EM1Mark II firmware fail

BobbyD

Mu-43 Regular
I finally decided to upgrade my EM1 to the new firmware. I thought if there were any major bugs they would have been found by now. I had no issues with the update. After it was done everything seemed to work. I could get in the menus, super control panel, all controls worked. Until I pressed the shutter button. The camera would lock focus and then the camera would lock up. Nothing worked, I couldn’t review a photo, controls didn’t work, nothing worked. If I powered off the camera and powered it on. The camera would take a picture and all controls would be unlocked, until I pressed the shutter button again.☹
Any ideals short of sending it to Olympus?

ephophex

New to Mu-43
Disclaimer: I have *not* done this myself; but if you're in a spot where your other option is to send it in for service, perhaps downgrading is worth a try?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59597165

(Also, I hope there's no rule against posting links to other forums. If there is, and the link is removed, just send me a message and I'll send you the link again.)

Last edited:

BobbyD

Mu-43 Regular
I spoke with Olympus tech support this morning. They had me go through a bunch of settings, reset the camera. They decided it’s more than likely a bad shutter. They want me to send it in. Only 5000 clicks on the shutter. Funny no hints of trouble until after the update,

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There is a chance they might still do it under warranty being the flagship model. Regardless, since the shutter is the main mechanical piece in the camera (other than switches and buttons) if the shutter gets replaced it will be virtually brand new again.

DustyGeorge

Mu-43 Regular
If I powered off the camera and powered it on. The camera would take a picture and all controls would be unlocked, until I pressed the shutter button again.☹
Any ideals short of sending it to Olympus?
I had this happen about a year ago. It was in the field and not associated with an upgrade. My memory is foggy (and getting foggier every year) but I believe I cured it by reseating the lens.

Arundo Donax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A similar thing happened to me shortly after I installed the latest firmware on my EM-1.2. After 5-10 normally functioning shots, the shutter button became completely unresponsive, and there was no image in the viewfinder, although it did display some of the exposure info. It was as if the shutter was locked over the sensor.
I removed and reinstalled the battery and lens, and cycled the on-off switch several times. It started working normally again, but I'm not sure which action, if any, fixed the problem. The lens is a PL25 1.4

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom