EM1ii aftermarket batteries.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DoofClenas, May 17, 2017.

1. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I just heard back from Blue Nook (wasabi batteries). Their version of the BLH-1 should be available on Amazon next week. I know there are other cheap versions on amazon available, but I've always had success with Wasabi batteries, so I'll wait patiently for them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks and good to know. 3rd party battery support is one thing I have been waiting for before getting the mk2. I refuse to pay that stupid price Olympus wants for their batteries and have had great success with Wasabi batteries.

3. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Not trying to knock any brand and I frequently use third-party batteries,
    but I have had Wasabi's (as well as other brands) swell and go bad on me.
    Sometimes I think it's luck of the draw
    whether you are going to get a good or bad third-party battery.
    Luckily they are cheap enough that the occasional clinker
    still makes it a reasonable choice financially.

4. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2017
    i have used dste batteries in my sony and fuji and work awesome, just as long as factory, unfortunately they don't have the em1.2 battery in canada on amazon yet, there is a brand i have never heard of but its not decoded so the gauge won't show u how much battery is left, if i get desperate i will get those as they are pretty cheap

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. moonhawk

moonhawk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Dave Cherry
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Top Veteran

Same here. The Powerextra batteries claim 1/8th more capacity (2,000 mAh). I have not done any formal capacity tests, but they seem to last at least as long as the original Olympus BLH-1.

They are not "decoded" and cannot be charged on the Olympus charger. However, the segments on the battery charge indicator do change, so you aren't totally without warning that you're about to run out.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  7. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    The wasabi batteries will not be decoded.

8. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    I'm going to wait for B&H to offer the Watson battery. In the past they had always included one with a camera purchase and they charge in the OEM charger. I've found them to be as good as the OEM. I haven't had very good luck with the Wasabis.

9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    While I agree that $70 is a lot of money for a battery, I got the 4% rewards with my E-M1 when I purchased it, and used it to pay for my battery.

I've used Wasabi batteries in the past, as well as Watson, and never had an issue with either. The good news is that with the larger capacity of the E-M1 II's battery, you really only need an extra one (compared to the E-M1, where I would always carry two spares with me when out all day).

10. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    You buy the best bodies, then the best lenses, but scrimp on the manufactures batteries.

11. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    When they are overpriced I do. I can almost get 6 Wasbi batteries for the price of 1 Olympus battery and probably get 5x the amount of shooting from them over the Olympus battery. When you take off from any source of power for 7-10 days of wildlife shooting and need approximately 20 batteries it's way cheaper and easier to get 3rd party.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    Mike,

It's called smart shopping. If we waste our money on unessential things, we won't have enough to buy the things that really matter. I paid the retail price for my E-M1.2, but I buy my clothes at TJMax and Marshalls rather than Nieman Marcus; and I have driven Hondas rather than Lexus'. I also drink $20 per large bottle of Svedka Vodka rather than $60 per large bottle of Grey Goose You just have to decide what's important to you.

Don

13. AndyT

AndyT Mu-43 Regular

Exactly this. I plan on buying an EM-1 II soonish, then off to Nepal for two weeks of hiking - no ways is it even remotely affordable to buy enough Oly original batteries. Plus I do at least one safari / bush trip a year, no power available.

I had good luck with the Wasabi batteries for my EM-5 so hopefully they will give the same service.

Thanks DoofClenas for the heads up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I have 2 oem....The wasabis would be strictly a backup to those. Yeah I could spend the money on an oem one, but it's my money and I'll spend it how I see fit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    It's not scrimping for many it's about spending wisely for what is to many not a requirement but insurance of not running out of power on the day.
    I ended up with three originals for my mk2 with the 2 spares being $109 each in Oz. Did I cringe at the cost, yep. Would I have bought 3rd party if available, yes if the price was 25% like they are for most generics.