1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM10 MKI "curtain" frozen covering the sensor

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by runner girl, Apr 20, 2016.

1. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    20160419 KMH10947 OMD MII. [​IMG] I don't know if this is the best description of my issue. However, when I turn the camera on it makes several quick clicks and the material covering the sensor opens and closes VERY quickly - ending up covering the sensor as shown in the photo. Nothing I do solves the issue.

This is a camera I bought used from Adorama less than a year ago. The same thing happened about 5.5 months into its use and I returned it to them for repair as they had a 6 month warranty on it. Now another 5.5 months later the same issue. I'm really trying to decide if it is worth it to repair it again for the same issue or do I just use this as an excuse to get the EM10 MKII. I paid only $350 for the camera and an extra battery so the Olympus "standard" repair fee would be about half of what the camera cost in the first place - and then worry that it will happen again. I contacted Adorama again and they said that they would ask their repair department for some advice.

Has anyone else seen this same issue? If so, did you see repeat events?

2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Check the battery. Mine did that and it was the battery that died (I had a carryover from my old EPL2). It sucked that I lost my extra battery, but it sure was a cheaper fix than I thought I was in for!

3. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I had the same exact thing happen to my E-M10 when I was traveling in Chicago last December. I shut the camera off after taking a few shots and when I turned it back on the shutter was stuck. I sent it in under warranty and it was repaired which I documented in a thread in January. If your camera was repaired by Olympus, when it was returned there was a work sheet included showing all the work they did on you camera. On the second page of that sheet, under Limited Warranty, they indicate that any repairs are covered for a period of 6 months. Get it back to them.

4. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    Thanks, Denny. Apparently Adorama sent it to Olympus for repair - so I'm asking them for that documentation. It definitely isn't the battery. Has yours worked OK since it was fixed?

5. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    My E-M10 seemed to work fine after the repair. However because that happened on the first day of my trip to Chicago, and if it wasn't for the fact that I had my GM-5 in my coat pocket and used that for the remainder of the trip I no longer had faith in the E-M10 series. That body was the third replace or repair of the E-M10 in 6 months. Three black E-M10's in six months with no body having more than 600 shutter trips is ridiculous!!! I documented that in another thread. For years I shot Pentax SLR's and then DSLR's and never, ever, thought of carrying a backup and never had a camera failure. Now with the Olympus cameras I was concerned about going on any sort of trip without a backup. Both my E-M10's were sold and while I do own a E-M5 I am cautious about the reliability of Olympus cameras which has caused me to investigate other cameras.

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Happened to me too and I remember another recent thread about this. Mine did this randomly a few times before remaining definitively stuck.
    Was fixed under warranty with a shutter replacement. After about one year is working fine.

7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Mine did the same thing, and required olympus repair to get it fixed. It was frustrating, I've heard a fair number of similar complaints.

8. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Try swapping the battery though. I thought I was going down the same road but the battery was the actual problem.

9. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    Thanks! I did swap the battery and "no go" - same as last time. This is my "second camera" so I still have my EM5 MKII which has worked great from the beginning - as did the original EM5 until it was stolen...

10. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    By chance did you drop the camera? I dropped my EM10 and the shutter stayed closed like this. My camera was out of warranty, but I sent it in anyway and Olympus charged about $150 to fix it.

11. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    As an update... I heard from Adorama today (delayed due to their Passover closing). I am to return it to them at their cost for repair or replacement. I think that is pretty good for a used camera that failed almost at the end of their 6 month warranty and then failed about 6 months later after they'd sent it to Olympus for repair - for a camera that cost me about $300.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    thumbs up :thumbup: to Adorama/Olympus for honouring an almost expired warranty. At least it happened to you within warranty period since, as Murphy's Law has it, it always happens just after it expired :mad:
    I am on my second E-M5 (two different cameras) with faulty shutter.... no they don't make them like thy used to, that is sure :frown:

13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, as a counter my E-M5 is now at 35000 clicks and still going strong (I think).