EM1X in action by mu-43 users

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
Hi, it's been a month or so since this camera was released, and I saw some amazing pictures in this site as well as Fred Miranda and DPReview forums. But for some reasons, these images and (end) user experience is scattered all over the places. I got mine today and will be shooting birds etc, but wanted to have a dedicated thread for this camera. If you've already taken images by this camera and posted in other threads, would you be willing to x-post here as well? Let's make it open to experience on all the new features, like HHHR, Live ND, AI Auto focus etc etc etc. Also, let's make this thread to ask settings, like AF mode/area/size, AF sensitivity etc. Video AF also seems like improved, so video post may also be good.

[Edit]
I will make a wish list here, based from discussion in various places (not limited to this thread).

@Davidof_CR 5/24/19
My wish is
- enable assinging any function to button and enable assign second and third level function
- enable assigning Minimum shutter speed to Rear (Front) Dial
- enable switching off stabilisation by system for stabilised lenses
- show SAF indicator on LCD/Viewfinder (CAF is indicated)
- make some better way to select detected face, indicate more clearly it is focused
- make the focus rectangles more visible. Now they are thin and if you set it to light color, they are invisible against the sky - why not make it black&white dashed thicker line ?
@Retief and @masayoshi
-enable submenu assignable to My Menu

@masayoshi
-user selectable AF Priority/Start box. The Priority/Start box for CAF is currently limited to the center.
-enable assigning Preset MF to buttons, even Fn lever is in Mode 2. EM1.2 can do this, but why EM1X can't?
-a button function to go 'sleep' mode.

From various places (e.g. DPR)
-fix 'sleepy' joystick button. When high frame rate EVF is selected, response to joystick button is lagging.

Last edited:

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
Since I don't have any images to share, I just tell one small, but significant difference from EM1.2 which is the ergonomics of Fn lever.

EM1.2 Fn lever is on the left side of AFL/AEL button, and EM1X Fn lever is on the right side of the Fn button. I use Fn lever to toggle two favorite AF mode/target patterns (mode 2), so it's important to have muscle memory to reach to the lever. I felt the way and the position Fn lever is designed was easier to get the muscle memory. The placing of the button is perfect for my thumb. Also, with the Fn button being AF target pattern selection, the similar functions are on the same spot, which is a good thing. With EM1.2, I need to reach Fn1 button on the right top corner, and I felt somewhat less ergonomic (after setting up EM1X).

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
There are some good discussion about CAF center start and CAF center priority at DPReview.
Beware CA-F Centre Start for EM1X: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I want to test these settings for the next opportunity.
From what I understand, Center Start looks like CAF start AF algorithm in the center box, and if the subject moves off the center, it will move AF target off the center. So, I believe it's great if I have already set the focus on a perched bird in the center, and later the bird takes off, I could get sharper images. Caveat is, if there is no subject in the center box (like the case shooting birds in clear sky), the CAF will hunt and not able to move the AF target off the center. The DPReview's OP warns the use of it because of this.
Center Priority is somewhat Canon/Nikon has for years, but keep the priority of AF measurement always in the center. This is good if I grab a focus on the flying bird, and able to keep the bird in the center of the frame. But it's actually quite difficult when the bird is fast, so I have to play with the size of the AF boxes.

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
Had a chance to test some BIF shots at the park nearby.
C-AF, 3x7 box (custom 1 pattern), CAF center priority.
All images are uncropped.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Again, I felt EVF had more 'real time feel' as compared to EM1.2, but I didn't bring EM1.2 today for side-by-side comparison, so I may be in the cognition bias ($3K camera should be better). These images are bit soft, but good for the day2 experience.

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
Regarding CAF center priority focusing, I actually like this new feature.
The first image here, the focus is on the back of the bird, which is the center of the image.

Then, the bird moved a bit and I re-centered the bird's head.

I wish I can show you where were the 3x7 AF boxes were, but you can roughly estimate if you know how 3x3 AF boxes occupy in the EM1.2's screen.
I liked 3x7 AF boxes today, just because I was tracking birds horizontally almost always. For erratically flying birds such as Kestrel or Harrier, 5x5 or 7x7 AF boxes might be better.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
So, this is a noisy (ISO6400) image, with too fast SS (1/3200), and doesn't look like particularly a great image, but it tells me the EM1X's ability to get the focus in the air (BIF) is superior as compared to EM1.2. It was 20 min before sunset, and I was walking around to take some red winged blackbird pictures, but saw a duck flying and landing to the marsh in a shade. I just pointed to the bird, and focus was locked on the bird immediately. Of course, no time to change settings.
I believe it is due to the CAF center priority, which makes much easier to get the focus in low light condition such as this. With EM1.2, 3x3 AF box or cross-like 5 AF box, the AF goes somewhere else and hunt in this kind of lighting.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
I have a stack of these type of ball buried in the racket string photos shoot with mk1 and mk2 but the EM1X was much better at tracking the players and was less likely the loss focus. Certainly felt much better in CAF-TR mode than the mk2
Canberra Clay Court International #2 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
The EM1X feels more confident the even the mk2
I agree. Particularly AF seems more reliable.
Not-so-special duck shot looks very good.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Motorsport AI tracking in action - a close look at this one seems to show focus had shifted either to the drivers helmet or the rear of the car... lesson for me was to shoot with a higher dof than the 2.8 was giving :)
by Phil Gartner, on Flickr
I recall reading in a post that the AI AF would look for the helmet.
How it can figure out what the helmet is, that is pretty tricky.

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
I spent half day at Willard Bay wildlife refuge to shoot some birds. This is day 3 of EM1X usership.
It started poor lighting, but had only one hawk flying from the tree. I just post them in sequence, and all images are uncropped, just hit 'auto' exposure correction, and added 15-20 noise reduction in LR.
#1 (Perched)

I have 19 image sequence, so I'll split them into several posts.

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki

I have a few more shots, but they are all tail/butt shots, so I cut it here.

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
As you can see, none of them are super sharp (a bit soft), but none of them are complete out of focus. Maybe #3, #4 and #19 doesn't have the eye in focus, and I may need Birds' eye AF.:biggrin:
There are several things I experienced today.
1. The sequential shot like above wasn't possible with EM1.2 (at least for me). Usually 3 or 4 shots are in focus, and the rest are either too soft or complete out of focus.
2. I probably need AF fine tuning for this lens with EM1X. I just used default. Didn't have time to do AF fine tuning.
3. 3x7 with Center priority works great.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom