EM10II(or III) vs. EM5II vs. nothing

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
All the new camera news has gotten me considering upgrading/updating mine.

I have an original EM10. It seems to perform fine still. Would an upgrade to one of these new(er) models be worthwhile? I understand the sensor is the same, and I've read the reviews, but sometimes it's hard for me to know unless I've really tried it, yaknow?

I'm not against Panasonic, bt I've been using olympus for several years now and just thought it might be an easier transition.

I'm looking at slightly older models both for the big price reduction (I'll get used/refurb) and because I don't want to change my LR to the new subscription model. So on second thought that rules out the EM10iii (and I heard they kind of nerfed the interface too).

mfturner

Mu-43 Regular
I would consider the feature differences and what they might mean to me. For example, any of the m5 cameras add weather sealing, and the m5.2 adds hi res. They might improve on the Ibis also. Would any of that be interesting to you?

To be honest, I added a cheap PM1 as a beater camera recently, and it's ancient 2 axis Ibis works surprisingly well for me even compared to the 5 axis Ibis of the m10.3. but I have pretty steady hands, so your mileage will vary...

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Have you thought about a used EM1-mk1.
I've seen prices about $300, and lower. Which makes me want to get one, even though I already have one.
Just make sure that the back dial works properly.
Except for shooting sports, I am quite happy with my mk1.

I wouldn't go to the E-M10 mk III.
There are too many software limitations. In my opinion, mk II is much better.

It's also really dependant on which price you're able to get.
E-M5 mk II has a better built body with more customization, a better EVF.
However, all of these are pretty close from the E-M10.

E-M1 mk I is different. It's really a great body.
Picture quality won't be better than your E-M10 though.

I have never figured out why the E M-10 III is so reviled. I got one and it works just dandy. It works just like the other Oly cameras light and has built in flash. Uses same battery as the EM-5,III. 5 way IS, Only 16 MP sensor. Venus 8 engine. Much lighter than the EM5-lll. ,but you can get better used cameras.

Real Name
Roel
I agree with @mfturner. Just make a list of features you need and/or really want and pick an appropriate body. Purely based on image quality I would argue that you would be hard-pressed to see real differences in the final images, but other specifications can make a specific body a huge step forward depending on your need.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have both the E-M10 I and the E-M10 II. Both still serve me well, and my recent purchase of the 12-40 f2.8 makes them even better. But I'm lusting (and it IS lust!) after either the E-M5 III or the E-M1 II.

MichailK

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Purely based on image quality I would argue that you would be hard-pressed to see real differences in the final images, but other specifications can make a specific body a huge step forward depending on your need.
agree!
I came from the E-PL5+VF-4 and the E-M10ii feels so much more fun besides same IQ

I would be very very annoyed by the reported limitations of the E-M10iii user interface

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
My gut feeling is that if you aren’t hating what you have now there isn’t a need to upgrade. The improvements in the models you’re suggesting aren’t that huge, and you won’t see an IQ difference in any Oly upgrade short of a Pen F or an EM1.2. The EM10 is a great camera, I’d say stick with it!

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My hot button issue is that I need to wear polarized sunglasses when I'm outdoors in daylight, and the E-m1 mark I/II, E-m1x, E-m10 mark I, and E-m5 mark I/II all use a TFT LCD viewfinder (plus the older Pens with the external VF-2/VF-3/VF-4 viewfinders), while the E-m10 mark II/III, Pen-F, E-m5 mark III use an OLED viewfinder. When I'm using polarized sunglasses, the viewfinder is either distorted (most cameras) or completely opaque (E-m5 mark II and VF-x viewfinders) if I shoot in landscape orientation. If I shoot in portrait orientation, it is clear.

Since you have the E-m10 mark I, it presumably isn't an issue to you.

For me, the E-m10 mark III is not on my radar screen, due to the dumbing down of the menu and removing the wired shutter release. But for some of the other models here is my take:

