1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

EM1mk2 and rolling shutter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AussiePhil, Apr 18, 2019.

1. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Let me start with.....
    the mk2 is so much better than any previous Olympus camera and i believe only bettered by the Sony A9.
    For all intents and purpose even for most action sports electronic shutter is eminently useful and pretty much all i've used since day 1.
    As many likely now I shoot as much tennis as i can get to and the EM1mk1 would see the classic bent racket rolling shutter effect.
    This essentially went away with the mk2 unless you were directly side on to a high speed server were the racket head would be moving close to 100mph at the top of the swing and then you might see it reappear...
    However...... it's still there in an annoying manner and here's three examples to show what i mean, all photos originally in landscape mode
    In each case the ball is in the racket strings.
    This is Ash Barty currently ranked in the WTA top 10 and she has a fairly powerful hitting style
    Low to the ground, both the ball and the ball shadow seem to be in the same place
    46720908885_61445404b9_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    024982-_2119184 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr

Here the racket and ball are at shoulder height, the ball shadow appears to be quite a few inches in front of the racket
    40669980413_339e4eeedb_o.jpg
    024987-_2119235 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr

Now one from a server
    Again i caught the ball in the strings but the ball shadow ends up quite a way in front of the racket
    32693947527_4328506d91_o.jpg
    024984-_2119212 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr

It's not something you notice in a majority of photos but is obvious in these cases.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Easier to photoshop than a banana shaped racquet.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. TomasT

TomasT Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Nederlands,Rotterdam
    Tomas Titak
    yes just photoshop photos where it jas to be xD

Now seriously, it is interesting to see this on photos.

Cant you just shoot it at 8000 .shutter speed ? I see iso 400 so i think you have there reserve to push it even faster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Martin11er

Martin11er Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2018
    Sweden
    I wonder if the A9 e-shutter would have made any difference or if the tennis ball is just too fast? Did you use pro capture for this?

5. Surely this will happen with any focal plane shutter?

Running top to bottom of the gate (bottom to top of the frame) the sensor is exposed with a moving strip of light. With the ball travelling at high speed towards the racquet and the racquet travelling at high speed towards the ball, by the time that section of the image is recorded they are going to be closer together than they were when the shadows were exposed a fraction of a second earlier.

Or, am I missing the point?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I don't think any camera can completely do away with these super-high speed rolling effects until a global shutter comes out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    Wouldn't you see a similar effect with a focal plane shutter?
    1/1000 of a second does not mean the shutter moves at that speed, just a narrower slit in the curtain. It still takes 1/80 of a second (depending on the camera) to go from one side of the frame to the other.

8. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    Interesting about the shadow placement delay.

For fun, try and holding the camera in portrait mode and see if it makes any difference. Some time ago I found my DJI drone's electronic shutter was taking about 1/30 sec. to travel the frame no matter the speed picked (I was trying to find the flash sync speed on it and 1/30 was the full frame top end speed, which was about the normal video frame rate speed as well.). I believe most electronic shutters can be slower than the mechanical one in their sweep speed of the blades too.

Some info here about the Sony a9 rolling shutter being about 1/160 second which might be the fastest out there: How fast is the Sony a9 electronic shutter?

9. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Yeah could have but 1/6400 is usually fast enough in womens matches and i don't think it would actually change the outcome.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I've often considered the same question and don't have an answer or data to answer it. typically this effect is attributed to read out speed for e-shutter but maybe we are purely seeing the focal plane shutter

11. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    The A9 readout based on 1/160 takes 6.25 milliseconds in which time the ball for these players would travel around 8 inches so yeah even the A9 would have this effect.
    No pro-capture for these, i played tennis a lot and it's not hard to gauge players timings after a little while to get these sort of images.

12. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Haven't got time this morning but i do have portrait shots of serves... i'll backtrack this evening and have a look.

13. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 31, 2013
    I believe that up until the flash sync speed the shutter is a full open and close rather than the scanning speed. Past that the shutter begins to contract into a slit and that's where you the flash needs to support HSS and fire off multiple times. If I'm wrong correct me about this: But the flash sync rating is roughly representative of the time needed for the shutter to act as an effective full open exposure, so on some cameras with terrible flash sync speeds that's just a function of how fast the shutter is able to open and close fully before it acts like a traveling slit.

On some cameras like the some of old CCD Nikons, they were able to drive the electronic shutter at ridiculous speeds like 1/500 to 1/800s but those were the exception.

14. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 31, 2013
    There's a big exception on the A9's readout speed when compared against other cameras with an electronic shutter implementation:

The A9 doesn't read the sensor in one very quick line by line sweep, it reads off multiple lines which kind of can cause weird artifacts when it comes to rapidly strobing LEDs.
    Sony a9 electronic shutter details

Still an awesome electronic shutter and I wish for the day we start seeing mechanical shutterless bodies on Micro Four Thirds that let us use lenses with crazy backfocus so we can get a LX100 pancake lens (12-37.5mm f/1.7-2.8!) See the attached image for what kind of craziness can happen if we didn't have the shutter in front of the sensor to worry about, a .58x focal reducer! (Meaning 1/3 EV slower than a 135 format body in effect for the light recovered and wider FoV)

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Unless it was pointed out, I doubt that many people would notice the shadow anyway. I only got as far as her legs.

16. Martin11er

Martin11er Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2018
    Sweden
    A little (or even better: a lot of!) experience goes a long way. Well done!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. archaeopteryx

archaeopteryx Gambian sidling bush Subscribing Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Jim Kasson's method works for both shutter types. Potential noise restrictions aside, you could also shoot both and compare.

Curtain speeds for mechanical shutters are seldom published but the numbers I've come across are in the 3.5-4 ms range. Unlike electronic shutters, mechancials accelerate across the frame. However, I've not seen any analysis of how much artifacts vary as a result. Straightforward exercise but, myself included, doesn't seem to be anyone's priority.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.