EM10 PP flow advice

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Plumballs, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    HI All,

I am an Amateur with aspirations towards Enthusiast.

I am now only a couple of weeks away from my EM10 purchase and thinking about PP.

Currently I have gone through a trial version of PSCC, LR and PSE

I Have PS 7.0.1 (possibly with a touch of Jack sparrow), Pain Shop Pro 7, ARC 8.5 and Olympus viewer 3.

I am specifically thinking about workflow after I purchase my EM10 and would appreciate advice. If I just shoot JPG I do not think it will be a brain stretch as PSE12 will cover most if not all of my needs, so its RAW (ORF) that is taxing my pea.

1. As far as i can see EM10 RAW is not supported in PSE but I can convert files using ARC into DNG then o.k. question though is am I loosing image quality using this path or is all good? I can also see it being a bit of a pain having to convert all RAW files before PP but it is a cheap option.

2.If I purchase LR as well as PSE as I think LR now supports EM10 RAW. I could then open in LR to adjust and convert to JPG then final tweak in PSE. I Think I will need PSE as this has panorama stitching and layers which I really like. Not sure if this is overkill having the 2 programs though?

I think I need to bin PS 7.0.1 as I not sure of origins and would not want a knock on door as I prefer PSE12 anyway.

Any and all advise welcome.
  2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    If you want Lightroom then buy it. But you don't have to get it.

You can process your ORF files perfectly well in Olympus Viewer. You can output as TIFF files for higher quality. Any final editing you can then do in PSE and that will make you JPG files.
  3. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I second that the ORF files process in Olympus Viewer with TIFF is much improve in DR and shadow noise/detail, notice better than Lightroom's RAW Decode.
  4. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire

Being new to all this I had not even looked at TIFF, and thought ARC was the only real option I had.

Thanks very much for the replies and I will look into Olympus viewer and TIFF and see what I can do.

Really appreciate the heads up and thanks again.