EM1ii, EM1iii or E-M1X

rkris

Mu-43 Regular
I am considering getting one of the following cameras. Right now there are great deals for both the EM1ii and the E-M1X.
  • EM1ii and one f/1.2 pro prime (17, 25 or 45) for $1.580
  • E-M1X for $2.100 (discounted price)
  • EM1III for $2.050 (regular price)
The discount for the E-M1X last out september, while the promotion for EM1ii and one pro prime last until October 31th.

I have been very happy with E-M5ii since 2015, but I tempted to upgrade given the current promotions. I do not need to upgrade, but I wouldn't mind trying out the pro capture feature in these cameras for bird photography. If I do buy one I will also consider buying the 100-400 pro lense when it is available.

I have not upgraded from LR6 which is my main post processing and catalog software. For the two newest cameras, I'll have to post process the files in Capture 1 (which I do have). I bought into the system due to the size advantage, but I have also grown to love the excellent stabilization. Even if the E-M1X is realtively big, the lenses is way smaller than full frame.

When I travel I tend to bring EM5ii with 12-40 f/2.8, 9-18 and 40-150R. If I know I need faster lenses I'll bring 12-40 f/2.8, 12 f/2 and 75 f/1.8. If I get the EM1ii, the kit will be 12-40 f/2.8 and 45 f/1.2.

To complicate this further, I have a lot of Nikon equipment as well but I haven't bought into the Z mount yet.

Which camera would you choose and why?

Last edited:

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
It depends on what your shoot and how often. In the absence of that info I can only go on economics and gains over your current kit and on that basis the E-M1 Mark II and PRO prime is astonishingly good value.

If you later decide you want a further body upgrade there may be an E-M1 Mark IV by then. Or if JIP doesn’t continue the system then the Mark III and X prices (especially 2nd hand) will surely be lower than they are now.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
EM1.3 as it has some nice improvments over the MK2 and smaller then the EM1X but most of the features.
But I am biased as that is what I purchased

Haveing said that JIP will make an statement att eh end of this month. Wait for that before purchasing, unless you you go for one of the EM1.2 plus free 1.2 lens which is a killer deal at the moment

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I started with the EM-5 ii and used it with grip almost all the time. I loved it.
I changed to the EM-1 ii and LOVE it. If I was making that decision today I would choose the EM-1 iii rather than the EM-1X as I value the more compact size.

Your parameters are likely to differ from mine ;)

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I've lost track, is there any IQ upgrade between the three? Different processors in the 1x and 1iii versus the 1ii iirc?

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
I am considering getting one of the following cameras. Right now there are great deals for both the EM1ii and the E-M1X.
  • EM1ii and one f/1.2 pro prime (17, 25 or 45) for $1.580
  • E-M1X for $2.100 (discounted price)
  • EM1III for $2.050 (regular price)
Which camera would you choose and why?
The E-M1ii + free F1.2 lens is the best deal now. Until Olympus by JIP doesnt release a major AF-C update for the E-M1iii (when?, will it even happen?), the mark III will be 10-15% better at best in AF-C area (so far there is no test with would compare both bodies in AF-C field). Of course if BIF is your daily stuff then get the E-M1X which will receive a subject AI tracking mode "birds" this winter.

rkris

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I'm going to exclude the E-M1X due to size.

Right now it seems to me that the E-M1ii with a pro prime is the best deal even if the camera is a few years old. I'm not sure the feature upgrades in the new EM1iii are important enough for me.

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've lost track, is there any IQ upgrade between the three? Different processors in the 1x and 1iii versus the 1ii iirc?
No it isn't, at least in raws. In fact E-M1II is arguably slightly better thanks to better achievable SNR.
Advantage of 1x and 1iii is in live ND mode and handheld hires mode.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I think I'm going to exclude the E-M1X due to size.

Right now it seems to me that the E-M1ii with a pro prime is the best deal even if the camera is a few years old. I'm not sure the feature upgrades in the new EM1iii are important enough for me.

I went with the 1ii purely for the free Prime.

The biggest drawcard of the 1iii for me would be the AF joystick.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad I got the III when I did (very soon after release). The face detect and joystick alone are worth it for me, but there’s a handful of other stuff I really like too.

But in terms of the OPs question, and with no real ide what subjects etc, I’d pick the II and PRO lens.

I guess it comes down to the question whether you'd really want one of the 1.2 Primes or not. If yes, the bundled deal is a very strong point for the Mark II. If you a primarily after the camera itself, IMHO it is kind of a different matter and I wouldn't prioritize the deal too much for the decision. You should look at the feature list of the Mark III and decide for yourself whether it's worth it or not. Personally, I have to be honest, if I was after one of the two bodies, I most likely rather pay more and get the Mk III right away instead of the predecessor.

