EM10 Spot Metering

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by derelict, May 31, 2015.

1. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    It meters at the autofocus point, right? I am working on my backlight shooting and spot metering at an off to the side place is what I would be using with my APS-C stuff. I assume that the EM10 is the same?

2. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    IIRC it meters the centre of the image...

3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I'm quite sure it meters in the center, should be quite easy to verify.

Personally I find the spot area so small that is too hard to be matched with AF box. For example: in a portrait I want to focus on one eye but I could spot meter on the skin, the white dress, etc. And if I decide to meter on the eye where should I put it? +1? Or zero because is half white and half black? What about reflections?
    The same goes IMO for many other subject.

Maybe this can help a little: inside the white the histogram there is a smaller green one: that one is measured on the AF box area only.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Just checked on my E-M10 and I've got the Fn1 button set to AEL w/spot metering...may be worth a try if you're trying out different methods?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    I will have to go through my settings and see where the AEL is on mine. So, having never used AEL, what is the procedure? If I meter a spot out of the way of what I am shooting, hit AEL, do I then have to keep the shutter release button half pressed or will I be able to release it then refocus on what I am shooting?

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    IIRC you just point the camera where you want and press AEL only and this will freeze the exposure. No need to half press the shutter button.
    Then you focus, compose, etc. I think you can also use exposure comp and AEL should remain set for multiple shots.

7. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Yes, just press the Fn1 button once to lock AEL, no need to half-press the shutter...if you press the Fn1 button again, AEL disappears.

8. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    Awesome. Thanks for the information. I will play around with it this week.

9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Play around with spot metering, I think you'll find the camera biases your settings by where the focus target is. I was messing around with my E-M5 and E-M1 a while ago and used the small center focus spot with spot metering on a compact bulb, then when moving the focus target away from the compact bulb without moving the camera got entirely different readings. But there is a transition area that is pretty small.