1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM10 picture noise

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by show, Aug 21, 2014.

1. show

show Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 25, 2014
    Norcal
    I recently went to Santa Cruz for the day and while I was walking around taking pictures I was letting auto ISO do its thing. Unfortunately I wasn't paying too much attention and went I got home I downloaded my images in RAW format to check them out, low and behold a majority of my images have a lot of noise in them even though I didn't go over ISO 1600.

I mainly used my 40-150 r and Sigma 30 most of the time for the pictures that I captured. So I may have slightly over estimated my abilities as a photographer or the EM10 isn't as spectacular at noise reduction or low noise that I thought it was. It's not like It was every image but the ones with higher that 600-800 ISO really started to look noisy to me.

Does anyone that has the EM10 have any input on this or notice anything amiss with theirs?

On a side note I did test out the SCN > Panoramic setting in the camera and it works pretty well.

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If you shoot in RAW, and have noise reduction turned off, you will see noise. More noise will be visible in dark shadow areas. Noise will be worse if the images are underexposed. This is true for just about all digital cameras.

Process the images and adjust noise reduction and sharpening settings to optimist the balance between low now and fine detail

3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    What's your sharpness setting set to? A higher sharpness setting will cause some noise to leap out.

Do you print your photos? Before you get to hung up about noise, try a few prints. Go through the process of developing your photos to taste and print large and see what it looks like.

4. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    How much you sharpen, how you do it, and how you apply noise reduction really affect the output of a processed image. Pushing the detail slider on the Sharpening menu in ACR, for instance, will quickly overwhelm an image with grain even at base ISO. Yet you can also get very good and clean results from ISO 3200 (though at this point they'll be losing fine detail) if you're careful.

5. show

show Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 25, 2014
    Norcal
    I hadnt applied any edits in lightroom or photoshop. The noise filter/reduction settings are at auto and standard I haven't touched those in the camera.

Ill try printing an 8x10 and see how it looks. I'm sure I might be way off base.

6. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Can you post a sample image.

7. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    Without an image, it is tough to have much insight into what or where the problem is. Everyone's tolerance for noise is apparently different. My experience is that on a properly exposed image, the noise at 1600 is pretty fine grained and can either be easily cleaned up in LR with minimum (although some) loss of detail or even, for smaller prints, be pretty much ignored. For comparison, here is an ISO 1600 shot, developed in LR with no clarity, nr, or masking, and default sharpening (I think about 25). This is about 1/4 of the frame. You might want to look at this and compare it to the results you have:

[​IMG]

8. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I agree with MNm43 - higher ISO noise is very subjective. I leave my EM10 set to Auto ISO and max it out at 3200 because that is the level that I feel the results require little if any noise work - but I am generally shooting JPEGs but the Noise Filter setting is on OFF. If you are shooting RAW, even with the noise settings on AUTO, they will have no effect on what the RAW files look like unless you are using Olympus Viewer for your RAW conversions because it bases its settings on the camera settings. Any other software - to my knowledge - uses it's default settings, which generally apply little or no noise reduction.

9. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I routinely shoot auto ISO up to 6400 w/ EM5 and EPM2. Must be something in your settings. Only rarely do I have noise concerns. Did you turn off Auto gradation? (or whatever the lowest setting is). That's been an issue since the E600s

10. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I'm not expert and am probably less picky than many. I set an ISO limit of 5000--weird number I know, but I've found that 6400 is where the banding starts on my Pansonic 20mm.

11. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    Noise can even be common at ISO 100 if not properly exposed, especially if you block up the blacks. As mentioned by others, there is not enough information here to determine the real issue. A raw (unadjusted) file screen shot of the histogram would help immensely!

12. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Noise isn't just about ISO.. its also about the quality of light and making sure you properly expose your exposure. That's where AUTO mode can be a problem. Your camera auto doesn't use the smae type of light that a traditional light meter reads. That's why dialing in exposure compensation and readjusting in post is sometimes needed for cleaner iso images.

Test equivalent exposures at differing iso and you'll see what I mean.

Image 1- full auto. Note aperture, iso and shutter
    Image 2- set same aperture but change shutter 1 stop shorter ie less light gathering and adjust iso 1 stop higher to compensate..
    Image 3- set same aperture but change shutter to 1 stop longer then auto and decrease iso 1-stop to compensate

Make sure you're still under iso 1600 so 800 ideally and see noise pattern..

That's why many people suggest shooting in a-mode unless you need to speed control for long exposure or to prevent blur then s-mode or manual and dial in exposure compensation and keep iso as low as possible..

Auto.. its a simple coding in my opinion to keep shutter as fast as possible to prevent blur and not image quality. You'll probably almost immediately see in a-mode with f4 or 5.6 almost immediately a huge improvement.

13. show

show Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 25, 2014
    Norcal
    It was my fault and completely unwarranted worry for the images, it turns out I am a complete dumb ass. I was messing with one of the sharpness sliders on an older raw file a while ago and for some reason my LR had the settings saved and modified to carry across all the pictures that I imported. I didn't notice that was the case until I started digging deeper, problem fixed and pictures are absolutely fine. It did have me worried for a minute there, I thought there was something wrong with my camera.

• Like Like x 1