E-m5 mark II:
  • Has the TFT LCD viewfinder. Unlike the other Olympus cameras with the viewfinder, the E-m5 mark II's viewfinder is completely opaque (as opposed to being distored) when you use polarized sunglasses and shoot in landscape orientation.
  • Uses BLN-1 battery, so you would need to get new batteries;
  • Has a fully articulating rear monitor instead of the tilt monitor used in the E-m10 mark I;
  • Has improved video support, including a microphone jack on the body (and a headphone jack if you buy the battery grip);
  • Supports a battery grip to double your power runtime -- it also has external power support, but it is problematical to use (ask me if you are curious);
  • It is splash proof providing you have splash proof lenses;
  • It has high-res support if you want to take high pixel count images of static subjects with the camera on a tripod;
  • Has both focus stacking (combine images in camera without processing) and focus bracketing (shoot multiple images for late post processing) for combing macro images to achieve a greater depth of field;
  • It got a bunch of firmware upgrades some time ago that add other features.
E-m10 mark II:
  • Has an OLED viewfinder so polarized sunglasses are not an issue with the viewfinder;
  • Has focus bracketing (shoot many images to be combined later, but does not merge them automatically in the camera);
  • Uses the same BLS-1/5/50 batteries that your E-m10 mark I used;
  • No headphone jack;
  • Has some of the newer features (live composite, etc.);
  • Does not have a battery grip, but you can get a grip that allows you to hold larger lenses easier;
  • It uses the same tilting monitor used in the E-m10 mark I;
  • While it is getting rarer, you can still find new or refurbished models at a great price point;
  • Not splash proof.
Pen-F:
  • Has an OLED viewfinder so polarized sunglasses are not an issue with the viewfinder;
  • Has a fully articulating rear monitor instead of the tilt monitor used in the E-m10 mark I;
  • No headphone jack;
  • Has much better JPG options, particularly things like monochrome;
  • Uses the newer 20MP sensor instead of the 16MP sensor used in the other cameras;
  • Originally too expensive (IMHO), has been coming down somewhat in price;
  • Not splash proof;
  • It is a one-off model.
E-m1 mark I:
  • Has the TFT LCD viewfinder like the E-m10 mark I, so there are issues with polarization;
  • Has a few issues that crop up from time to time (viewfinder burn-in when exposed to the sun and set to certain diopters; mode dial and strap hooks have come off for some people -- I did have to send my E-m1 mark I in for service twice in the 3 year period covered by my extended warranty);
  • Uses a different 16MP sensor than the other cameras;
  • Has the tilt screen;
  • It is splash proof;
  • Its been out there for awhile, and like jeep owners, a certain set of the population tends to abuse it, so be careful when buying used;
  • It has a microphone port;
  • It had the first generation of phase detect sensors for using classic 4/3rds lenses with an adapter, but in my experience, there were serious bugs in it, and probably should pretend it doesn't have the feature.
E-m1 mark II:
  • With the announcement of the E-m1 mark III just days away, the price has dropped somewhat, and there may be a certain group of people dumping their camera on the used market to finance the E-m1 mark III;
  • Uses the BLH-1 battery instead of the BLS-1/5/50 battery;
  • No longer uses the standard Olympus 12-pin cord, instead switches to a micro-USB usb socket and a different wired shutter release socket;
  • Has improved video support, including both a microphone and headphone jack on the body;
  • New firmware recently improved auto focus that particularly helps video;
  • Supports a battery grip to double your power runtime -- it also has external power support, switching to a standard power port (5.5mm x 2.1mm);
  • It is splash proof providing you have splash proof lenses;
  • It has high-res support if you want to take high pixel count images of static subjects with the camera on a tripod;
  • Has both focus stacking (combine images in camera without processing) and focus bracketing (shoot multiple images for late post processing) for combing macro images to achieve a greater depth of field;
  • Has the TFT LCD viewfinder like the E-m10 mark I, so there are issues with polarization;

Real Name
Deryck
I swapped my em10 MK1 for a em1ii and really missed it even though the em1 is so much better. So I bought a new em5ii for under £400. The 5 is better than the 10, but not hugely. My advise if you must spend money is buy another lens or save up for a em5iii. Alternatively a secondhand em1 mk 1 but don't get rid of the em10.

Real Name
Greg
The e-m10 ii is one of my favorites of all time. It has everything one needs and nothing else. You could say the same of the e-m10 mk 1 I guess too.

Would I trade a 1 for the 2? Honestly probably not unless I really needed a feature lacking in the one I owned.

I have never figured out why the E M-10 III is so reviled. I got one and it works just dandy. It works just like the other Oly cameras
Not exactly.
The level of customization is very low. You don't have Myset or Custom modes.
Some settings are only available through the "AP" mode.
They tried to do an "easier to use" camera, and that's good, but to achieve that they completely removed a lot of advanced settings, which is kind of silly.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not exactly.
They tried to do an "easier to use" camera, and that's good, but to achieve that they completely removed a lot of advanced settings, which is kind of silly.
Yeah. The 3 on it's own is fine, but if you were using a 2 and figured the 3 would be an upgrade you were likely disappointed. It's always about managing expectations.

Even if you have owned other cameras before, you can be disappointed.
For instance, I've never seen a camera with no custom mode.

It's also stupid to have a silent mode that you cannot use in PASM modes (but I didn't have any silent mode on my E-M10...)

But you're right, comparing E-M10 mk III to mk II is where it hurts the most :)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not exactly.
What is sad is that Olympus did not make an alternate Firmware that retained the feature of the mk2, rather than dumbing it down.
That IS a LOT of work, but no factory difference, and you have a new camera.

Just an option software "advanced features yes/no" would go.
But Oly dumbed down a lot of their customization options. The fact you can't assign MySet modes to the mode dial positions you don't use is really sad.
On the E-M5.3 it's really stupid to have only 1 custom mode position. I had 2 on my Canon A80 (my first digital camera, a compact) in 2004.
But you get the ART, SCN, iAuto positions... which are absolutely useless to me. I would have replaced them with Mysets...

Not exactly.
I don't use a lot of the fancy settings. So I don't miss them. Most users don't. I like good IS, fast accurate focus. I don't spend hours looking at the periphery of the picture for softness, or taking pictures in the rain. If it rains ,I slip the camera under my coat. Since I don't have perfect vision I don't count the pixels on the screen and howl in agony if it is not 15mp per Cm.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom