EM10 mk2 silent shutter is defective

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by aphasiac, Nov 3, 2015.

1. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    One of the main reasons I upgraded to the EM10 mk10 is for the silent shutter - but out of the box unfortunately it's broken.

On normal Olympus cameras, in auto or Aperture Priority modes, the camera will set the minimum shutter speed to 1/(focus length x 2) or to the speed set under "flash slow limit", whichever one is higher.

So for example, with my LUMIX 20/1.7 it tries to set shutter speeds to 1/40 to prevent shake, which is fine although is often too slow to photograph people in motion, so I set "flash slow limit" to 1/60 or 1/80 depending on the situation. These rules work okay and apply when the EM10 mk2 is in mechanical shutter mode.

When the EM10 mk2 is switched to silent shutter, the flash is automatically disabled, so flash slow limit" is now ignored. But the 1/(focus length x 2) rule is ignored too; instead no matter which lens you're using, the camera tries to set the shutter speed to 1/20, and will only increase it once ISO hits 200 and the scenes looks over-exposed. Already this has caused me to get a number of blurry shots, as even the 5-axis stabilization can't compensate for 1/20 when using the EZ zoom at 42mm (84mm equivalent).

I wonder, does the EM5 mk2 have the same problem?

I really want to use silent shutter all the time as it saves wear and tear on the camera hardware, as well as preventing shutter shock. One can get around this by shooting in full manual mode, but 90% of the time I use A mode. I wish Olympus would just add a universal "minimum shutter speed" setting like many DSLRs have.
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    That's unfortunate... What happens in Shutter priority mode; will it use the electronic shutter?
  3. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Works fine in S mode, but then the camera chooses the aperture (which I don't like!)
  4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    It's not defective, it just doesn't work the way you want it to. My LX100 also will not operate a flash in electronic shutter mode. This is a function of how the sensor is used to emulate a shutter in this mode.