1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM10 or EPL7 + O45?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by bumblebee, Jan 4, 2015.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    I currently own an EPM2 and am interested in getting a new body. Major reasons being that I find the controls rather limited, the lack of a tilting LCD is a constant annoyance, and the lack of built-in WiFi makes the images less simple to share with friends. I'm also interested in the better IQ a newer body might provide.

I consider myself a hobby photographer and the majority of my photos are travel-related. I also take a lot of dog photos and take pictures at social events. I'm interested in photography as an art form, but am also the kind of person that will take the occasional silly photo just for the sake of sharing it over Instagram.

Lately I've been mulling over the idea of getting either an EM10 or an EPL7...and with the money I'd save from getting the PEN, I'd put it towards a used O45 as I'd like to get into more portrait work.

And, I realize -- with all the great features of the EM10 and the lacklustre reviews on the EPL7 this might seem like a no-brainer. I was pretty set on getting an EM10 from Olympus Canada when they were having their December sale, but second guessed myself and missed out. Now the EPL7 is on sale and I just can't decide. I prefer the aesthetics and small size of the PEN (and have tiny hands so ergonomics is never an issue for me), plus the money saved can go towards more glass. However, I wonder if there will come a day when I'll wish I had the viewfinder, built in flash and other extra features of the EM10...and I wonder if it is really worth skipping over such a well-regarded camera just so I can have a smaller, hipper body.

Another thing to consider is I'm not sure if I should try to sell off my old EPM2 body once I upgrade, or keep it around for throwing into my purse/tossing at travel companions...

Or, damn it all, should I just keep using my current camera in hopes that Olympus will release an absolute answer to all my problems sometime this year?

2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    E-PM2's sensor VS E-M10's sensor = IQ is about the same, from my understanding, the E-PM2 has Sony's sensor and E-M10 has Panasonic's sensor.

Size VS EVF? you need to ask yourself, what is the most need to you.

EM5 MKII is coming in FEB, it might be yours.

3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I have not read many reviews of the EPL-7 but I see no reason why it should be worse than the EM-10. As far as I know it is the same camera without the EVF.

Like Halaking I would not expect a big difference in IQ. IBIS and controls should be better.

So the question is? Are you going to use the EVF? Are you going to use it for "action" shots where you need to follow the target? Are you going to use it with big lenses (12-40/2.8, 75, ecc.) where you could need a better grip? Shooting with the EVF should keep the camera a little more stable but I do not know how much does it matter in real life. Is there any shop near for a real world feel?

It looks to me that you are quite sure that right now you'd like a small body and EM-10 is not that pocketable. But the EPL-7 is pocketable only with pancake lenses.

This afternoon I'm going out and I'd like to pick up the EM-10, just in case, but the shape even with the small P20 bothers me...

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The E-M10 and E-PL7 are basically the same camera - just that one has an EVF and the other doesn't. So far as I know, they both have the same sensor (the Sony one used in the E-M5 and E-P5 etc). Personally, I can't live without an EVF - YMMV of course!

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I believe the E-M10 is the same Sony sensor as the E-PM2, but with the improved processing of the E-M1. The E-M1 is the only modern Olympus body with a 16mp Panasonic sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I would personally choose the EPL7 for the form factor and cost savings over the EM10, but I am not a huge EVF user.

Only thing I might miss is a second control dial, which I believe the EM10 has but EPL7 does not. I get by without it on my EPM2, so while I'd miss it I wouldn't miss it that much :)

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd say E-M10 is a better long-term purchase. Built-in EVF is very useful in sunny conditions. Same goes for built-in flash which E-PL7 lacks. Also, E-M10 has much more user friendly buttons/dials layout.

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks for all the responses so far! I've really been waffling between the two so your opinions have been very helpful.

I've been comparing specs on the Olympus website, reading Robin Wong's reviews, etc. and they do seem to be pretty similar in most respects. Do they really have the same processor? I'm seeing conflicting information -- the Olympus website says the EM10 has TruePic VII and the EPL7 has TruePic VI. If this is an error though, this wouldn't be the first time I've caught something...

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I have a friend who uses the Nikon D7000.
    I recently snaffled up an e-pL7 and had it lying about with the VF-4 ontop.
    He was totally awesommed by that combination. Now he wants.
    Lightweight, touchscreen, WIFI, huge VF-4, proper good stabilisation, FAST processing, NICE Jpegs.
    What's not to like?

10. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Austin, Texas USA
    Jim Phipps
    I like my EM5. It is very capable and has easy to use controls and system.

11. bumblebee

bumblebee Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    From reading all the comments and some self reflection I've decided I'll get the EPL7.

Now a related question -- I haven't bought it yet, but would like to have it before my next vacation at the end of April. Olympus Canada currently has them on sale ($100 off -- body only is $499 CAD) until the 22nd. Is this about as good as it's gonna get? In December they were offering a free 40-150 zoom lens if you bought the kit (I would sell off the lenses to reduce the cost of the body) but not sure that will happen again anytime soon. Thoughts? Should I buy now?

Also, since the Canadian dollar is tanking against the US dollar, do you think they'll adjust the prices at some point?

12. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Bumblebee, the E-PL7 hasn't arrived in western Canada retail stores yet. The box stores here are still selling the E-PL5, still only offering $100 off. From my observation, the box stores at this side of Canada seldom discount Olympus bodies. And yep, I wonder how long Olympus Canada will ignore exchange rate.

13. bumblebee

bumblebee Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    Yes, I noticed most of the stores in Vancouver weren't carrying them -- Kerrisdale Cameras has the EPL7 available for special order but only as a kit so I was planning to order online :)