1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM10 SD card slot

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jeffg53, Oct 10, 2015.

1. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I have just managed to insert an SD card upside down into my EM10. To get the card out requires tweezers, as the bit that makes them pop out isn't working. I'm assuming that this means a service centre visit.

Anyone else managed such a silly trick, and have a solution?

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If the push/push, latch/unlatch mechanism no longer works, then off to the camera doc it goes.

3. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I find it to be difficult enough to remove the SD card on this camera the right side up, if you can't force it out with the help of tweezers or a toothpick I wouldn't risk any further damage to it.

4. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    You have my condolences.I think SD cards are a curse. Look at YouTube SC card concerning correcting write protect problems---- over 750000 hits.

5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    So did you get the card out or are you still trying to get it out? Because if it is still in then I assume the eject spring isn't working simply because the friction holding the card in place is stronger. Once you get the card pulled out, I bet it will go in normally and the spring eject will hopefully still work.

As to memory card problems in general, all the formats have had their issues over the years. And Oly especially back when they were hell bent on using card formats no body else used (SmartMedia, xD). Even compact flash cards often had the worst issue of experiencing broken or bent connector pins which are on the device, not the card itself, so a bent or broken pin rendered your camera useless to any card. At least SD cards are pinless.

6. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Sorry folks, I thought that I had notifications set. I just got the repair quote from Olympus service. It's a mere $A448.18 to fix it. Given that I can get a new one for $A585, I don't think that I'll bother with a repair. The card still works. It just requires tweezers to remove it.

7. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    That's a ridiculous price for something like this.

I've never used either one for this purpose but I'm assuming Wifi or the USB cable will work to transfer files to your pc.

At the local Olympus and Sony display centers they use sticky tape/adhesive tape, to create tabs on their cards so they are easier to pull out. The tabs stick out enough so you can get a good grip on them to pull out but can also be folded to fit the assembly when you close the battery lid. Actually I think the main use is to identify them form other cards possibly to prevent them being stolen but I've noticed they also make it easier to remove the card. You might want to try something like that to see if it helps with your situation.

8. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    It's definitely time to investigate alternatives for getting the files off the card. I think I'll avoid removing it. Thanks for the suggestions.

9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The USB cable that comes with the camera is all you need to download files without removing the card.

It sounds like the camera's card reader assembly is soldered to a primary circuit card and is not a spared/replaceable part. This means the guts of the camera has to be replaced to fix it.

10. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    The main circuit board needs to be replaced but the labour component was just over $300.

11. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    While the Wifi is about as fast as watching cement harden, the USB cable connection is rather fast and reliable. I have a friend who downloads all of the files in that manner and only replaces the SD card in his camera when it gets filled up when he is on vacation.

12. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Thanks. I'll dig the USB cable out now.