EM10 or EM10 II - upgrade from Epm1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by emroz_2272, Oct 16, 2016.

1. emroz_2272

emroz_2272 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 17, 2012
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Rahat Bin Kamal
    Hi everyone!

I am looking to upgrade from an EPM1 which I have been using with the 45mm f1.8 & 25 mm f1.8. Also had a flash (FL600R ) but it's currently not working in TTL mode.

Main reason for upgrade is - better high ISO performance. The subject of most of my photography is my 8 month old daughter.

Under the circumstances, I wish to have your counsel on choosing between (i) OMD EM10 (ii) OMD EM10 II and (iii) Pen EPL7

I don't want to spend more than required. Have also been looking at used EM1s at Amazon but not sure about how the experience will turn out. Also, I'm not being able to check the marketplace here because the purchase process is a bit complicated. I reside in Bangladesh and will be asking a relative of mine to purchase from Amazon USA as he is a member there.

Look forward to your guidance!

Thank everyone.

2. fader

fader Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2016
    Brest, France
    Isaac
    I have the EPL7 and the 45 and it makes a fantastic combination. I think image quality is the same compared to the EM10 I or II from what I've learned from various sensor tests on the 'net. composing your shots with the tilt LCD seems a lot easier with moving children compared to using EVF, but that's just me. It took me a bit to get used to using live view and give up my SLR habits, but now that I have it would be difficult to go back. tilt the screen up, hold it down low in C-AF burst mode (the burst rate is incredible for a camera of this cost and size, imo), and get to kid chasing!

• Like Like x 1
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Any of those cameras will be an upgrade. If you want a Evf (personally I prefer one) , you'll need a em10. Not sure the differences between version 1 and 2 of the em10, maybe someone else can chime in. I think version 2 has better stabilisation, 0s anti shock

• Like Like x 1
  4. emroz_2272

emroz_2272 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 17, 2012
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Rahat Bin Kamal
    Thanks for your response! Have you experienced any shutter shock between 1/60s to 1/100s shutter speed? Also, what would be your opinion on ISO 1600 or ISO 3200 noise output (at low noise reduction setting or at the mode you use noise reduction at)

5. emroz_2272

emroz_2272 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 17, 2012
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Rahat Bin Kamal
    Been using an Epm1, so am used to composing on the LCD.

6. fader

fader Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2016
    Brest, France
    Isaac
    It's hard to say on the shutter shock issue. I've experimented with the 0s electronic shutter feature to eliminate the problem (which the EPL7 does indeed have) and I didn't notice much of a difference (if any) in my results. Then again, I don't shoot anything with a tripod and absolute sharpness isn't a requirement to me because I'm not a pixel peeper. The 3 axis IBIS works very, very well for stills and the 2 or 3 times I used video. I think the M10 will perform identically in this regard.

For candids and family photos for web sharing, up to 6400 is just fine, but you likely won't need it with the faster primes. I use a denoise plugin in Gimp and 6400 cleans up very well with about 10 minutes of work. Having said that, I rarely see auto ISO go above 1600 when shooting f1.8 or f2. It's really nice that the tech and the quality are finally working in our favor for < $1000 price point.

If you think you want the EVF, you couldn't go wrong with the EM10, either. It's very similar in size and the IQ is also great. The whole m43 system is fantastic - pleased as punch.

• Like Like x 1
  7. emroz_2272

emroz_2272 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 17, 2012
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Rahat Bin Kamal
    Thanks for taking the time out to reply. Appreciate it!

• Like Like x 1
  8. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    All three of those are great little cameras. Did you consider the gm5? It's on sale for 459 with the 12-32 lens. It's the smallest option of the bunch.

• Like Like x 1
  9. emroz_2272

emroz_2272 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 17, 2012
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Rahat Bin Kamal
    Thanks for the suggestion! I wish to stay with Olympus for the time being. The learning curve with Olympus' menu took quite a while!

