Review EM1mk2 with FW3.0 versus the EM1X

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
I can think of another reason... Having tried an HLD-9, it bugged me that the buttons for AEL/AFL and Fn1 were in slightly different places between the E-M1 Mk2 and the HLD-9. This difference is problematic for muscle memory. The E-M1X looks to have placed them identically between orientations which is an improvement.
I had the E-M1 for about 2 years before getting the E-M1 X and had the E-M1 before that so muscle memory controls are embedded by this point.

I don't think I'd fair well learning both cameras at the same time now though.

Real Name
Brian Richards
I have two E-M1 Mk II and the one thing that caused me to get the E-M1X was the built-in heat sink. I had an E-M1 Mk II with grip overheat and shut down on me in 2017 at the American Cancer Society Philly Bike-a-thon after shooting 3,500 pictures in 90 minutes in 85-degree F weather. This year using the E-M1X I shot close to 23,000 pictures in six hours in 82-degree F weather with one lockup while reviewing a picture while the buffer was clearing. Took a quick removal and reinstall of the battery sled to clear the lockup.

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
Very good write-up ! I was looking for a comparaison like that. I have a quick question though : Would you guys said that the grip on a Em1 mk 2 worth the hefty price ? I bought a new Em1 mk 2 ( didn't recieve it yet) it will be my workhouse and I have a pen-f as a backup/street camera. Thanks

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Would you guys said that the grip on a Em1 mk 2 worth the hefty price ?
IF you shoot a lot of vertical pictures, yes. Makes for more comfortable shooting position.
I don't, so no, for me.​
IF you need more battery capacity, before changing batteries, yes.
I don't, so no, for me.​

There may be other reasons, but for me, those are the two primary reasons.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Personally I think it's mostly an expensive waste of money. First you have to buy the grip, then another battery. It adds up pretty quickly. I can swap out batteries really quickly and easily.
As @ac12 says, if you shoot a lot of vertical images it can be useful.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Very good write-up ! I was looking for a comparaison like that. I have a quick question though : Would you guys said that the grip on a Em1 mk 2 worth the hefty price ? I bought a new Em1 mk 2 ( didn't recieve it yet) it will be my workhouse and I have a pen-f as a backup/street camera. Thanks
Humm I think I will put that 200 euros on a new Laptop instead...Thank you
Is it worth the hefty price... i wouldn't call 200 euros hefty considering but as others have said once you add in a second OEM battery its does get expensive...

My personal view is that it is worth it for the following personal reasons
  • based on glove sizings i have large hands but short fingers and the camera without the grip leaves my little finger in an awkward position that just is plain uncomfortable.
  • Extra battery capacity
  • Ability to change the battery during use without affecting long exposures, time lapse or action.
  • Better ergonomics in landscape
  • Definitely much better ergonomics in Portrait.
I'd bought the grip for the em1mk1 not long after i bought the camera.... I bought the grip for the mk2 at the same time as i bought the camera.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
based on glove sizings i have large hands but short fingers and the camera without the grip leaves my little finger in an awkward position that just is plain uncomfortable.
I bought a Promaster 7671 L-bracket for about $80 CDN to provide a rest for my little finger and protect the bottom of the camera. I even modified it so I have a custom hand strap permanently attached. The battery compartment is easily accessible without removing the bracket. I don't bother with the 'L', just the bottom plate.

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
Is it worth the hefty price... i wouldn't call 200 euros hefty considering but as others have said once you add in a second OEM battery its does get expensive...

My personal view is that it is worth it for the following personal reasons
  • based on glove sizings i have large hands but short fingers and the camera without the grip leaves my little finger in an awkward position that just is plain uncomfortable.
  • Extra battery capacity
  • Ability to change the battery during use without affecting long exposures, time lapse or action.
  • Better ergonomics in landscape
  • Definitely much better ergonomics in Portrait.
I'd bought the grip for the em1mk1 not long after i bought the camera.... I bought the grip for the mk2 at the same time as i bought the camera.
Thanks for your feedback. I understand totally your point about the little finger, looks like It's the same for me..

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
I bought a Promaster 7671 L-bracket for about $80 CDN to provide a rest for my little finger and protect the bottom of the camera. I even modified it so I have a custom hand strap permanently attached. The battery compartment is easily accessible without removing the bracket. I don't bother with the 'L', just the bottom plate.
Great price, that might do it !

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom