EM10 Night Photography Examples

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mellingerm, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Mellingerm

Mellingerm Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2011

I hope you don't mind me posting this here and please let me know if this is out of bounds, but with people posting various posts about night sky possibilities with the micro 4/3 format, I wanted to share my experience.

I just got back from a trip to Ladakh India where I was on a 17 day trek there. This is dark sky country and so I really wanted to test out my new EM10 and I want to say that I am shocked at how well it performed. Mind you, I was above 4000m, there was no moon and no big villages for miles. But, what surprised me is that this is the first time I've tried this and in general I was impressed with what came straight out of the camera.

I'll post three examples here. Two with milky way and one with star trails. The star trails I used the new live-composition feature. For my photo, I set the ISO to 1600 and took a succession of 8 second photos for 30 minutes. For the milky way, I had the panasonic 14mm 2.5 lens, ISO 3200, shutter speed at 30", apperature at 2.5, gradation set to LOW and manual focus.

If I pixel peep, my focus was a little off. Also, I could improve on the coloration of the photos. I think most of this I could fix in post processing. If anyone has any good tips or guides for post processing these, I'd love to see them. Obviously any focus issues I can't fix.

But, all this to say I think the EM10 is a great camera for night photography under the right conditions especially the fact that these are straight out of camera with no processing whatsoever. Does anyone else have examples of the EM10 with night sky like this, I'd love to see them and see how you did it.

Thanks all!

Tent and Milky Way

Milky Way and Mountain

Star Trails
    • Like Like x 17
  2. penWS

penWS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2013
    New Zealand
    Nice work! Focus looks great to me.
  3. Mellingerm

Mellingerm Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks for the reply penWS

I was looking at your photostream on flickr and noticed your milkyway shots with E-PL5. Amazing work. What do you normally do in post processing to make your milky way shots stand out so much? What program do you recommend?

Thanks....and great work yourself!
  4. penWS

penWS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2013
    New Zealand
    Cheers! I use Lightroom only for most of my photo editing. The normal thing I would do is, up exposure/shadows and down highlights to bring out details in the foreground, then increase clarity and contrast for the the milky way to stand out. If that is not enough I use a graduate filter for the sky only to add more clarity and contrast, but not to the foreground. The white balance normally at around 3900 in RAW.
  5. biza48

biza48 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2014
    These are good shots. If I may add to the previous post, I highly recommend two (free) softwares for night images:

1. StarStax: it stacks consecutive images for star trails, just like the one you got. The advantage is that it uses also dark frames for noise subtraction.

2. Deep Sky Stacker (DSS): this one stacks several images into one, but not for trails. For example, say you take 10 MW images like yours, DSS will first register the images for proper alignment, and then add them. This results in a better result than taking just one single image.
  6. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Fantastic shots. When you use the live composite, how did you do it? I have no idea what I'm doing with it. How did you choose for it to do 8 second photos? Is that customizable, and if so, why 8 seconds?
  7. crossen

crossen Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2014
    These are great images of the Milky Way in Sagittarius, with the Great Sagittarius Star Cloud brightly seen, the teakettle in Sagittarius easily visible, M22 a tiny but distinct dot, M24 is shining brightly, and the Lagoon is a small bright blur. Of course this whole area is wonderful in ordinary binoculars. The star trails image is also excellent.

Also, are you familiar with the astrophotography section of the Cloudy Nights forums? I think it would interest you.