EM10 shutter button just... broke?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by imahawki, Jul 14, 2015.

1. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    I was just on a family vacation, taking photos at the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. I had my EM10 around my neck (Peak Design neck strap). I hadn't banged the camera on anything (not even any close calls) and the next thing I know I push the shutter button to take a photo of one of my kids and it doesn't shoot. I press it again and it does. Upon closer inspection I discover the reason it didn't shoot was because the shutter button and front dial assembly have started to separate from the camera body. Thus the shutter would only fire if you press the button towards its front rather than straight on the middle or towards the back.

The camera is under warranty and I just boxed it up last night but I could have sworn I saw other posts related to this but can now find nothing. You have nothing buy my word but I swear it just... broke. Is this a known issue?

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I haven't heard this, but Olympus has had enough issues with stuff just falling off to make this a real possibility. I find that a surprising number of parts are glued on and the adhesive fails. Certainly there are well known issues with the rear dial coming off.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  3. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    I wish I would have taken a photo now but I ended up boxing it up at 1am. I'm sure the turn around will be faster than this but I'm going on another trip in early September and I wanted to make sure the camera is back so I was in a hurry to make sure I got it out as soon as possible.

On the adhesive remark, it is a possibility. It was extremely hot and humid. That said, I never left the camera in a car for example. It was always with me or in an air conditioned room.

4. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2015
    Iowa
    Interesting that you mention not leaving it in the car, because just yesterday we had our first truly hot day here and I was curious how my always-in-the-car camera would fare. It's a Nikon D100 and usually sports a 28-85mm solid metal lens but I recently swapped it a mostly plastic 18-105mm lens. The car interior is black, the car is black, and the camera is stored under the seat. I was amazed at how cool it still was despite sitting in the car all day in 90+ degree temps. And it functioned perfectly, took several snaps. I know it's not really fair to compare them, but I, like you, probably wouldn't leave my E-M10 in a hot car. The D100 sells for $100 nowadays and the lens I normally keep on it sells for not much as well.

Is the E-M10 really that much of a cheapo? I know it has plastic parts, so do lots of cameras. I don't hear of pieces of other cameras falling off or breaking with minimal use. Makes me nervous to even take the camera out.

5. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2015
    Iowa
    On another note, remember when Modern Photography magazine showed the complete dis-assembly of the cameras they reviewed? They pointed out things like plastic gears which are known to be fragile, as well as other weak points in a camera's design. I couldn't find any such thing for the E-M10 online. Olympus is probably ashamed enough to keep that tightly under wraps.

6. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Having owned several Canon DSLRs from the Rebel range all the way up to the 5DII I don't feel that the OMD series is especially cheap or poorly made. 1 in X number of every item will fail in some way. Its the laws of manufacturing at large scale. Like I said, I feel like I remember seeing a thread where this was a "known issue" but since I can't find it via searching, I'm guessing I'm remembering wrong. If Olympus takes care of me, no harm no foul. If they try to jerk me around on the other hand....

7. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry
    Seems like I always hear stories about how things fall off the omd series. Really scary considering I paid $1000 for my em5 II with only a year warranty ...

8. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Seems like it's always the Em-10 and Em-5. Looks like it's a price point thing ....

9. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    And let's not forget the E-PL5, I couldn't bring myself to get a replacement, so sure was I that the shutter button would always eventually fall off.

10. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I'm not so sure. There are several threads on problems with the E-M1 rear wheel - one of those threads is now running to 11 pages. There are other threads about EVF burn-out, the camera "just dying", and assorted other problems. I assume that more of the cheaper models have been sold so maybe the level of problems is in line with numbers sold rather than price point.

11. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry
    Not sure if that's justifiable. I've used rebel line and never had anything fallen out from that plastic piece of crap haha. And the E-M10 and E-M5 are a far cry from cheap.

12. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    But I'm sure other people have had rebels fall apart for no reason too. I definitely plan on keeping the camera for a while longer after its repaired so I hope longer term reliability isn't an issue. I don't tend to keep camera bodies forever so I'm not worried about it lasting 5+ years but dang, I hope it lasts more than another 10 months on the other hand.

13. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I've also heard of special editions of the E-M10 having the strap rungs falling off. Yikes.

14. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I'm so glad mine has a 2.5 year warranty.

15. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    It's the E-M5 "elite black" that has the strap lug issues. I had mine repaired under warranty. Now it's at Oly service for a second time due to sticky shutter.

16. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Does anyone know what the normal time frame is for repairs? When you prepare to ship the camera in you fill out a form including what's wrong, if its still under warranty etc. Then they give you a reference number. The camera arrived yesterday (Have a UPS signature confirmation) but when I check the status area of the website it says "Your camera was not found. Please double check your entry." I'm guessing that means it hasn't been scanned in yet (there's a barcode on the form after you fill it out). Has anyone been through the repair process? Is it normal for it take a few days to even check the camera into their system?

17. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Not sure what normal is, but I sent an E-M10 back for a refund. It arrived over two weeks ago and still shows as "being checked in". I'm told 25 business days to see the refund. Hopefully repair is a bit quicker for you.

18. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Holy crap! If that's true that's going to be a huge problem. I might call and ask them what I should expect for a turn around then.

19. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Just got off the phone with them, he said more in the 5-10 day range after they receive it (which was yesterday). I assume there's some variance for more serious repairs but I don't think mind would fall into that category. I'll keep this thread updated if people are curious of the process. He also said give it two business days after the shipper shows it received for it to show up on the website. So probably later today or tomorrow it will show up as "Under Evaluation" on their website.

20. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I sent my EM5 to the US repair center on 7-7. It's done and should come back this week. If it arrives Friday 7-24, that would be 17 days. Typical turn-around. 2 1/2 - 3 weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1