EM10 vs Stylus 1 as "perfect" travel camera???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Swandy, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I have always shot with various 4/3 and m4/3 cameras when I traveled (unless it was someplace that I visit a lot and am not going to visit as a "photography trip"). In that case I have always had a more advanced P&S camera - most recently the XZ-1, then the XZ-2 and now the Stylus 1.

When I saw the Stylus 1, my first thoughts were "this is would be the perfect travel camera" - relatively small, great EVF and controls, pretty fast lens (2.8) and decent higher ISO results - at least till through 1600.

But I recently got the EM10 and love it. But my "general, walk around lens" is one of the two 14-42 kit lenses (I have both the IIR and the new EZ Pancake which I am very impressed with). But they are pretty slow - especially at the long end with 5.6.

My "problem" is that the EM10 is probably (at least to my eyes) at least 2 stops better as far as high ISO noise and loss of detail. That partially makes up for the two stops slower lens - albeit a much shorter zoom range.

So I was wondering how many people who have both some form of DSLR/ILC camera AND a more advanced P&S camera have chosen to take only the P&S when traveling? And were you sorry you did?
  2. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Steve, I always travel with an RX100 (since mid-2012) in addition to a larger camera (dSLR then NEX in the past, m4/3 now). I find the RX100 is a good compliment to a larger system, even with the overlap in range. And though I have travelled in the past with just the RX100 (Disney, Tahoe), the lack of an EVF often poses a problem for me outside. I'm traveling again soon, and I'l be curious to know what the mix of RX100 to E-M10 turns out to be. I haven't taken out the RX100 locally since getting the E-M10 in February.
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I second RX100 choice. Got it since it first came out and always take it with me. IQ is more than satisfactory and video is superb. Image quality wise, RX100 is all one will ever need. M43 is great not just because of IQ but mostly flexibility: DoF control, flash photography, UWA, telephoto, etc. I doubt Stylus can approach RX100 in either still or video quality.
  4. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I used to travel quite a bit with both my DSLR and a tiny point and shoot. I liked that combo pretty well, as the point and shoot I had could be taken anywhere and not be a hindrance to me. Now, I'd probably just use my phone for the shots I used the old point and shoot for. The Stylus 1 is a different animal. Much more capable, but also larger. I have never used one, but if it is pretty small and has pretty good quality, I could see taking it along and using it a lot except when I wanted my G5 with a prime on it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Photography is one of the things I like to do best while traveling, so I will almost always take at least one ILC - depends on the destination, but the short version is that my RX100 always comes along (and is also my scuba camera), and at least one mirrorless camera also comes for the ride. Bigger trips with more wildlife and/or unique sights = more gear.

I mean, I wouldn't even bother owning a telephoto zoom if I didn't take it traveling.
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My largest prints have always come from my travel photos, so my main travel camera has always been the best camera I owned at the time.
    • Like Like x 7
  7. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    I had the same question just before a trip to Cubs during the holiday.
    I usually carry the bib kit, went from Canon to M4/3 was a big improvement.
    For that trip and for walk around I wanted something smaller.
    I went for it with absolutely no regret, I find the portability and the reach perfect and the IQ is much better then expected.
    I also took it to a recent trip to Toronto and loved it.
    Now it is always with me.

Of course it also depend on the type of trip your going.
    I am going to Africa next fall and will bring the big rig, my wife will be using the Stylus 1...

Here are some samples...

This one, just because I had it with me...

• Like Like x 4
  8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    There is another choice maybe... I bought an E-PL5 recently because it was small enough to fit on the small Gigapan EPIC head (much cheaper than larger models). On a whim this weekend, I took it to Busch Gardens on a trip with my sons. What a great tiny camera! I mistakenly only took a 14-42, and really wished for a longer lens at times (so the Stylus might win there...), but it was so tiny and easy to sling around that a 40-150 wouldn't really add too much to the effort. Then you get most of your m4/3 hardware experience and really good IQ.

9. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I use to, but two years ago I got an EPL1 on closeout to replace my PS. Never looking back:

Now my EP5 is my travel camera, unless I'm on only a pure photo trip to very wet/dusty places (I've also found that dusk and night time flash images are better served by my DSLR). MFT for travel with my wife is the perfect solution, fantastic quality that fits in a coat or cargo pants pocket. I'm thinking about getting the 14-42 EZ to match with the 40-150 + MCON1 for an amazing tiny kit.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    If you don't need to fit your camera in jeans pockets, then m43 system can fit in a very small bag: E.g., E-M10 or E-PL5, pancake zoom, normal prime for low light, compact telephoto, FL-300R flash, extra batteries will all easily fit in a tiny Tamrac Explorer 100 bag. The total package would barely break 4 lbs.
  11. stw

stw Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    What is an MCON1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

I bought the E-P1 as my super P&S. I sold it but replaced it with the E-P5. If I need something smaller I'll use my phone. However the RX100 looks pretty handy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
  13. bhima

bhima Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    If you aren't shooting wildlife, I think the EM10 with a fast wide prime is pretty solid portable camera that will take better photos than the point and shoot options. You can always bring the 14-42mm kit zoom if you need the extra reach as it weighs next to nothing. Heck, with the money you would spend on an Oly stylus 1 you could almost buy the Oly 12-40 2.8 which would bring the EM10 to just a bit larger than the Stylus 1. Or just get an Oly 17mm or Panny 20mm prime. With how small these m4/3 systems are, I see literally no reason to own and carry around a point and shoot camera anymore... it made sense when I had my Canon 20D, it seems to make less sense now.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. stovi

stovi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    I agree with the post above but I currently carry a Ricoh GR which is also a very nice option for pocketable quality.

I have a small Domke bag which fits my EM10, a couple of lens (45/75) and a Ricoh GR. If I don't think I'll be doing any photography I just put the Ricoh in my pocket and leave the bag at home.

If I had say the 17mm 1.8 I could probably replace the Ricoh with the EM10 and still fit it in a coat pocket. I don't think I will get a 17mm though as the Ricoh GR is the perfect take everywhere camera for me.

I compared the size of the Stylus and the EM10 before I bought and I just thought there wasn't enough in it to convince me the VF wouldn't be a nice option to have now and then.

A friend of mine loves the RX100 however he finds it is permanently on 28mm. So might be worth asking if you really will use the zoom.
  15. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I totally agree with that. Not using my best camera for travel would be silly of me.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes, totally agree. I now carry my E-M5 plus three primes and an FL600 with me in a pretty small bag. Given that I'm a "serious" :wink: photographer, it's really not a hindrance at all.

Also, (having owned an E-PL5 and E-P5), I'm now firmly of the view that a built-in EVF is essential. After much measuring and bag head-scratching, I now realise that the E-M5 is really no bigger in any meaningful sense than either of the Pens I had. In fact, if I factor in a VF 2/4, then it's smaller. The E-M5 sans grip is actually a pretty compact camera. The E-M10 even smaller still. Short of Oly doing a Pen with EVF (à la GX7), then I think either of these is the best overall travel camera if serious photo results with sufficiently compact form factor is what you're after.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I distinguish between travel, e.g., Jerusalem, and vacation, e.g., Disneyworld. To me, the latter is the raison d'être for serious compacts.:smile:
  18. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Exactly my thoughts. When we were traveling with our kids (fortunately both grown up now) the last thing I needed was an interchangeable lens camera (unless I just left one lens on it). I was lucky to get them to stand still!