10. sandstoned

sandstoned New to Mu-43

Jan 13, 2016
    Eric
    I moved through the exact same camera progression as you (and for the same reason). The e-m10 does have the 0sec anti-shock, and I have never found my to images suffer from shutter shock. I recently upgraded again when I found a good deal on a used e-m1, which I wanted for the weather sealing. I am planning to sell my e-m10 on ebay, but if you decide you would like to go with that camera, we could probably work out a fair price. I have taken very good care of the camera, and I think you would find it to be in excellent condition. PM me if you are interested, and we can talk more.

11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    All three cameras have 0s anti shock and it's very effective at fixing shutter shock. They all have pretty much the same sensor and IQ too. The E-PL7 and E-M10 are pretty much the same camera except for the EVF inclusion or not.

The E-M10ii gets the higher res viewfinder and improved IBIS - oh, and 0s anti-shock in burst mode. I think the E-M10ii is the better all-round option, but obviously at a higher price.

• Like Like x 1
  12. emroz_2272

emroz_2272 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 17, 2012
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Rahat Bin Kamal
    That's very nice of you! However, I'll probably get a brand new Em10 if possible. Em1 is a different proposition though. Thanks

13. emroz_2272

emroz_2272 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 17, 2012
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Rahat Bin Kamal
    Looking more and more likely that I'll be getting an Em10

14. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I bought an E-M10 for my wife. It's a great little camera. I prefer it to my old E-M5.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jssaraiva

jssaraiva Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2013
    Porto, Portugal
    José Saraiva
    My vote is for E-PL7.

I've been a fan of E-PLs, but early this year decided to go for a E-M10 MkII. However, I was quite happy and used to the E-PLs and never got very confortable using the E-M10 MkII.

My cons were:
    1) EVF: if you really need or want it, I find the E-M10 (both MkI and II) is a limited in resolution and size. I'm used to VF-4 and it is on a different league. I always felt I was putting pressure on my eyes to use MkII's EVF. Also, if you like composing with the LCD, EVFs always get in the way. If it is external you can remove it.
    2) The "on/off" switch on the MkII forces you to use both hands to operate and some oportunities don't provide you time for that;
    3) Form of E-PLs is much better for transport. Ok, external VF-4 adds bulk, but even so I find it much easier to carry than the E-M10.

My opinion is that for the very small difference, I would go for E-PL7. If comparison was with E-M5 MkII, that would be a different story...

• Like Like x 1
  16. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think the E-M10ii has the same EVF panel add the VF4.

17. emroz_2272

emroz_2272 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 17, 2012
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Rahat Bin Kamal
    At this point it's mainly between the epl7 and Em10 (mark i). I'm ready to pay an additional 50 USD for the twin dials and 2 programmable buttons (as I intend to use legacy lenses in the future) over the epl7.

But the em10 ii is USD 699 on Amazon whereas the mark I version is USD 399. I'd rather save the 300 (or invest in glass) if the image quality difference is close to negligible.

18. fader

fader Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2016
    Brest, France
    Isaac
    I would go with the 10 in this case. The extra dial and programmable buttons will be indispensable.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jssaraiva

jssaraiva Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2013
    Porto, Portugal
    José Saraiva
    Not sure I understand what you mean with "panel add", English is not my mother tong, but the magnification is different. According to Olympus:
    1) "VF-4 [...] features a 2.36 million dot resolution, an impressive 1.48x magnification" and
    2) On E-M10 MkII specs they show "Eye-level electronic OLED viewfinder, approx. 2.36M-dot resolution" and Magnification " 1.23x at Finder Style 3 (aspect 4:3)" and "
    1.08x at Finder Style 1, 2 (aspect 4:3)"

• Like Like x 1
  20. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I upgraded from an EPM1 to EM10 mk1 and in my opinion the EM10 is a much better camera. When the mkii came out, I read a few reports that mentioned EVF lag. I've never tried a mkii so I can't comment, but it would be something that I'd look into if I were considering one. FWIW, I'm very happy with the EVF on my mk1. I've had 2 Panasonics with field sequential EVFs and I really don't get on with the rainbow tearing effect.

PS, I think pdk meant "as", not "add".

• Like Like x 1