!

I like Phil's approach, which is very simple.

But I admit I'm a tweaker, and love customization. When I finish custom setups, I feel like I solved some hard puzzles. ;)
Whether the customization works or not is really another matter:blush:

RAW-Shooter

Mu-43 Rookie
Time for me to chime in...
Canon user since 1980, I switched to the EM-1 Mk2 around July 2017. I really missed my Canon 1D MkIV + 100-400 for quite some time, but I needed to shed the weight of my gear.
I took a while to get used to m43 and I missed this "critical" sharpness factor.
Now I just got the M1X yesterday. I did not want to, but the current promotion and the fair price I got for the two EM-1 bodies...I was unable to ignore a deal like that. I still cannot believe that I did this... :)

So, for those reading this thread and do not have Olympus menu experience, "The Olympus E-M1 MkII Menu System Simplified" by David Thorpe is a good starting point. Most of the things are also true for the M1X.
If you are more visual I found the YouTube of Tony Northrup quite good and in depth:
Again about the EM-1 Mk2 but a lot of things can be applied to the M1X as well.

Somebody here was musing about firmware updates and the odd MyMenu etc. Olympus is rather good about updating their firmware driven by customer feedback. The more noise we make the more likely Olympus will take notice.

I reckon we will be on version 1.2 by the end of the year and the version 2.0 about a year from now with a lot of improvements (AI for BIF !!!). At least this has been the Olympus pattern in the past.

I greatly appreciate all those good tips and tricks in this thread and I will throw in my 2 cents if I find them...

Tomorrow I go out for the first test session with the M1X. Should be fun.

Cheers.

D

Deleted member 29884

Masayoshi

Yes, you can call out a C1 setting by pressing a button, which is very handy.

If you like puzzles, you will appreciate the fact, that the setting itself contains the information about assigning custom modes to the buttons ...

I do no want to spoil your pleasure to solve this puzzle, but this means you can have more variants of assignments of buttons .... ;-) :)

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Masayoshi

If you like puzzles, you will appreciate the fact, that the setting itself contains the information about assigning custom modes to the buttons ...

I do no want to spoil your pleasure to solve this puzzle, but this means you can have more variants of assignments of buttons .... ;-) :)
Mmmm... I had puzzled that out a month ago and couldn’t make it work for my hillclimb shoots... need to revisit it now.
Will,test it out later today

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
Masayoshi

Settings in settings....Sounds like Mebius belt, or Escher's stairs.....:biggrin:
I made C1 setting as a 'Birding in low light', relying on S priority, Auto ISO (max6400), ESP metering so that I can get something in the dark. So, I assigned the Viewfinder selection button on the left to call C1 settings, since I rarely use that button (eye sensing and switching is good for me). Now I'm in M mode on the mode dial, press that button and I can see C1 in the viewfinder....very strange!

Does the C1-4 override go back to the original mode once I open menu and close? SCP doesn't look like reverting it.

D

Deleted member 29884

If you assign a button to, say, C4, and you allready have C1 - C3 setting saved in memory, then if you switch to C1 for example, the camera “forgets” that C4 is assigned to that button :)

So, if you want it to be humanly logical, it is necessary to assign button BEFORE you save the custom modes.

Or, you can have different button assignment for each Custom settings :)

If the Custom mode is recalled by button, it gets lost by pressing Menu. Then it reverts to the original state.

I spent quite confusing time trying to check some setting ... before I noticed that it reverts to the normal state I could not understand what was going on :)

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
I'd been meaning to do it for a while and the discussion above made me do it. I have the Front buttons set this way.
Top button - ISO, you don't need to move your finger from the shutter.
Bottom button - +/- Compensation, press once to turn on, in M mode the joystick gives L/R Exp Comp, Up/Dn Shutter speed, press again and turn off.
@Ian Shepherd why sad mate?

D

Deleted member 29884

Phil

So you are not using AutoISO ? Then in M mode the Exp Comp is actually ISO adjusting, isnt it ?

I somehow started using AutoISO once it appeared in MFT and I’m perhaps over-using it.

For fast actions though it is very usefull IMHO.

Someone mentioned here that we should create a list of desired features and send it to the King of Olympus :)

My wish is
- enable assinging any function to button and enable assign second and third level function
- enable assigning Minimum shutter speed to Rear (Front) Dial
- enable switching off stabilisation by system for stabilised lenses
- show SAF indicator on LCD/Viewfinder (CAF is indicated)
- make some better way to select detected face, indicate more clearly it is focused
- make the focus rectangles more visible. Now they are thin and if you set it to light color, they are invisible against the sky - why not make it black&white dashed thicker line ?

... :)

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Phil

So you are not using AutoISO ? Then in M mode the Exp Comp is actually ISO adjusting, isnt it ?

Not sure but the setting your changing is the +/- Exp, how the camera achieves it i guess is via ISO

C4 contains my Motorsport panning settings with ISO locked at 64, button behaves as detailed above, button works as a on/off switch

Just tested it in C3 which is set up for Auto ISO in M mode.
Button behaves differently, it behaves as a on/off and momentary switch, hold it in and you can change the +/- Exp setting via the dial or joystick. each press alternates the settings being changeable via the joystick.

Still easier to reach and react than the +/- Exp button on the top

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
I was testing high frame rate EVF, and I felt C-AF response was slower. Does anybody try high frame rate for shooting fast moving targets? I was just panning in the bed room, and target was books on the bookshelf with various distance, so it wasn't about moving target, but re-focusing appeared slower (sometimes, doesn't refocus at all) when high frame rate was chosen. Maybe due to low light. If C-AF responsiveness slows down, it defies the purpose.

Latest threads

Top Bottom