EM1Mk2 has automatic shutdown when too hot!

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
i haven't seen this mentioned before and don't recall it in the manual.
About 4hrs into my shooting day yesterday at the tennis the sun had finally arrived at the seating position in the stadium and it was a hot day 32c. The direct sunshine onto the black camera meant the top of the camera was actually getting uncomfortable to hold and maybe 15-20 minutes later on trying to wake the camera up after an end change things stayed black..... mmmm. Turn off and back on and i noticed a c/f red icon on the screen that clearly is a over temperature warning.
Being weathersealed i copied one of the pros and ripped out one small cloth from the bag, soaked it in water and draped over the camera.... issue solved.
I noticed later during the evening session, sitting in the shade but high 32+ ambient temperatures you could clearly feel all the top section getting hot as there is obviously a lot of computing and electronics all under the top of the camera.

I was using the camera fairly constantly most of the day so pushing the electronics hard so I'm not really concerned, just wanted to pass this on.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Ahh, that's a problem I wouldn't mind having these days. I was shooting with my GX7 while doing some ice skating on the weekend, and the metal body was just sucking all the warmth out of me hand, despite my gloves...

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Being in direct sun, I wouldn't be too concerned, as the surface temperature of the camera in direct sunlight was much, much higher than the ambient temperature. Now, if you told us that the camera overheated just due to ambient conditions, then that would be a different story (cough cough Sony a6300 cough cough).

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Being in direct sun, I wouldn't be too concerned, as the surface temperature of the camera in direct sunlight was much, much higher than the ambient temperature. Now, if you told us that the camera overheated just due to ambient conditions, then that would be a different story (cough cough Sony a6300 cough cough).
Oh yeah. Hot hot Aussie sun in the middle of summer and about 2pm so not concerned it's more about information and awareness that if your in direct sunlight that you can heat things up enough. That's real sunshine :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom