EM1X BIF AI Subject Detection Firmware Release Coming ! Official Olympus

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Although most here will disbelieve it I was actually aware of a previously planned / upcoming Bird Subject detection firmware update for the EM1X as I had discussed this with an Olympus rep at a trade show last year
They advised that it was in progress being worked on at that time and due for release this year.
They advised that it involved an absolutely huge amount of work with far more programming / images to sample than was the case for cars, bikes and trains so it would be several months before it was released
They came across as being very sincere and believable
I was sworn to secrecy on this as it was considered a privileged conversation and despite wanting to tell everyone here I wanted to keep my word and keep it to myself
I’m not sure whether reps might discuss something like that knowing that you would let the cat out of the bag and ‘leak’ the info anyway but my word is important and I kept it and keep quiet
I did allude to expecting a BIF detection algorithm in a couple of posts here in connection with discussions on firmware for the EM1X and on discussion of release of the EM1/3 as I was fully expecting it to come on the EM1X but also suspecting that they might sneak it into the 1/3 which obviously didn’t happen
I obviously doubted whether the planned update would make it after the J.I.P. announcement and was going to post something about a lost opportunity but today’s announcement has beaten me to it thankfully !
I now fully expect additional sales of the EM1X to BIF shooters as I get the feeling that many Olympus owners are of the die hard variety and will be more than happy to stump up for the additional AI for their chosen genre
Regardless of the ultimate / final outcome well done Olympus for these further plans ???

Last edited:

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
Although most here will disbelieve it I was actually aware of a previously planned / upcoming Bird Subject detection firmware update for the EM1X as I had discussed this with an Olympus rep at a trade show last year
They advised that it was in progress being worked on at that time and due for release this year.
They advised that it involved an absolutely huge amount of work with far more programming / images to sample than was the case for cars, bikes and trains so it would be several months before it was released
They came across as being very sincere and believable
I was sworn to secrecy on this as it was considered a privileged conversation and despite wanting to tell everyone here I wanted to keep my word and keep it to myself
I’m not sure whether reps might discuss something like that knowing that you would let the cat out of the bag and ‘leak’ the info anyway but my word is important and I kept it and keep quiet
I did allude to expecting a BIF detection algorithm in a couple of posts here in connection with discussions on firmware for the EM1X and on discussion of release of the EM1/3 as I was fully expecting it to come on the EM1X but also suspecting that they might sneak it into the 1/3 which obviously didn’t happen
I obviously doubted whether the planned update would make it after the J.I.P. announcement and was going to post something about a lost opportunity but today’s announcement has beaten me to it thankfully !
I now fully expect additional sales of the EM1X to BIF shooters as I get the feeling that many Olympus owners are of the die hard variety and will be more than happy to stump up for the additional AI auto-focus for their chosen genre
Regardless of the ultimate / final outcome well done Olympus for these further plans ???

Like I said earlier, for me it was a no-brainer that they will make use of the AI for other subjects later in E-M1X. Took longer than expected, but this will be great for birders.

Congrats on being able to keep your word!

Gy Rob

Mu-43 Regular
Opps a little too late for me I got fed up of waiting /hoping for this and the 150/400 and sold all my Olympus gear last week I had been using Olympus along side my Sony a9mkII I may come back just depends on what Olympus do.
What I can say is if the new firmware is as good as the Sony is for BIF it will be fantastic the EM-1X was the nicest feeling camera iv ever used and the 300f4 pro was a great setup and a bargain too hope it all works out.

Rob.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
The E-M1X AF is already very good. I hope this improves the hit rate even more. Tracking has been a lingering weakness.

I also hope there is more to be updated - particularly the face detection and starry sky AF from the E-M1 Mkiii, as well as 4K 60 fps for both models. Call me greedy, I guess.

steve16823

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I always thought it would have been cool if they would have released training tools and crowd-sourced training the AI for various subjects.

Latest threads

Top Bottom