em1mk2 won't operate

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
I used a mk2 in rain with a 12-40, but after awhile it wouldn't operate right, where it ignored pressing of rec button for video, and then the evf nor lcd would work - no image whatsoever. I put in a freshly charged battery with same results. I connected it to my pc, and got the usual screen when connected with a cable, and was able to import photos and videos. Still no evf or lcd when trying to take photos however. I tried a different lens with same result. Next is to put it in a bag with a dessicant overnight.

Anybody else run into such an issue? Were you able to fix it w/o an expensive repair?

On another note, Olympus canada referred me to the US olympus for repairs, which is concerning. I've had good experiences with Olympus Canada in the past.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On another note, Olympus canada referred me to the US olympus for repairs, which is concerning. I've had good experiences with Olympus Canada in the past.

If Olympus Canada Service was owned by Olympus Corporate then that might be part of them tap-dancing off into the sunset. I think the USA service center is owned by a third party, Precision Camera or something like that, who may have a stockpile of parts. They may be better suited in dealing with JIP once the song has finished and any current warranties to be covered.

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
If Olympus Canada Service was owned by Olympus Corporate then that might be part of them tap-dancing off into the sunset. I think the USA service center is owned by a third party, Precision Camera or something like that, who may have a stockpile of parts. They may be better suited in dealing with JIP once the song has finished and any current warranties to be covered.

Olympus USA refers me back to Olympus Canada. Now what? The cracks in Olympus's grand plan to offload their camera business rears its head?

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
Oh man. As a Canadian, I am starting to regret buying E-M1 mk2 and 12-100mm F4 only a few months before the Olympus' announcement of offloading the camera business. Perhaps I need to do some offloading myself.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Oh man. As a Canadian, I am starting to regret buying E-M1 mk2 and 12-100mm F4 only a few months before the Olympus' announcement of offloading the camera business. Perhaps I need to do some offloading myself.
@doady Don't regret - go out and shoot lots of pictures! It's an excellent body/lens combination that should last you for years. The 12-100 is a really sharp, flexible lens for everyday carry; it's on either my E-M1 ii or E-M1 iii in a sling bag almost everywhere I go.

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
Still no resolution as to what to do regarding camera repair in the great North. A bag of dessicant got the camera working again. I was just thinking as to what camera I'd get if it was dead. If oly doesn't repair gear anymore, that would be a disaster. Worrying...

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Still no resolution as to what to do regarding camera repair in the great North. A bag of dessicant got the camera working again. I was just thinking as to what camera I'd get if it was dead. If oly doesn't repair gear anymore, that would be a disaster. Worrying...
Glad to hear that your camera has risen from the dead, Walter.

Not salt water, I hope!

Sounds as if you have a bad external seal somewhere. Have a really good look at the lens and body seals at the mount. This is the most likely place for a seal to be damaged in use. Use a magnifying glass to inspect both the seal on the lens and the mount surface on the body. Check for loose screws.

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
@doady I bought my E-M1 MkII + 12-100 at release in December 2016.

I've never had the slightest issue with either of them.

AFAICS there is nothing equal to this kit in any other system at any price.

@doady Don't regret - go out and shoot lots of pictures! It's an excellent body/lens combination that should last you for years. The 12-100 is a really sharp, flexible lens for everyday carry; it's on either my E-M1 ii or E-M1 iii in a sling bag almost everywhere I go.

I used C-7070WZ for 15 years, so I expect to use E-M1 mk2 and 12-100 15 years or more as well. But I also expected Olympus to stand behind and provide service their product. It was just expressing my worry about not having anyplace to turn to if I need help, rather than any dissatisfaction with the camera. Sorry, maybe I could have been more clear. I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
Although it's not always mentioned I believe you must have the hotshoe cover and external flash sync port cap in place for the weather protection to work properly. I must admit that my external sync cover vanished into the weeds years ago so I'm a bit more fussy about when I use the em1 mkii. I suppose the mkiii wil have to do when it's raining. ?
Brian

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Although it's not always mentioned I believe you must have the hotshoe cover and external flash sync port cap in place for the weather protection to work properly. I must admit that my external sync cover vanished into the weeds years ago so I'm a bit more fussy about when I use the em1 mkii. I suppose the mkiii wil have to do when it's raining. ?
Brian
Flash sync port cover, yes.

Hot shoe cover, no.

My understanding, Brian.

Latest threads

Top Bottom