• A faster, newest generation processing engine
  • Live-ND would be something I'd clearly use or at least give it a try
  • HHHR would be an interesting addition and, as somebody who rarely likes to even bring his light carbon travel tripod, would make High-Res mode finally interesting
  • The added AF joystick seems like a neat addition and would be something I'd also like to use
  • It again has an improved IBIS, as good as the E-M1X, again as somebody who hasn't the most stable hands and is short-winded while want to avoid bringing the tripod, that additional improvement should be welcomed
  • The improved ruggedness of the whole camera, especially the shutter, give an additional peace of mind
I'd also throw in the firmware reason, I'm pretty sure the Mk II is more or less at it's end of support life, while the Mark III is a very recent camera - yet because of the JIP situation, that reason doesn't count because nobody knows at the moment how firmware development continues next year and it might be very well the camera sees only one update maybe this winter and that's it.
What of the new features are important to you, is something you'll have to decide for yourself. Of course it has been said the newer Mk III would offer an again improved C-AF, which might be (or not) interesting for your shooting habits.

If I were buying a camera body , I wud buy EM1ii n one of the 1.2 Pro lens , most likely the 17mm .
I'd also be interested in getting especially the 17 1.2 Pro, as the 1.8 version is pretty much my most favorite lens in my kit. However a lot of it's appeal comes from the convenient size and weight. I fear, at least for my use cases, the bigger 1.2, even if it blows the slower 1.8 out of the water in terms of image quality, I still have to kind of force myself using it because I like to take a small, lightweight kit with me.

On the other hand, the good news is there is not really a wrong decision here. The E-M1 II is still a great camera and the 1.2 lenses are some of the best this system has to offer. You are getting a great two-piece kit at an amazing price vs. getting an even better body (only) at a somewhat higher price. In the end you could always still sell the Mark II and upgrade to the Mark III at a later date while keeping the lens.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have both the E-M1 II and the E-M1X. For birds, the E-M1X does a lot better job with the focus on birds that are skittish like Scrub Jays. The AF focus miss rate is higher on the E-M1 II, imho.

For some reason I had a poor focus hit rate yesterday with the E-M1X. I haven't used it for a while since we have some damn mosquitos called "Ankle Biters" that are new to the area and will swarm around your socked feet and will bite through the socks. Even bug spray seems to not shake them off much and now some reports say the strain is insecticide resitant. Great! AFter my fails with the birds yesterday, I believe the longer you stay away from your camera gear, one gets rusty with it and maybe your success rate suffers a bit too.

I was planning on maybe getting the E-M1 III but holding off since JIP and the uncertainty of where Olympus is going. Was looking at the Nikon Z7S (upcoming?) and maybe their newer S lenses since I also have older Nikon F-mount gear. Then I watched some Youtube guy comparing the new Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 S (pro lens) against their cheaper Nikon 24-70 f/4 S (kit) lens and the results are astonishingly better with the f/2.8 S. I had to check my old Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 G in DxOMark website to see how the old verses the new too as below:

Lenses---Nikon-old-new.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Given the Olympus 75mm is often thought of the sharpest of the Olympus group, and mine seems to follow that thinking too, I compared it to the newest Nikon glass below: The Nikon glass is older and I'v been suspect that the newer Olympus glass was sometimes beating out my old Nikon gear (e.g. 300mm f/4 Pro lens verses my Nikon 300mm PF lens) for sharpness.

Lenses---Nikon-vs.-Olympus.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

With their newest bump in glass, I may go back to Nikon if the Z7s shows improvement in their generation II design. Mirrorless body size is about the same now and IBIS, but I would like better glass and a little more dynamic headroom too. The color fidelity off the FF Nikon seems better with the xrite Colorchecker SG Digital card too (Fashion shoots require one to be more of a demanding color purest.).

Good luck with your decision.

lucanus81

Mu-43 Regular
I have an M1.2 with the 45/25 f/1.2.
Those are fantastic, seriously fantastic. The M1.2 is a great camera however after more than an year of using it - at least for me- it have two big issues: face/eye AF is pretty poor (not too important) but even worse there is no joystick :( I cannot really move the focus point too fast when photographing toddlers. That’s why I’d go with an M1.3.
Having said this, with what happened I’d suggest opinion D: wait for any official announcement from JIP and then you decide. And to be clear I just invested in m4/3 last year and now I am in this weird situation where I do not have all the lenses I need so I am stuck.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
I was planning on maybe getting the E-M1 III but holding off since JIP and the uncertainty of where Olympus is going. Was looking at the Nikon Z7S (upcoming?) and maybe their newer S lenses since I also have older Nikon F-mount gear.
Well, Matt tested the Z6 + 300mm F4 PF + 2.0TC and got really good score already (86 %) in his red kite test.
The Z6 has become the second best mirrorless camera I’ve tested for birds in flight!
How long will it take for Oly by JIP to get there? One more FW update? One more generation?

The old F-mount glass will suffer to resolve 42MP sensor, the Z6 might be a better choice? According to the test above 2×TC is a non-issue for Nikon Z AF-C performance. And you can grab the body for very good price now. Yes, the Z6s/Z7s are incoming in October. A slight upgrade with higher price tag.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom