Em10 mkiii to em5.3 or em1.2

Domdooley

New to Mu-43
Hi everyone,

I have a em10.3 which I've had and enjoy using for about 2 years.

I want to change to a weather sealed camera which is suitable for pictures of my fast moving daughter and with the right lens is OK for indoor use. I can't decide between the em5.3 or a used em1.2.

I Iike the smaller form factor but looking longer term if I end up with slightly bigger lenses (12-40 or 12-100) I'm concerned that the 5.3 will be too small for them.

Anyone got any tips or experience of the lenses on the 5.3 compared to the 1.2?

Cheers

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just transitioned from the em10ii to the em5iii and I've been putting it through the motions with the 40-150 2.8 pro. I haven't found that lens on the em5iii to be uncomfortable at all, but I've grown used to it on a small body with the em10ii.

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
I have EM5 mkll and EM1mkl.
Almost always 12-40 f2.8 pro is with EM5 and with EM1 is 40-150 f2.8
12-40 doesn’t feel too big or heavy with EM5.
Only time I use smaller lens - Panasonic 14mm f2.5, is when I want to carry camera in my pocket.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
BATTERY
The EM1-mk2 has a 40% larger battery than the EM5-mk3.
That comes into play with the 12-100/4, as that lens sucks battery power.
On my EM1-mk1, my normal battery life with the Panasonic 12-60 is 4 hours. With the 12-100 it DROPS way down to 2-1/2 hours.
On my EM1-mk2, with its larger battery, the 12-100 will run for about 3-1/2 hours.
This is continuous ON, run time. Like when shooting sports, where the camera does not go to sleep.

The 2-1/2 run time on the EM1-mk1 has another effect, number of batteries.
I have FIVE batteries for my EM1-mk1, just to handle a full day of shooting with the 12-100.

Grip
I do not know about the grip on the EM5-mk3, but I find the large grip on the EM1 very useful to hold the camera as I turn the zoom ring of the 12-40 and 12-100. The Olympus Pro zooms have too much drag (for me). The large grip of the EM1 gives my right hand something to hang on to, as I turn the zoom ring. This is because my right hand has to hold the camera, so it won't rotate with the zoom ring.
This is more of an issue when I have to turn the zoom ring FAST, as when following a fast moving subject, like basketball.

Domdooley

New to Mu-43
Thanks everyone, appreciate the replies and advice.

Looking online a used em1.2 is about £300 cheaper than a new em5.3 making this even more difficult,

Thanks again

Annie

Mu-43 Regular
Looking online a used em1.2 is about £300 cheaper than a new em5.3 making this even more difficult,
Welcome to the club! I noticed the same thing (also considering both cameras!) Happy selecting :)
And... you might want to check out my recent post on a great bundle deal I found on the Oly website: 2 lens and the E-M5 III, plus a camera bag and SD card all for $1,099

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I upgraded from the E-M10II to the E-M5III. I also consider the E-M1II but decided on the E-M5III because of the:

1) Smaller size (only slightly larger than the E-M10II; same weight)
2) In-body battery charging; so, for example, you can charge the battery in the field by using a USB power bank.
3) It uses the SAME battery as the E-M10 (not an "improvement" over the E-M1II, but it is if you already have an E-M10 and batteries for it).

Plus, the improved grip on the E-M5III makes it essentially perfect for me, regardless of the lens (the E-M10s were too hard to hold, IMHO).

Those features were enough for me.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Welcome to the club! I noticed the same thing (also considering both cameras!) Happy selecting :)
And... you might want to check out my recent post on a great bundle deal I found on the Oly website: 2 lens and the E-M5 III, plus a camera bag and SD card all for $1,099

So, did you buy it?

Domdooley

New to Mu-43
Thanks for the tip but I'm in the UK. I'm holding out for a good deal on an em5.3 bundle with a 12-45 lens, the used 1.2 I was looking at has been sold and there's no more available for the same price so I'm going to wait to a deal comes up, cheers

Annie

Mu-43 Regular
I'm holding out for a good deal on an em5.3 bundle with a 12-45 lens
I can relate. I thought that the 25 and 40-150 would be good, but today thinking more like you that I would appreciate the wider zoom, e.g. 12-40 or 12-45. You are right. They are both expensive right now and a used 12-40 still goes for $550 or so. Let's hope for a deal soon ;)

Annie

Mu-43 Regular
So, did you buy it?
Hi Steve,
No -- I sent an email to our local store to see if they would match the deal I referenced and I haven't heard back yet. I am also hoping I can do a demo or Test and WOW. Hoping on Monday or Tuesday I will know. And what I realized today is I really would love to have the 12-40 F/2.8 more than the 25 F/1.8 but then the camera with lens will cost me $1,900 (or the 12-45, $1,600) which is above what I had hoped to pay, but I'd rather get what I want than a lesser substitute, so I am waiting ....

Latest threads

Top Bottom